Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-01-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Had my ACL reconstructed yesterday, Holy crap does it hurt. I am taking Oxycodone, Ibuprophen and some other stuff for infection. When can I expect it to not keep me up all night. I once broke 4 ribs and took Vicoden, and Coors....Felt fine after but this knee is killing me.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-01-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
worst ever man, i know your pain, expect to be laid up in pain for at least a week or two. But it will get better. It will. You should really ask for vikes or perks, i think they work better than oxycodone. Make sure you do all you rehab and everything they tell you to do. Good luck. And expect some pain when you first start to bend your nknee again. But like i said progress will go quickly.
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
Your femoral block probably just wore off. I had both knees done last year about 4 weeks apart and both were a little different. I was down to just 400mg Ibuprofen morning and night by my 4th day out of surgery. The first two days after are the worst so take your meds and don't suffer thru the pain. Get to your physical therapy. Good luck.
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-01-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Had mine done last year and I was on oxycodone for the first 4 days or so but when the pain went down I was prescribed hydrocodone or whatever they are called. The keeping you awake all night thing sucks and will keep doing that until the doc unlocks your brace and you can actually sleep normally. For sure get right into PT though, it sucks at first but it is the only way to rehab your knee and rebuild muscle. Good luck.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-01-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Just an fyi Oxycodone and perks (percicet) are the same thing. Just like hydrocodone is Vicodine.

"Know your meds, know your doses, know your meds, know your doses"

Sorry, just a random 12 Monkey's quote.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-01-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
I just tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus this past Sunday.. Looks like it will be a fun winter for us : ).

Good luck with your knee

CH
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
Everyday gets better!

I don't know about a blown knee but just broke my leg 2 weeks ago with surgery a week ago and the first 2 days sucked so bad but it gets better everyday!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
I'm surprised people don't talk about the pain more. I "only" had MCL and meniscus surgery but I didn't sleep thru the night for about the first month. I have a prett high tolerance for pain, but the first few weeks were BAD.
Old     (hollylog21)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-01-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Are you effin' serious? I tore my ACL, LCL, lateral meniscus, and partially tore my MCL almost 4 weeks ago. Can't bend my knee - finally seeing a surgeon this Monday! They thought it was a sprain @ first!

Now I'm a little freaked out about the recovery...
Old    justinh            10-01-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
I like the statement everyday gets better. Soon as the block wears off is the worst you will ever feel. Everyday gets better.

I'm 7 years out and I can't even tell you the last time I thought about it. Good Luck on your recovery.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-01-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Ask for morphine or MS coton, oxycodone pure is stronger than perkocet, perk is stronger than vicodine. Stay off ibuprophen, you dont want blood clots. Use tylenol instead.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Morphine lollipops, ARE THE BEST!!!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-02-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Shawn - Ibuprofen is a blood thinner, which prevents blood clots. Tylenol can do exactly the opposite by causing abnormal bleeding sometime.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
if you have had any work done to bone, do not take IB it inhibits bone regeneration. Will not stop it but it slows it WAY down.
Old     (cwbrider1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-02-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Eric, when I had my acl amd miniscus done 4 years as soon as I got home they had me on cpm machine,it kept my knee moving 24 hrs a day until I reached a certain degree. pain lasted a couple of days. good luck.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-02-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
Shawn - sorry for trying to correct you earlier. my source of info has recently changed her mind and notified me that neither ibuprofen nor acetaminophin are considerd to be actual "blood thinners". after doing my own research i found they are actually both anti-inflamatory (but not 'thinners') drugs, and can both cause irregularities in your blood. my bad mang.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-02-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
Shawn - sorry for trying to correct you earlier. my source of info has recently changed her mind and notified me that neither ibuprofen nor acetaminophin are considerd to be actual "blood thinners". after doing my own research i found they are actually both anti-inflamatory (but are not 'thinners') drugs, and can both cause irregularities in your blood. my bad mang.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-02-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Jay- Its all good, I told my doctor I didnt want to take any more pain meds cause it was screwing with my body so much. He told me to use acetaminophen before ibuprofen, so who the hell knows. If I ask another doctor they'll prolly say take ibuprofen.
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-03-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Well it has been three days now and I feel sooooooo...Much better. Still taking the meds but I can sleep now and did some rehab on Thursday. Everyday does get better so if you have this done, day one sucks, but by day three you will feel okay.
Old     (goldilocks)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-03-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Shawn: The reason why he prob told you to take acetaminophen before ibuprofen is cuz it can be so hard on your stomach (make you sick). Acetaminophen is already in a lot of pain medications such as vicodin combined with a narcotic to help with pain more effectively so you just have to watch how much acetaminophen you are getting. The max you should have in a 24 hour period is four grams.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Cool, thanks becca. Perkocet is good as well, it has oxycodone and tylenol in it.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-03-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
My Doc told me to take Ibuprofen. It's crazy how before I got hurt I would eat a vicodin here and there for fun, now that i am hurt it's the last thing i want in body cause taking them day in and day out is very depressing!

Can't wait to start therapy on Tuesday!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-03-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Eric which procedure did you have done, Patella or hamstring graph? I go in for surgery next month and chose the hamstring graph.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-03-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
tore my petullar tendon 10 weeks ago. The pain for me was a full 6-7 days with the pain pills. after the first week I could feel the knee getting better every day.

worst part for me is my leg looks like a bone with jello attached
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Yeh Tuna my leg same thing, its like I have no Quad muscle at all just a bone.
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-03-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
I had the pattella tendon off of a dead body. The Doc said either way will work the same but that it takes a little more time for the hamstring to heal also.
Old     (goldilocks)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-06-2008, 4:43 AM Reply   
ugh, sounds real painful guys. Hope all goes well with therapy! Good luck!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
I am very surprised you're having that much pain from an allograft.
There isn't as much trauma as compared to using your own patella or hamstring.
I had a 3 in1 nerve block and didn't need any pain meds after day 2.
Back to work in 10 days.