Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-21-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I just got this from the San Diego County Water Authority. It looks like the heavy rains this winter are going to provide us with at least another half summer at San Vincente. Right now it's only open for water contact on Saturday, but from May through "mid-2008" it will be open Friday-Sunday for water contact...

San Vicente Reservoir is currently open on Saturdays and Sundays only. It is closed Thursdays and Fridays for construction of the San Vicente Pumping Facilities project, part of the San Diego County Water Authority's Emergency Storage Project.

Starting May 1, 2008, the reservoir will reopen on its normal summer schedule (Thursdays through Sundays). This will be the last summer season of recreation at San Vicente Reservoir before the full closure for the San Vicente Dam Raise project. See the reservoir closure schedule below for details.

Draw-down of the reservoir for the San Vicente Dam Raise project is scheduled to begin in mid-2008 and the reservoir will close to all recreation when the water no longer reaches the boat launch ramp. The reservoir will not be drained completely, but it does need to be lowered significantly before the dam raise construction can begin.

Construction of the San Vicente Dam Raise project is scheduled to start in early 2009 and will take about four years. The reservoir will reopen to recreation after construction sometime between 2014 and 2017, as soon as the water level reaches the new boat launch. The amount of time needed to refill the reservoir will depend on rainfall and water supply and demand.

For San Vicente Reservoir recreation information, please visit the San Diego City Lakes' website at www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/fishbulletin.shtml.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-21-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Saw that too, Dave. We'll be regulars as long as it lasts.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Do you know where I can get an awesome shred stick for a bro price?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-22-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I just got that e-mail too. Good news. Although we will have to see how long it takes to get the water level down. Good thing is the lake is pretty much full right now. We will really have to make the best of the beginning of summer and hit it up as many days as possible before it closes down (Man I love this town )

With that being said, sometime early in the season, we should plan a WW day on the lake. I know we can't do anything organized, but we could at least do something unofficial. I was just thinking of possibly getting there the night before for a place in line, get a good beach area, and maybe even do a tie-up somewhere like back by the waterfall area. As long as we are respectful of everyone, and are not goofing off, I am pretty sure it would be cool with the lake staff.

BTW - for those of you who have not been there in a while, the fisherman worked out a deal with the lake to pretty much have the whole back half of the lake to themselves. If you are going left around the large island in the middle, and are just about to enter the rear portion of the lake, there are bouys and a sign indicating the back half of the lake as "no water contact". Don't get me started. It would do no good to start bitching about it. Just letting those know who have not been there in a while. I have no idea if they will keep it that way during the summer. We will have to wait and see.

See everyone at the lake!!!!!!!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-22-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Can someone fill me in on the camping out at San V? Henry wants us to go out there and take the motorhome for the weekend. It would be nice to have a gathering of wakeworlders don't you think? Lets organize it!
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-22-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
No camping at San V, Robyn. But maybe you can con Buzz into letting you park in his yard.

And Buzz, throw your garden hose over the hill and keep that lake filled up!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-22-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Robyn,

We live 2 miles from the lake. Always welcome to park here overnite, BBQ, then hit the lake in the morning. We many times, we put our boats in line the nite before, hang out and party, watch movies, poker, etc, then as soon as they open the gate, wake up, get in the driver seat, and be the first on the lake. I am up for that just about anytime. Not sure if you have been to San V, but one hell of a hill up to the lake. Not sure about a motorhome pulling a boat up there, and lately parking is somewhat messed up. Not sure about leaving a motorhome there, but you can leave it here, and pull the boat up with a truck. I am sure we can work out something.

Dennis, just met the neighbors. We can let the dogs play in the lake for now. As far as the rest, we will see!
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-22-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Hey, we can use my truck to pull Robyn's boat up the hill. Heck, I'll even wear my CLWC shirt that day.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-23-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Az is AWESOME right now and I have to assume Ca is the same way. With the grand canyon clearing/flushing every lake and reservoir off the salt and verde rivers is full full full. So full that everything is full of debris from the banks and shores. Drift wood, bottles, styrofoam, dead bodies lol. I would like to see how the research went and the paperwork from the BLM and National parks services and how all this was handled because if this could happen every year and the lakes streams and reservoirs that fed the water supply to do this isn't greatly impacted it would be awesome to see this type of thing on a regular basis. In the back of my mind I sit here and thing who is being stingy up stream with the water unless someone had to run all their lakes and stuff dry to feed the supply of water. Anyone from Utah or Colorado know what happened?
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-23-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
Colorado is having an awesome winter snow pack ways. The majority of our lakes are in the best shape in years and spring runoff hasn't even started. It's actually so good that there may be a lot of flooding issues in the next six weeks. I believe Utah is in equally good shape but I haven't been watching them closely.
Old     (slink976)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Ahhh yes looks like I'll be at San V. this coming Saturday! Been going the El Cap route lately but looks like San V is the play from here on out. Any body know what the actual temp of the lake is

I.E
board shorts
spring suite
full suite
dry suite

Slink
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
You guys are awesome, lets chat about it at Del Mar. If you talk to Henry before seeing me, talk to him. Thanks so much!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
Slink,

I am a wuss when it comes to cold, and I started yesterday in a l/s top. Endud up just in boardshorts the rest of the day. Getting a lot nicer by the day. No need for a wetsuit of any type.

(Message edited by buzz grande on March 24, 2008)
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-24-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
I'll second that. I'm even more of a cold-wimp than Buzz but just ask him what I started out in yesterday.

Happy to say that I was trunking it at noon though.

San V and El Cap water temps posted here:
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/fish.shtml
I think what they post is a little lower than reality. (Maybe they measure deeper in the water, which is important for fishing I suppose.) Our boat thermometers always read a couple degrees higher. Buzz's showed 63-66 at El Cap yesterday, depending on where we were.
Old     (slink976)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-26-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
lol, I guess i am even a bigger wimp, last time out ( a couple weekends ago :-( ) me and regular crew were in drysuite my 7 year old daughter was trunkin! I thought it was just cuz she didn't have the dingely danglies

Slink