Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Okay I hate to do this but what are the riding differences between the two? I'm comtemplating going flex in the future and was wondering the direction to go. I understand humanoid and sine are hybrids but sling and co are more traditional flex types. Aren't they made in the same factory? So is it a pick who you think is cooler.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
I have never ridden flex, but my shop just started carrying Company and I am picking a Recruit 139 and Co. boots up tomorrow. I dont think it was a "whatever looks coolest" kind of thing for me. I don't really like the baby blue look of the 139 Recruit, but I think it will be a sick ride.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Slingshot has been nothing but great for me... and if you break anything you'll find their warranty dept. is second to none.
Old     (hpdixon6)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
justin, have you ridden the severance yet? I'm ridin the severance 138 right now, and i'm thinkin bout gettin a recruit....i'm just lookin for a comparison between the two
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
TS,

Sitzmark has some SS stuff for cheap right now.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Ya, I'm not going to buy a new board until my cable board I'm riding right now(limited PS3)is broken and I'm in NO hurry to do that because I'm broke!! I'm just asking for a future purchase.
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
AFAIK..... They are the same boards with different graphics and slight changes to shape. Buy which one is carried by your local board shop that will take care of you on warranty.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong and they are, in fact, produced in a different factory.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
^^^ pretty sure its the same factory

but besides that,

Company has a limited line of boards and boot as they are a new company. Slingshot has a few more options to choose from including the new recoil which is a bit more geared to cable riding and jibing (as well as wake riding too of course)

Company's continuous rocker board, recruit, has the option for three fins on each end, none of SS boards have three, all are 2 on each end

Company has a unique holographic design on the severence seires that is kinda kool. their recruit series has a very simple clean graphic for those that dig that. slingshot's board art is simple yet complex in the stripes and such and seems to really pop. the ss recoil has windows in the graphic to see the wood/foam core

Both companies have some realy good teams, Co. especially has a very historic and well-known crew having Randall and Necrasson and the others too.

Company has jackets and ropes and handles. ss does not

...uhh what else am i missing...

anyway, both are great i bet. but i have to agree that if you buy locally and not on line it might be better to get what is offered
------------------------------------------------

Also i think Humanoid is more like Slingshot and Co. than it is like sine. Humanoid has very subtle bottom features compared to Sine and LF's hybrid flex boards. Humanoid also uses the same "sandwich" construction as SS and Co., using a foam AND wood core. Humanoid also has some interesting fins that look very jib friendly. from a recent e-mail i had with them they should be releasing real soon

also there is Obrien's flex line which almost stands out on its own with the EVA cores and their warranty even after hitting sliders.

f.y.i. i have only ridden SS
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden the Severance yet, but I ordered a Super Limited (SOLD OUT) before I told them I wanted the Recruit. I will probably be on both boards before the seasons over. I also got the Co. Boots, has anybody ridden them yet? I tried them on and they were the most comfortable boots I have ever seen.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
The bindings are nice, but they seem to loosen up a lot while riding which isn't good...
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
My shop just got in the new LF Limited boots, and I was thinking about getting a pair of Limited Watsons. But they didn't fit as good as the Co. boots.

Nick, does the little "switch" release thing on the base of your boots loosen up after you flip it open once? The ones we were looking at in the shop was really loose and annoying
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
^ assuming the switch is the same on SS (looks like it) my has stayed tight for 2 years and counting.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
I don't get what you mean..
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
I think he is talking about the stance adjustment switch.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
That's what Im talking about. On the Co. boots at the store it flops around pretty bad, and its annoying.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2009, 3:57 PM Reply   
When I first switched it up it was loose, but then I strapped in and flexed around a little and they tighten up so it was fine. They move slightly but its not that much of a problem.

I think you might have misunderstood me though, I was talking about the strings used to tighten the binding getting loose while riding, not the binding itself.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       03-26-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
if its loose then the binding isnt all the ay in the slot. Play with the binding some then it will lock up
Old     (hpdixon6)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-26-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
I have the 09 watson CT's on my Company Limited board, and it looks and rides awesome....boots are sooooo comfortable
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
What are your thoughts on the board?
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
the company boards look like they have thicker ABS sidewalls. maybe I'm wrong through.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
SS reflex all the way!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-26-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
I went with the Company Severance 142 and SS D3 bindings and it looks dirty.
They're made in the same factory, but if you're looking at riding rails a lot look at the SS Reflex
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
Brett, ridden it yet?

Does it take a long time to mount the 4 hole boots to the board?
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Right now the SS Reflex is the board I'm thinking about but it would still be nice if someone who has ridden both could give us a little feedback. P.S. I hated the SS binding that they had last year, I hope they are different for this year. I don't like the separate liner and they didn't fit my feet that well.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
I heard the LF Hybrids where pretty flat on the bottom as well. That's what my local shop who is a big LF guy said anyway. Plus their flex boards don't have the grind base, not sure why aren't they slider boards?
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
Well like I said I have ridden the reflex since it came out a few months back and so far have made two other people switch to it. The board is perfect for the cable flexy on the ends to absorb landings and press and stiff in the middle if you want to know anything else let me know. I also use the 09 pb floyds which I'm in love with!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-27-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
the LF boards are pretty flat. Think about them as the press with bottom features. They have a few at performance out here in orlando.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
JD are you in Orlando again you lucky bastard. I'm sure your riding OWC alot. You coming back for fool's fest. Its going to snow this weekend so the water is going to be COLD!!!!!! Have you ridden the LF Hybrids? If so what do you think
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Hey Jon, are the 09 Floyds different from the 08's? I did not like the 08's, do they have the removeable liner as well. That wouldn't be bad at the lake but at the cable where you have to take your bindings off alot it seems like a huge pain in the ass. Plus I didn't think it was as comfortable. 08 though. As far as the Reflex, how does the stiff middle compare from a riding standpoint to the full flex of say the recoil or response. It would mostly be a cable board, well I've never ridden a flex board behind the boat, so it might pull double duty even though I just bought a new witness for behind the boat. I'm sure I will demo all three when I'm in the market, just wanted your opinion on it.
Old     (coyotesexual)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
the 09 PB's are drastically different than 08. The 09 PB is probably the best bindings i've ever ridden
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
i heard from a slinghsot rep that the floids were basically perfected this year ;)

The liners do come out still, i share the recomendation i have heard from others, to just keep the liners on your feet, that might make it better for getting in and out at the cable.

also the boots dry better with a removable liner. I think they added (more) velcroe to the liner inside so it stays with the shell better. i think removable is the way!
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-27-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Ya but then I'm walking on Mud,rocks,sand and grass in my $400 pair of liners. So I have to take the liner off too. Not sure thats for me. They had better be the best binding I've ever put on my feet for me to do that and so far the Shane's are still the ones to beat.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-28-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
i do like the look of the liners for the 09 PB's, haven't used them though. i haven't rode the hybrids but i have looked at the melissa board quite a bit....i don't think the ennen board is out yet though so i haven't seen it.

i am in orlando (not really by choice though) and I have rode OWC a few times since I've been here...i'll be back in town next week and plan to be at KCW next weekend.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-28-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Justin, about mounting it it was kinda a pain... One boot was simple but the other was a minor problem. We just need two people, one to push it down and the other to screw.

I was going to ride it tomorrow but the weather was poor, so I'll be trying it out next week. However the board is light as a feather! Looks amazing, and the boots are comfy!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
Here is a lengthy, possibly excessive (containing every idea i have ever had to customize them or otherwise make easier to use), video i made on the D2 boots a while back that i thought would be helpful to the public
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEqVdMyf-K8

some info in there would work for other boots too, and the Co. boots too IMO
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-28-2009, 10:02 PM Reply   
I just got back from going to get my Recruit and Co. Boots from Woly, its sick! But I was looking at the fins, and 4 of them have huge chips out of them. I am really impressed with all of the Co. stuff though.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       03-28-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
2 up ^^^^^ uhh...wow dude...got anything better to do?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-29-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
ill be getting a Co. setup soon, Ive ridden the Super Limited and loved it. I'd like to try the Recruit before I make my decision tho. This is purely for cable so not sure if either the Severance shape or the Recruit shape would be more suited. Ive heard the Recruit is faster and a bit stiffer so was thinking it might make a better cable board