Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have a 40th X-star that I want to add more bass to. I have a 500/1 JL amp and a pair of 12w3's. I have three options of box placement.

1. Under the observers cushion forward firing into the storage area.

2. In the observers storage area firing towards the starboard or drivers side.

3 In the observers storage area against the wall the amps are mounted to firing towards the port side.

Which is best and why?

Also how much of a difference would it make to use 2 JL six channel amps for the six interior speakers instead of the 1 factory six channel?

Upload
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
We have ours mounted under the observers seat and where you have one of yours in the picture. Works great. Most people are sitting in that area rather then the bow. We don't have ours boxed and it still hits hard.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-22-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
I would say #2 firing out against the hull.

Heres one other to think about:

In my star I had a custom box built that takes up the storage compartment of the where the stock sub is. Had the box built to fit 2 12's sounds amazing! and IMO takes up the least amount of usuable space in the boat.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
We have ours in front of the driver behind the wall at your feet (as you are driving) I belive that they fire sideways. Its two 12's run with a 1000 watt amp. I can tell you that it hits unreal hard. I'll take a few pics for you when we go out in the next few days.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-22-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm looking to do the same thing to our 40th. For weighting reasons left to right I really want to put a new sub in on the port side of the boat. I ride a lot with just my dad and I so any more weight on the port side would help.

I was think about putting a 12 w6 right in front of the heater hoses.
Old     (craigw3972)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
i put a 12"sub ported box at the front of each locker(shown without carpeted trim panels) The ports are fired up into the gunnels in the boat... works quite well. They provide the majority of the bass volume.

i also boxed in my little factory 10" JL, which provides the quicker bass response. That install was difficult to get the box sealed thru to the sub.

I didnt loose that much locker space with the rears, but if i were to do it agian i would use the JL low profile subs in ported boxes in the same position. i might gain an extra 2-3 inches back into the locker , but larger boxes usually mean more/better sound