Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       06-26-2017, 10:33 AM Reply   
Ok I have researched this but not found to much on this website on here, except from 2004. So I notice this weekend, we had stock ballast filled, and extra 1100 lb filled to probably 950 or 1000 lbs, and 5 people in the boat. Most are very small. The 05 supra 24 Launch was struggling to get up. It wouldn't plain but more so it was hard to get out of the hole. I believe its the smaller engine. It also to my belief has an OJ prop, the numbers I had it pulls up 4 blade OJ prop. I think those were stock on supra. Does anyone have any thoughts on the props, does it make that huge impact? They are mostly wake boarders and like to cruise, but we been teaching them to surf and love it. The research I found is OJ prop is better over all but the acme is better just for wake surfing. You will run at higher rpms and lower speeds over all. IS this true? Any thoughts?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-26-2017, 10:47 AM Reply   
Which prop do you have exactly?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-26-2017, 11:53 AM Reply   
I prefer Acme but everything depends on your elevation, how much weight, how much top end are willing to sacrifice. If you are at elevation my money says an acme 1235 or 2315 would suit you fine & you can find them cheap online
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       06-26-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Which prop do you have exactly?
I believe its oj, I took pics and the stuff stamped on the prop is mvc hc oj maybe 13.7 by 17.5
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-26-2017, 3:01 PM Reply   
13.7" diameter sounds weird, and tiny. 17 pitch would be terrible for heavy ballast and surfing. My buddy might have a 1235 for sale if you're interested. Just PM me
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-26-2017, 3:02 PM Reply   
Post the pics you took of the numbers too.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-26-2017, 9:00 PM Reply   
Your best bet is to either call ACME directly.....or Call Nettle Props in Austin, TX @ 512-837-7707. Tell them what boat you have and what you want to do and they will tell you EXACTLY which prop you need. If you buy from them, they guarantee it will do what you want or they give you new prop....or they can tell you what prop you need and then you can try to find a used one.
But to answer your question, the prop makes all the difference in the world on a surf boat. You can turn a slug, into a stump puller. Usually you will give up some top end, but it all depends on your boat/engine. I have a performance prop on my boat which has crazy low end, I can put on 4900lbs of ballast and add 8-10 people in boat and still no issue....and my surf speed rpm @ 11mph is only 3400. With ZR409 engine....I average between 4-5 gallons per hour on fuel which is awesome. Still have top end of 40mph at 5500rpm tho I never go that fast. Cruising speed for me is 25 usually...sometimes 30mph. Get a new prop and you wont have any more issues surfing with ballast and you will STILL have no issue wakeboarding. Whomever told you that an ACME prop is only for surfing has no clue what they are talking about....just need to get the right prop and you can do both and keep your rpm's down doing it.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-27-2017, 6:40 AM Reply   
I'm gonna suggest Nettles, I am at altitude & so far my experience with Acme have been wrong every time. You have to appreciate from Acme though that they cannot suggest a bigger prop than what your manufacturer suggests for your boat. IE: MB says no more than 14.5" so the won't suggest a prop bigger than that when a 15" works just fine & better.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
seems foolish to not follow OEM prop recommendations. Could you get away with a bigger prop? maybe, just a huge gray area. I'd avoid it as well, just like they are.

define your typical ballast setup, your primary focus, engine output and any other factors (top end). Prop makers can point you in the right direction. OJ props are fine, you just need a lower pitch. I roll a 13" dia x 10.5" pitch 3 blade (ACME 911) on my loaded down 23'. bigger isn't always better, especially with small engine. 4 blade isn't always better either.

buy the c-clamp prop remover and keep current as a spare. the "weekend saver"
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       06-28-2017, 9:30 AM Reply   
for whatever reason it wont let me put the pic up, I don't get why its not letting me.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-28-2017, 2:24 PM Reply   
Sent you a PM
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-05-2017, 6:26 AM Reply   
Ok, this weekend, we still haven't switched the props. We had fat sacks filled so 3500 in ballast, and probably another 1600 lbs in people in the boat. It through out a good wave but could not get out of the hole at all. Wouldn't plane either when trying to get back to do after taking suck gate off. He refused to pump the ballast out. Then, suck gate, plus 13 people 4 kids, and 7 adults in the boat, we couldn't get a wake at all to curl. It wasn't my boat, it was a supra 24 launch 05. Its not my boat so people don't want to list, but they all think the suck gate means you can sit anywhere you want. I have told them for a long time do to the prop rotation their supra would be nasty wave on the regular side, of course they don't listen. SO I switched everything without anyone knowing and it was sick. But they wanted goofy, we couldn't get a wake at all and my opinion was the prop was struggling with so much weight, and the weight was so evening displaced. I will call that group in TX but does anyone know is there a place close to Knoxville TN that you can get the ACME from, I mean do dealerships carry them or are they more expensive that way?
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-05-2017, 10:05 AM Reply   
Just order a prop from Nettle Props
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-05-2017, 10:07 AM Reply   
Dealerships are not going to offer a full range of size/pitch/cup because there are just too many. And from personal experience, my local dealership is about $100 more than online. They also tried to sell me a prop that wasn't even close to recommended.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       07-05-2017, 11:22 AM Reply   
will do, I will call them! thanks guys! I need to look at my prop I never realized what mine is.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2017, 2:49 PM Reply   
you're looking for shaft diameter - likely 1 1/8". and prop rotation. LH or RH. They'll recommend the rest

also, prop rotation isn't going to change. so you may still be stuck with a sub par wave on that side. However, getting the boat up to speed will definitely clean things up.