Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-07-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
I know this is off topic and admin feel free to move it or delete. But it's a MINI PICKLE! I LOVE it!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-07-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
Haha! That's pretty bitchin'!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-07-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
If you had told me the new prostar was going to be a pickle, I woulda lmao. I LOVE it though.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-07-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Love it!!!!!!

Can't wait to ski one.

That Bimini is sick.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Very disappointed. A useless pickle fork is pointless, I don't get why they can't incorporate/design them to actually be useful (as in a stepping area), especially when these boats are navigating tight areas and small lakes/docks all the time. The convertible open/closed bow is very nice, as long as it holds up (although I doubt it has storage like a usual closed bow).

MC really needs to evaluate their social media in general. Whomever runs/manages it is downright terrible at their role, this launch is pathetic, they don't understand the customer and what they would like to see and are interested in, and overall devalue the company and boat by such a weak and elementary social media presence. Social media can greatly help a company, but can do the opposite even quicker if not managed well.

We'd been holding out on getting a CC200 to see what this would be. Picklefork alone will probably make the decision to go with the 200, but at least some of you like it.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-07-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Very disappointed. A useless pickle fork is pointless, I don't get why they can't incorporate/design them to actually be useful (as in a stepping area), especially when these boats are navigating tight areas and small lakes/docks all the time. The convertible open/closed bow is very nice, as long as it holds up (although I doubt it has storage like a usual closed bow).

MC really needs to evaluate their social media in general. Whomever runs/manages it is downright terrible at their role, this launch is pathetic, they don't understand the customer and what they would like to see and are interested in, and overall devalue the company and boat by such a weak and elementary social media presence. Social media can greatly help a company, but can do the opposite even quicker if not managed well.

We'd been holding out on getting a CC200 to see what this would be. Picklefork alone will probably make the decision to go with the 200, but at least some of you like it.
So, there is a big step area on the front of the CC200?? I don't really get what you are driving at..... A small step surface is better than no step surface, right? I am glad they didn't do some huge superfly bow just so they could have a 4' wide step up there. It is clearly just a style cue, and to give a small amount of extra room in the bow. It has steps midship, and on the rear, which is more than most ski boats have. Besides, a 197 is so agile around the docks....

I agree on the social media comments. Most of the initial hate for the new XStar came from a poorly executed launch of it. Why they ever showed the development video with all of the crap wake footage is beyond me.....Sure, they figured it out, but they didn't show any good footage from the actual production XStar until several months after the launch. Bad idea.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-07-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
That is a sharp looking boat! I love that mini pickle fork even if it's just a design element!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
So, there is a big step area on the front of the CC200?? I don't really get what you are driving at..... A small step surface is better than no step surface, right? I am glad they didn't do some huge superfly bow just so they could have a 4' wide step up there. It is clearly just a style cue, and to give a small amount of extra room in the bow. It has steps midship, and on the rear, which is more than most ski boats have. Besides, a 197 is so agile around the docks....

I agree on the social media comments. Most of the initial hate for the new XStar came from a poorly executed launch of it. Why they ever showed the development video with all of the crap wake footage is beyond me.....Sure, they figured it out, but they didn't show any good footage from the actual production XStar until several months after the launch. Bad idea.
No, but you can use/utilize the point of the nose of the bow if needed (best example I can think of is catching the boat while coming in to the dock, whether you're standing there on the bow, or on the dock, you have one initial and closest contact point to concentrate on deflecting from the dock, where on the pickle fork if you're standing in it you're however many inches back, making you have to lean your leg out further or reach out, or from the dock you have multiple contact points to try and keep from hitting the dock.) I'll admit very minor points, I just generally don't like the pickle fork. Some do, and that's good for them. Does it give more room the way it is designed? It just doesn't seem to do anything other than look different. This boat is bigger (at least from what little they've posted) than the 197, so let's hope it navigates tight spaces better. I have been a MC loyal since I was a kid, and have continued to use 197's (best trick wake still IMO, which I bet they all but scrapped in the new Prostar) and defended them against the haters, but I'm giving up. MC can't just use marketing to tell me what I want and need, they obviously either don't understand their customer, or have a different target customer in mind.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
It appears that the front bow piece is removable. That will be pimp. Anymore pics?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
Yes, it is a convertible open/closed bow. it also has ski storage! (sarcasm there) They are unintelligently putting new pics up on facebook/twitter/instagram throughout the day.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
That is the worst looking thing I have seen.
Such a stylish boat, but I was really hoping the pickle was a photoshopped joke.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-07-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
No, but you can use/utilize the point of the nose of the bow if needed (best example I can think of is catching the boat while coming in to the dock, whether you're standing there on the bow, or on the dock, you have one initial and closest contact point to concentrate on deflecting from the dock, where on the pickle fork if you're standing in it you're however many inches back, making you have to lean your leg out further or reach out, or from the dock you have multiple contact points to try and keep from hitting the dock.) I'll admit very minor points, I just generally don't like the pickle fork. Some do, and that's good for them. Does it give more room the way it is designed? It just doesn't seem to do anything other than look different. This boat is bigger (at least from what little they've posted) than the 197, so let's hope it navigates tight spaces better. I have been a MC loyal since I was a kid, and have continued to use 197's (best trick wake still IMO, which I bet they all but scrapped in the new Prostar) and defended them against the haters, but I'm giving up. MC can't just use marketing to tell me what I want and need, they obviously either don't understand their customer, or have a different target customer in mind.
I definitely understand a lot of your points, and I do realize that some people are not going to like the PF....... But I guess I don't understand the big rant about it. Its like somebody posting a pic like this-

And then somebody comes in and says "Well I really wanted a hot brunette, but her elbows are too pointy, I cant even believe that she wouldn't get that fixed. Her modeling agency is out of their mind. They must have no idea what guys like to look at. Do you realize how hard it would be to grab onto those tiny pointy elbows?!?! Screw this, I am going for a blonde.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2013, 11:13 AM Reply   
[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-07-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
Bimini looks nice but we love our 3 Nautique 200s and they havent been beat at this point yet so maybe it'll add a little more competition.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
I definitely understand a lot of your points, and I do realize that some people are not going to like the PF....... But I guess I don't understand the big rant about it. Its like somebody posting a pic like this-

And then somebody comes in and says "Well I really wanted a hot brunette, but her elbows are too pointy, I cant even believe that she wouldn't get that fixed. Her modeling agency is out of their mind. They must have no idea what guys like to look at. Do you realize how hard it would be to grab onto those tiny pointy elbows?!?! Screw this, I am going for a blonde.
Not seeing the correlation you're intending. Pointy elbows are desirable in your example, where the pickle fork is not desirable to me, and I see it, granted it is my opinion and will likely differ from others, as not adding any function or value of any kind, actually decreases functionality of the bow, as well as doesn't look good to me. Being disappointed, as well as watching MC run the best ski boat brand (imo) into the ground via surf boats and cruizers (wait till you see their next line of boats) = rant. In my industry and job as well as any industry incorporating value added selling, you identify and understand what the customer's values are, and prioritize. It seems as if either I am not the target customer, which I would think I am, or MC goes the opposite route and tries to create what the customer sees as value. This is proven to not be a successful route. Or, as we have seen others liking the pickle fork, it is a value to others. Does this not just seem like a 200 with a pickle fork? And that's a stupid question because the most important feature/thing/value is the wake, which they haven't show diddly squat of.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-07-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Where's the rest of the windshield, the back seat, and definitely give a +1 to the CC200 for the gunnels and ski lockers. Dig those colors though. That step pad on the gunnel looks like it would accomodate a 6 year old and that's it.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-07-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
There must be allot of MC haters here. If you are in the market for a great slalom boat, i believe you have 3 great boats to choose from (4 if you include carbon pro). Each offers something different as far as style/looks.

As far as the actual wake on the new PS? No consumer knows yet. It's 20 feet long, 96 inches wide and weighs 3300lbs.

Some very interesting things going on the running surface as well.

The one thing that through me is the PF, maybe designed to set it apart looks wise from everyone else? Who knows.

Hating a boat because of how it's rolled out is a bit crazy until you get behind one and see for your self it it's worth it.

Shred on!!!
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-07-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXekQVSl7bg

Introduction video.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
I guess I'm wrong, the pickle fork is seen as a function feature;

"Not only does the ProStar have the world’s best wakes for skiing, it has pushed the envelope on what a ski boat should be – it is the ultimate in sophistication through simplicity and purpose. Starting at the bow, the new ProStar has a design feature that will certainly turn heads – a pickle fork design that MasterCraft originated in its line 11 years ago. While it adds a sleek panache to the boat, its function cannot be ignored – providing a clear entry point into the boat."
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-07-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
Look at the base extending from the windshield back to Marcus's armpit. Looks like a base for a full windshield as an option?

They really need to do a walk-through on the boat to show all features. That ski locker looks pretty cool.
Attached Images

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
http://www.mastercraft.com/news/detail/499
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
I believe that windshield has been an option the past year or two, so hopefully the traditional is still an option for the new boat.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-07-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
Once you see it....
You can't un-see it.

Amirite?
Old     (jk13)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-07-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
If the Carbon Pro can have the narwhal horn or bottle nose dolphin front end, why can't the Prostar have MC's "signature" bow?

Boat looks good, ski lockers look good, convertible front has been discussed on other forums for a while--guys that have OB boats thinking of making something similar for the hardcore look when they don't need the seating. The front seats in the Prostar are also removable for more storage with the cover on. The windshield is clearly customizeable like all MCs. Lots of options for lots of folks.

Overall I can dig it.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-07-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
I love the analogy about the girl. It kind of makes sense actually. I actually like it.

You just come to expect certain people on WW to dis it solely because its a MC. Those same people hating on the PF probably think that the MBs PF looks good. Not everyone has the same taste.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-07-2013, 9:19 PM Reply   
Aaron, I completely agree with you on this. The last bunch of boats they have released have done nothing for me and as a "retired" skier this thing is completely disappointing. I'll take the lines of the RLXI/TXI over this any day. I'm just not a fan of the lines of these new MasterCrafts. I also don't get the removable bow cover. I remember having snap front covers and rarely using them. What is the point? I know there will be a pocket of hard core skiers that think this is cool, but to me it's a heavy piece of fiberglass that will get chipped sitting in a garage. About as useful as the backseat to most slalom skiers. Does it really hurt your performance to have seats in front that aren't covered? A closed bow doesn't make you hard core. I personally don't see how making the initial entry point a foot behind the front of the boat helps entry? Let's just hope the wake is better than the late 90s era 190s...
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Before I comment I'm not the mastercraft guy who thinks every boat sucks but mc, but when I saw this boat, as a wakeborder, it made me want to get out a ski or start footin again. Don't understand all the hatred to the mc just pushing limits and trying something totally different (which a lot of companies copy and change a few years down the road) I love it. Think they did an awesome job, and even my pops thought it was crazy lookin and liked it. Great job again mc!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Isnt that the point of Boat companys...TO LOOK DIFFERENT THAN EVERYONE ELSE OUT THERE
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-08-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
I'm no skier, but this picture is pretty damn impressive.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2013, 9:49 PM Reply   
Luke warm on the pickles but love the hard top bow cover, wake and brunette. Carry on.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-09-2013, 5:33 AM Reply   
I think the boat looks great, and I can certainly see the benefit of the removable bow cover. Personally, I would just leave the cover sitting in the garage. That being said, I have friends that are skiers that have no interest in having an open bow. To some degree, it's psychological. The other thing to keep in mind is that ski boats have little to no freeboard, and it's ridiculously easy to dunk the nose. With the closed bow, the water just goes off the side, whereas with an open bow, you end up with your interior and carpet wet.

As for the pickle, I think the lines follow the boat well, and it gives the boat an edgy look, but I'd personally prefer a traditional bow, as these things could look dated in the future. I know people here are bashing the pickle as it does not appear to be "functional." It looks to me that you would have to make the boat longer to get the same bow width with a traditional nose. My understanding is the boat is right at 20 feet ( I could be wrong). There are plenty of lakes out there with length limits, so keeping it at no longer than 20 feet may have been a consideration. Just a thought.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-09-2013, 5:49 AM Reply   
Wake looks good, below are the wakes of the TXI and SN 200 respectfully.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-09-2013, 6:22 AM Reply   
Wake looks comparable to the 200, maybe even a little better. Tough to tell on the nautique wake - different angle and someone is pulling the boat around in that picture
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-09-2013, 8:23 PM Reply   
MC must really have a slam dunk here nothing to complain about 'cept the pickle, which does look a little lame but I guess we can tell who the hardcore skiers are from the poseurs....

Poseurs complain about the looks, real skiers want to know about the wake.

You know who you are, and now we do too.

Klink!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-09-2013, 8:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Wake looks comparable to the 200, maybe even a little better. Tough to tell on the nautique wake - different angle and someone is pulling the boat around in that picture
It's better...
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-10-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
I think one thing people are forgetting about a pickle fork bow, is that based on the design, it essentially has pockets underneath. I.e. a bit more flotation before the nose dunks. And this goes right with the bow cover(convertible), if you dunk the nose, you don't have 40gal of water in your boat and soaked carpet. It's summer, 90 degree's and you don't care about it? Oh cool, well some skier's up here in the north start in April and end in November. Water temps are in the high 40's and air is in the 50's. I don't want ANY water in my boat at that time. Plus the bow cover keeps the boat stream line.

Funny thing is, I've never skied, and never want to. I just think from a practical stand point, the boat seems to have a good dose of function to go along with the style. It's also going to be MC quality which is industry topping. All this doesn't even mention the wake. 20ft, 3300lbs and... it basically doesn't exist. Watch the female skier in the video as she cuts, she borderline isn't soaking up anything. That is impressive. I applaud MC on the boat as a whole.