Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Went out early this morning. Took my first set and went through my routine of getting stretched and warmed up. I had my friend driving who has never pulled before because my regular was out. As I was making cuts, people shifted around and the wake was way off from what I'm used to. No big deal, hit it or quit it. Cut into the wake for a simple W2W jump and came off the lip a little funny. Trying to correct in the air and got a little off axis. Landed tail tip first and slightly twited. Right knee goes pop and felt like I had been shocked. Pain shot all the way down to my heel then it went numb for a few. Obviously I immediately knew something was wrong so I got out. Now 5 hours later it's swollen, stiff, still hurts, can't put much weight on it and when I do it feels very unstable.
I got a Dr. appointment in the AM. I'm being optomistic and hoping it's just a hyperextension or something, but I'm scared it's ACL and/or MCL.
Just wondering how it felt for you guys that have torn the ACL. Is there a sign to look for that's a potential dead give away that it's torn or not? I'll know soon either way, but it would be nice to ease my mind a little. Too bad I don't smoke or I'd have a bowl fired up right now.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-27-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
The popping noise is the key. If it was a loud pop that is seriously bad news. Doc will be able to tell you in the morning though
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-27-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
You know, I don't remember if I heard and audible pop or not. My ears suck though so who knows. I know I felt the pop though. My knee feels exactly like my shoulder did when I tore the ligament in it. That's what scares me the most because it's a familiar pain in a different area.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
i have a similar story but with less of a potential scary outcome. but i had some different people and different driver and a different boat too. and i got this Charley horse that doesn't seem to go away the next day. for me its just the case of delayed onset muscle soreness. for you, hopefully its no more than some strain or something

hope the best for ya.
Old     (jpods22)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
try and get that swelling down before mri.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
I went and got an MRI yesterday, still waiting on results. Dr. said they are fairly confident it's the ACL though. I should find out today.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
I tore my ACL (and had surgery) when I was 14. It was HS wrestling during the 3rd match of my first (as a soph) quad meet. That meant 3 competitive matches in an afternoon.

My opponent twisted my my knee by the ankle while mat wresting. I heard nothing, really didn't feel anything, and didn't know I was injured until I tried to stand (which I couldn't, because the torn meniscus had flipped into my knee joint like a bucket handle, and blocked full extension).

I finished the match, winning it.

So what you heard and felt aren't perfect indicators of what's your injury.

You're goint to the doctor, right? Let the doctor play doctor.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-29-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
I didnt know I tore mine until a month later after I got the MRI. Never had any weakness or instability but it was definitely torn (the doctor said it looked like a bomb went off in my knee), the only reason I went in in the first place was because my meniscus was troubling me so I got a big surprise that day when the doctor told me the news.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-29-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
Meniscus tear is certain I would say.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-29-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Hope you get the results soon - sometimes it's the waiting that's the hardest part. Once you know for sure you can start taking action!
for me though - the popping definitely screams ACL tear. I heard/felt the pop both times I tore mine. your whole scenario sounds exactly like the 2nd time I tore mine, except i was going for a hs 180 but it felt all wrong and i pulled out of it - landing like you did - tail heavy, a bit twisted and with a straight front leg.
Let us know how it turns out.
Nothing you've said makes me think meniscus though - hopefully it will just be a nice straightforward ligament reco.