Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-18-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much money a professional wakeboarder makes a year? i have been dying to know. lol
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-18-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
six figures, easy.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-18-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
...six figures... maybe a handfull at the top but that's about it.
Old    meyerb            02-18-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
I am not to sure about that figure. I know that many pro snowboarders do not make 6 figs, but they get to travel and party like rock stars. Their incomes are closer to $30-85K I believe.

Peeps like SWhite make a lot but the average guy not much.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-18-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
The top guys make a solid six figures. Very few have gotten rich off the sport. Some of the top earners have been Parks and Murray with his video game. Byerly also does damn fine, as has Danny Harf. There are legions of lesser pros that eek by and/or have their parents support them. It's not the best decision on a fiscal level unless you are top tier, but its a lifestyle and you gotta think the pros love their lives. I just hope they are smart and looking to the future. You gotta also remember that many live in Florida and its relatively cheap to live there (at least compared to CA, where I'm at).
Old    meyerb            02-18-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
big heavy, so true. it's about the lifestyle. Thinking about the future is key which is why many in action sports go off and start their own companies.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-18-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure a fair amount of them are invested in real estate & the financial markets. If they are smart they are, thats for sure. Even starting company is damn hard work that frequently pays off very little. I don't know of a wakeboarder started company that really turns a profit. I know in snowboarding Danny Kass started Grenade & they are making some $, obviously skating has some more examples but in wake I can't come up with anything (& please don't say GB).
Old    meyerb            02-18-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
I was going to use Danny as an example. Him and MAtt have killed it. Wakeboarding is such a small industry compared to wakeboarding so this might be the reason why companies are not started by wakeboarders. WAs Ronix started by wakeboard pro's?
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-18-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
Bryan It was started by the original owners of Hyperlite. The pro riders that they have are part owners in the company though.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-18-2007, 10:18 PM Reply   
Murray, Shapiro, and some others were smart to start their camps. They can do that type of thing until they are real old. Plus it is so sick to be able to go and learn from a pro. Guys you see in the mags and movies just killing it.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
one thing is they get sponsered for everything!! they dont have to buy boards, boats, clothes! thats where they probably make the most money, cause everythings already paid for
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-18-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
it could b rumor but i heard wher shapiro was w/ obrien he was makin like 420000 over 4 years....correct me if i am wrong plz...and in wakeboard mag it said he made 200000 in prize money one year so not bad me thinks...

(Message edited by shavis on February 18, 2007)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-19-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
Actually Shapiros contract was like 600k for five year contract. It was in Wakeboard mag in like 2000, or 1999. I will look to see exactly what it said.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-19-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
"Florida and its relatively cheap to live there"... I found some humor in that. Then again, I live in Destin Florida.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-19-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
It can be compared to a lot of other professional athletes. for everyone that is making or has made it, there are thousands that are not. IMO, you are much better off getting a good education during the process, and if it doesnt work out, you have something to fall back on.
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-19-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
very true byrd!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-19-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
It would be interesting to see what the "average pro wakeboarder" is making. If it is anywhere near 30K I think it is a pretty sweet deal. No education, lot of free swag and travel. Great lifestyle ect.

It is not going to last forever and you will need to get a "real" job at some point.... But if you have a good personality, you may end up doing something back end in the sport and making a little money.

But how many jobs are you going to find just out of HS earning 30K with those fringe benefits? Hell, even if they earn 10K but mom and dad will float them for a few years.... I would be like HELL YA!! It is no different than some of the kids that go off to college, parents support, and flunk out after a few years.

I envy the lifestyle at that age.... Watching the pros upclose backstage at the Utah Boat Show Wake Park Event, looks like fun. Snow in the day, boat show at night....good times. Appeared to be very nice people as well.

Anyway....food for thought.

Do these guys look like they are having some fun....even when having to take a picture with an in awe 10 year old!
Upload
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Well Paul after doing a little research I found that the average home in Northwest Florida costs about $199,000 & those there have a 128 COL index. Whereas in my stupid zipcode the average cost of a house is $542,000 & the COL index is 188. Florida may be cheaper than many places I'm sure.

I think riders like Sean O'Brien, have their crap together. Guy obviously has the skills to a be a top rider on tour and could probably make more money sponsor wise, instead he focused on school & getting his own project off the ground & is rather successful at that. I hope the other top guys have looked out for themselves.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-19-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
Sean O'brien rules!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-19-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Stephan.. Homes in Destin, and surrounding areas, have gone out of control for the last 6 years. Things have haulted since this time last year but that doesn't mean all sellers have become realistic as of yet! The humor I took out of your comment pertains more so to uneducated self-proclaimed REALTORS that won't get real on pricing.

Basically, I didn't mean to imply ignorance on your part. I do in fact agree with you.

As far as Sean O'brien goes, I will go out on a limb and say that he is a victim of his surroundings! As if extreamly supportive family wasn't enough, he surrounds himself with positive people, leaving no need to elaborate on his own character.

In conclusion... I just got a brand new Catalyst 2.0 for my birthday on Sunday, stoked!!! And since Sean and I share the same birthday, Happy Birthday.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
I'll claim ignorance in real estate.

Well, stop talking about it! Go ride that beezy.