Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (cpt_tripps)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-16-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
I own an 04 XLV. I have 4 tower speakers with lights on the tower. I love the boat, but I have noticed the tower has ALOT of sway. I was somewhat concerned with the tower instability issues when I first purchased the boat, but was assured that it wouldn't affect anything. I notice that when hitting a wake or pulling to boat behind the truck and I hit a bump the tower sways from side to side alot more than any other boat I have seen.

Everytime I take my boat in for serivce or warranty work I request the tower to be tightened, but this does little to resolve the issue.

I noticed that Skiers Choice addressed the instability in the XLV tower by placing larger base plates on the tower of the 05 XLV and from what i could tell at the boat show it seems to have resolved the problem.

This sway is causing small spider cracks in the gelcoat. I spoke with my dealer and they are going to "tighten" the tower yet again, but this will not fix the problem I am sure.

I am concerned that over the life of the boat this will cause structural damage to both the tower and the boat.

Is there something Skiers Choice is doing to resolve these issues? Am I the only one that notices this with thier boat? Is this something I should be worried about. There is easily 3-4+ inches of side to side sway in the tower and little to none on the new towers.

If you an XLV does this happen to your boat also? The tower isn't likley to fall down or anyhing but it does look like it could become an issue, especially with all the weight on the tower.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-16-2005, 10:55 AM Reply   
I have a buddy with the 04 GG XLV. He has no sway and his tower is very sturdy. Bigger base plates and re-enforcement may help a bit. I'm probably going to do the same thing on my boat. I have the NVS speakers on mine (close to 80lbs) I'll get 3-4 inches of sway in mine too. The tower manufacturer said the tower will be fine but long term it may hurt the boat. I have an older 96 MC PS. Right now my tower has large wahers (~3inch diameter) as backing plates. How big are your backing plates. I may start by just adding more glass to the area.

That is definitely an issue you need to take up w/ your dealer. They should have that fixed, if tightening hasn't helped they should do more.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on February 16, 2005)
Old     (cpt_tripps)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-16-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
I have taken it up with my dealer and I am sure they will resolve the issue.

I was curious if this was happening to towers of other XLV's and apparetnly it might be isolated to mine.

I appreciate the help.

Mike
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-16-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
Mike- I am glad you brought up this issue. I have an 04 XLV and have observed the exact same thing. It's something I have looked into and will continue to until I resolve my issue. I have spoken to a few dealers about it. Mine did develope spider cracks around three of the four legs. They did repair those under warranty, but I'm pretty sure they will come back again. One thing I talked to a dealer about was bigger mounting plates under the decking. It would be better to have larger mounting plates/feet like on the new ones, but I doubt the manufacturer will pony up on that one. Tightening seems to help alot for other people and maybe it's because they have larger mounting plates under the decking. Keep me up on what you find out and I'll do the same.
Old     (cpt_tripps)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-17-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
Kraig

Did you get larger mounting plates on the underneath side of the tower?

The large footpads on the 05 tower seems to really fix the problem. I don't know what the resolution will be, but I would imagine that a larger foot pad on the deck is going to be the solution.

If you put a larger mounting plate on the bottom there is still going ot be a twisting of the tower on the top side.

I will let you know what the resolution is. I am sure they will get it worked out here shortly.