Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-31-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have a 6'10" surf board. I've only ridden a 4'6" Hyperlite board once. How much differences is there going to be? Will I be able to let go of the rope and does any know where to get the sticky foam for the boards?
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-01-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
what kind of boat? Depends on what your surf wake looks like however i can tell you a 6-10 will most likely float you fairly easily depending on your weight and will enable you to let go of the rope. If you have a tri fin setup you will get more action if you just use one fin.

As far as sticky foam you can check out some surf shops online and look for longboard traction. Or you can just use wax...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-01-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Depending on the wake and your boat, the sweet spot may be too close to the boat for a board that long. You could be knocking on the swim platform.
Old    surfdad            02-01-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
6'10"?! That should be adequate for just about anyone, less than 350 pounds. You don't play NBA basketball in Miami do you? :-) Dennis and I made him a 6'2" that was about...shoot, just a shade over 2 inches thick and it was more length than he needed. Dennis at the time was around 250 lbs. The biggest problem with that length board is that the nose would grab in the flats on hard turns. We are in the process of making him one that is about 5'2" and 2+ inches thick.

By sticky foam are you referring to the EVA foam found on most commercially available wakesurfers? Larry Mann at Trick Boardz sells some:

www.trickboardz.com

Poor Boys sells traction pads and square sheets, I believe 9 x 12 (The site is miserable to navigate, get to the surf section and then check for traction pads)

www.poorboyusa.com

I also know that there is a "gator grip" or something LIKE that name which is EVA foam with the 3M adhesive backing. It's used for trailer fender grip.

I know that there is a large craft store supplier. McMaster-Carr Supply Co. They have a ton of EVA foam in various thickness with 3M adhesive backing. I can't seem to copy a link to the specific page, but do a search for EVA Foam on their site and you should be able to locate what you want online.

www.mcmaster.com

Hope that helps.
Old    surfdad            02-01-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Gator grip

http://www.wakejunky.com/

Not sure about the thickness of that stuff.
Old    Johnny Wadd            02-01-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I used Gator Grip on my Inland Surfer. It worked Killer. Got it from Wakejunky.com. The link that Jeff posted.
Board More/Work Less.
J$