Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
Can anyone tell me if this prop can be repaired or do I have to purchase a new one. I hit a rock yesterday in the 5 mph zone. Luckily there is no hull damage but im taking it into the dealer to make sure there is no shaft or transmission damage. I was a little pissed when I saw the damage because we were in the makred water ways leaving the ramp. You would think they would mark such a hazzard because it was right in the middle. Im sure im not the only on who has hit it because it was so such a big rock plus it screwed up our day. The other reason I was pissed is because I have only had the boat one week and only gottne to board behind it a few times.
Thanks for the infor.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-29-2004, 5:34 PM Reply   
Hard to say. It looks like an Acme. Nothing missing, so it should be OK after some work. I carry the Acme Weekend Saver Kit. Prop, acessories, puller, tools, all in one kit. Have two props. Just like a spare tire.

rider@boarditup.com
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-29-2004, 5:50 PM Reply   
Doesn't look too bad. I have had worse that were repaired. Now I keep a spare in the truck just in case.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-29-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
Yeah it is an acme. I got my spare in the mail on saturday after this happened. Now I have a spare in case this happens again.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-29-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
Ya that's fixable...mine was worse, bent and with chunks missing...BUT, make sure they have the right mandril for your pitch...when i had mine fixed in Havasu they didn't have a 11.5..but this guy was good...came out great!!!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-29-2004, 11:18 PM Reply   
Rod,

The dealer will most likely tell you that the shaft is bent, strut needs to be replaced, motor needs alignment and have you turn it into your insurance for a whopping bill of $3k +/-.

In my opinion I would say that the prop is easily fixable with no other damage, total bill $125 +/-.

It really depends on who you want to believe.

My suggestion is to buy a spare prop and see if runs without vibration. If it doesn't vibrate then it is unlikely that any other damage exists. Get the bent prop repaired for use as a spare. This is your opportunity to try one of the newer oversized 3 blade Acmes or a different prop size.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
Got great news back. Shaft isnt bent nothing wrong with the transmission, all is well. The dealer is going to send out my prop for repair and I should have it back next week.
Total cost to check out the boat = $0.00.
I have a great nauutique dealer. Rons Marine in Fresno rocks.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
Good news Rod. Nice SAN. How does the wake and overall ride compare to your Avalanche?
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-30-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
Lance,
The overall ride of both boats is great. The Avalanche tends to ride better in rough water because it has suck a deep hull. It cust the chop a lot better but overall performance that SAN has the Avalanche beat. The avalanche tends to cavitate on hard turns and it take a lot of muscle to actually turn the boat. THe san is very easy on the driver. The steering is precise and accurate without any cavitation. I have tried to break the san loose doing power turns and cant, I could with my avalanche. The wakes are totally different. The avalanche has a good wake but it always tends to roll on one side. In addition the avalanche wake sees a bit rampy as well as soft. I had to put a lot of weight in the boat to get a decent size wake. Buy no means is it a bad wake at all but it can compare to the san. The san wake has a lot more transition and you get more pop off of it. So far I have yet to expermint with weighting the boat. Were using the stock ballast rear tanks and putting a fat sac where the belly tank shoould be. I think the wake is great. The one are the avalanche has the san beat is storage. I do miss that but I have scaled down my gear so I can get all of it in the boat.

I know that I came off like I was basing the avalanche but that wasnt my intention. I feel that since I have owned one I have an honest opinion about it. I hate it when people say something sucks and they have never even used it or ridden behind it.

I hope that helps.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
That's a good evaluation. It is good to hear the Avalanche can somewhat compete with a SAN.

Your SAN is beautiful. Happy Boarding.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
Wow i'm surprised they could fix that. I had one that was 10 times better off and they said they couldn't. They said the ACME rep gave it the DOA, I got the prop back. Maybe I will take it for a second opinion.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-31-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
Acme's have a unique design. Make sure the repair shop has the Acme pitch blocks or the shape will not be right. When in doubt, call Acme. They know who has the correct pitch blocks in your area.

rider@boarditup.com
Old    awiggy33            09-22-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
ouch. not to self: stop hitting rocks