Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
i was talking about being stoked about going to ride this weekend. he interupted and said
"wakeboarding is for people who dont have the talent to play real sports"

the kids i chill with say i should beat his ass. haha
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-17-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
lol dont beat his a$$ just challenge him u go play one of his sport and u take him boarding and see who does better!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
hahahahha. i like that. he plays lacrosse. and im actually like 10 times better at it then he is. i used to play hockey. same basic thing.
and ill back roll over him on a wakeboard
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-17-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
Who gives a damn. I've though about this all the time, considering almost every one of my friends are all-state athletes for their respective varsity sports. They joke around saying if our school had a wakeboard team, I would run that.
Old     (krkx93)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-17-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
wut kind of douchey ass would say such thing

he should be on the list for extreme ass beatings :-)
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
^^^ The kind that sux at all sports, including wakeboarding..

I would be like.. "Let's go outside and play some basketball, or football, or any sport and I will smoke your a$$"!

Have a decathalon and see who's a better athlete

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-17-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
he might be one of those a$$inine people who are all "technical" on the "definition" of a "sport" and say that it "must include two teams simultaneously playing, because only in this way does real competition happen"

i have heard "sport(s)" defined this way... ummm ok? i kinda get your idea yea uhh whatever

I dealt with this kind of comments all through highschool when i tried to get peeps interested in wake. now a lot of the nay sayers wakeboard now hahahahah}
Old    walt            10-17-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
Hook him up with one of these while speaking German. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/636178.html?1224208966
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
I play varsity basketball and I would probably say wakeboarding is harder and takes more cajones.
Old     (mcclure_kevo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-18-2008, 12:37 AM Reply   
i had seven varsity seasons between my sports in highschool and wakeboarding is much harder to be competitive in then football track and feild or wrestling
Old     (scooby212)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-18-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
"If it were easy, they'd call it wakeboarding"...i can't count how many times i've heard this from slalom skiers..what is their problem??? anybody else catch any flak??
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-18-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
I agree with Walt...
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       10-18-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Well anybody who wants to challenge that with me, I will see them on the court. Lear, that goes for you too! Lexy my a$$!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Dude you took it personally??? HE PLAYS LACROSE! hahahahahaha WHO CARES. I could see this comming from a football, basketball, and maybe a soccer player. But Lacrose? For real?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Like Dave said LACROSE? I didn't even know we played that on the west coast.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Dude i get that same thing too, im pretty good at extreme sports, snowboarding, wakeboaring, motox, skating, mtbing, karting, auto racing, all that junk. I play lax as well and its a blast, im the kid that doesnt really touch the ball but fn lights kids up. I dont go for the ball I go for the player and the penalty haha. I play football as well and not a star player but a decent wr and db.

Jeff, LAX is getting HUGE on the west coast, slowly though, each year it becomes bigger and bigger, at my school (bellevue high) we are currently trying to get lax to be a school sport instead of a club sport.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-18-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
im pretty good at "real" sports like soccer basketball and baseball but wakeboarding is by far the most relaxing...accept for the injuries
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Hey twitch im not downing the sport and it may be getting bigger but lets just face it bro its not ever gunna be the next NFL or MLB. Its Lacrose. Compare the amount of schools on the west coast that have a football and baseball team to the schools that have lacrose. Huge significance. You kinda put it into terms yourself in your post. "LAX is getting HUGE, slowly though" Once again Im not downing you or the sport just saying that trying to compare wakeboarding to Lacrose is comparing having tea and scrumpits to a Carls Jr. 6 dollar burger hahaha.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
I cant believe I just made those comparisons. It must be Saturday morning
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-18-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
"wakeboarding is for people who dont have the talent to play real sports"

You should have told him... "No, you're thinking of ESPN".
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-18-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
that's hilarious. Unfortunately, some of the most talented riders I ride with are kids who don't have much time to ride because of sports that pay for their college scholarships.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-18-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
on the d-bag's side some of theeee most athletic people I have ever met (college football - basketball players) I've met cannot wakeboard to save their life....they try to muscle to much and look retarded.

When I worked at a wakeboard school there was a guy - full ride to Uw-Madison for football - took him like 13 tries to get up, just wouldnt listen to me when I said, DO NOTHING BUT HANG ON..... then his 12 year old sister popped right up.

I couldn't poke fun because he woulda ripped my head off but thats just how it is... a good wakeboarder is an athlete but 100% opposite of a football/basketball athlete.... two different worlds
Old     (longlakerider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-18-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
dave, it is getting a lot bigger though. ecpecially in the north east, my schools ranked like number 3 or something in the nation for lax, and it might just be here but every fall and winter sport is "cross training" for lax, and like 5 kids get d1 dull rides every year
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
Thats cool man. I dont know much about it. Its just not nearly as popular where Im at. Especially compared to football, basketball, and baseball so its a bit of a BOLD statement. That was my only point brotha
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Well yeah its not as big but i think eventually it might be, Im just saying on the west coast its getting a lot bigger as to a few years ago it wasnt even known of. I get what your saying but every year the amount of kids playing increases. Its an awesome sport. I think on the east coast it might get to NHL level i dunno though.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-18-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
Calder what school do you go to?
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-18-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
even fat kids can play lacrosse. I thought field hockey was a chick sport?
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-18-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
there are a ton of people that are great at one sport but there are a few who are just natural athletes with raw talent and i think that people like that things just come natural to them...its true that if someone practices any sport and puts enough time an hard work into it they are going to have to be good the same with wakeboarding the only difference is that in wakeboarding it is tough to be great off of the back of just some tiny old boat you need to have some expensive boat with a big wake and nice tower if they plan on going anywhere
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-18-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
Ringo, what are you talking about? Fat kids play all sports, especially the more popular ones like football! But thats probably because lacrosse requires much more running than being a lineman. Lacrosse is huge on the East coast so if you aren't on the East Coast you probably just don't fully understand.
Old    gotwake123            10-18-2008, 11:09 PM Reply   
Ringo your an idiot!!!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-19-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
"If it were easy, they'd call it wakeboarding"...

It's normally trick skiers that say that. At the Masters I saw some of them wearing T shirts with that on. Bit rich coming from the gayest sport of them all.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Wake has always gotten a bum rap from the other water tow sports. And some of it is with reason. Frankly, I've done them all and wake is the easiest to pick up. BUT it is harder to be any good at.

The fact that it is so easy to get up on a wakeboard, when compaired to a single, trick, or barefoot...Wake will also have that stigma with the others.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
lacrosse, baseball, football, and basketball are games. Wakeboarding is a sport
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-19-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
Trick skiing is for fat kids too
Old    dperizzolo            10-19-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
what evs guys, they are all sports, this guy was just ignorant.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-19-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
I've observed that macho a-holes have the most trouble when I try to teach them how to wakeboard for the first time.
Old    murrayair            10-19-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Every single water skier that has given me the "if it were easy, they'd call it wakeboarding" comment are ego-driven jerks that just can't come to terms with wakeboarding taking waterskiing's place as the most popular water sport. My cousin was a professional waterskiier for a long time and she thinks wakeboarding is great. She loves to take people out on her boat who have never been on the water before.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I stopped playing baseball so i could wakeboard....after high school, I could have played baseball at my JC but it would have required me to play baseball all summer long basically....and I figured Im not gonna go pro so I'll give up baseball and just wakeboard...plus wakeboarding is the only sport where you can relax and drink beers with girls in bikinis while your doing it haha
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
some people are just not built for wakeboarding but they are built for their sport(s) i am 6 ft 5 and im not a very good wakeboarder but i am pretty good at the sports i do play...you guys try having "some buff guy" teach you how to play their sport and they will be frustrated as well
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-19-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
star quarterback at my school givs me this crap all the time...i keep tellin him to cmon out then but he has yet to show...he isnt really even that good..just thinks he is..our school has played a couple of joke teams the past few weeks and dominated...then they got they're panties all in a wod and want to try to play a real school and......got shut down...it kinda made me laugh tho...
Old     (longlakerider)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-19-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
twitch, i got to darien high school in darien, ct
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-19-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
darien isnt even ranked I dont think...
Old     (squirrel_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-19-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
wakeboarding is at the bottom of the extreme sports chain, not to mention it was kicked out of xgames
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-20-2008, 6:11 AM Reply   
To me, wakeboarding is infinitely more fun than any mainstream sport. I was in the same boat as Nick, and I sure as heck wasn't giving up wakeboarding for more baseball.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-20-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Been reading this post for a while and thought I would chime in. David I noticed you are 16 and I thought you could use some advice on the situation from me (a 30 yr old). Alright here is how this shakes down. A very small percentage of athletes of mainstream sports play at the college level, and even less at the pro level. With that being said the glory days will be over before you know it. So just keep riding and getting better. After college you will still have a boat full of half naked girls to impress and he will be at home holding his balls looking for someone to play with. On a side note. Here in the southeast most athletes in high school tend to pick on people in the band. Well think about that, most of them grow up to be musicians. Even the ugliest guitar players in the world have women all over them. In short, he may have a point now, but your sport will have you impressing girls and having a blast years after the glory days of high school and college sports are over.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-20-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
well put JDUB
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-20-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
atta boy JDUB... well stated... don't peak in HS (a lot of "athletes" do... it's trivial and there is way too much better stuff to get into afterward... college and post is when it's fun... you get to do more of what you want w/ a lot more money... shake the haters and ride
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-20-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Great advice JDUB, I wish someone had given me that advice when I was 16, especially about the half naked girls!!
Old    dperizzolo            10-20-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Yeah in all honesty, when you get to university it doesn't matter anyways. everyone does their own thing and has fun doing it. just keep doing what you love.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-20-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
Ringo- "Trick skiing is for fat kids too"

WTF???????? Did I miss something

Kyle- "Wakeboarding was kicked out of the Xgames"

Its not the only sport kicked out of the Xgames so to say its at the bottom of the chain isnt true. It was kicked out because it couldnt be held ON SITE. Not because it wasnt a desirable sport thats why they had a RAIL JAM ON SITE.
Old     (squirrel_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-20-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
Nice coverup story, if makes you feel better
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-21-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
I played them all growing up......Even baseball in college. Wakeboarding and Motor Cross are by far the most physically demanding.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I guess you are right now that i think about it wakeboarding for 2 hours is much harder than playing basketball for 2 hours
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-21-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
i sure as heck cant do any kind of sports (unless your group poker into sports). playing fetch with my dog is tough enough, let alone trying to throw some ball through a metal ring or something crazy like that.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-21-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
bottom of the chain?

look at where skimboarding, flowboarding, mountainboarding, streetboarding, snowskating, and inline are. just to name a few