Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-25-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
Looks like I'll be making another stereo upgrade, and get some HLCD's. Not certain what brand yet, but I heard some WetSounds the other day, and... WOW.

So, since these get so loud, and most other speakers probably won't keep up, and I might not want them to always be so loud. Anyone run these with a separate volume knob of some sort?
Old    mojo            04-25-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
Ya. A 420
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Can O Worms

What amp are you planning on pushing these with. Some amps come with a separate volume control for the amp aka Exiles harpoon. Make sure you get the right amp to push the speakers or you will be disappointed and yes there are other tower speakers out there that are loud. Hopefully this wont go into brand war good luck with your purchase.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-25-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
Correction Exile does not have a volume control, they have a control knob that changes the frequencies not the volume.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
HSE... automatic volume control. Pulls back the volume when you come off a set RPM. So nice.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-25-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Jordan,
An EQ, like Wetsounds, is the perfect accessory because it not only gives you the ability to have conveniently located independent zone controls but it allows you to equalize your tower system and in-boat system independently. Plus, you'll like that you can moderate the HLCDs from an equalizer standpoint for near field listening at rest or brighten them for long range wake projection.
Many will use the built-in preamp fader on the source unit if the HU is on the driver's side and if the HU menu allows instant access. Its rarely the case that both work out.
Many of the JL Audio amplifiers have a configurable input section and a port to accept a level control. This way you can select which specific channels the controller operates on multi-channel amplifiers.
A PAC LC-1 RCA line level controller is an option if your source unit is on the driver's side. If not, the Kicker and JL Audio line drivers have remote controllers that are not in the signal path and don't extend the signal path. Eliminates long to and from transverse RCA runs. The line drivers, like the EQ, have the advantage of increasing the line voltage which is often a sound quality bonus.
So you have lots of good options once you have determined your key components and where they will be located.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-25-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
I hope this doesn't start a war. I'll make my own decision on the speakers and amp.

Just didn't know if there was a separate control like wiring some like of potentiometer.
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-25-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Thanks David, I'll look into those.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
WS 420 is what you want/need.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
I stand corrected this from Exiles site

Throttle Box™ Control: An optional add-on remote controller that allows the Captain to actively shape the sound of the tower speakers depending on the real world listener position i.e. wake boarding (far out), wake surfing (close in) or cove (stationary). Whatever the case may be, Throttle Box TM tunes your tower speakers from full throttle (wide open) to Sound Quality (completely engaged). It's so unique; were even applying for a patent. The Throttle Box™ controller can be remotely mounted in a number of handy locations.

The pac is a nice cheap way to control your tower speakers if you cant afford the WS. I have a WS because I like EQing the in boat speakers.