Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
I am new to the world of wakesurfing and am completely hooked as most people get. I weigh 200 lbs and I bought a hyperlite broadcast 4'9" basically cuz I didn't know what I am doing. I only have a stock center ballast. I tried it out last weekend and was able to let go of the rope only for a few seconds. I know I need a lot more weight but I cant find any info out on how to weigh the concourse. I called centurion and they referred me to this website. I have read just about every thread here which has been very helpful. So any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-05-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
is your boat a Vdrive of DD?

my boat is a DD and here is my setup
540# sac in the rear
350# sac in the bow about 3/4 full
350# sac on the surf side and about 3-4 people on the surf side
9.5-10.5mph

i can ride without the extra boat on the side but it's a bit harder and the wave is noticeably smaller
Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
My boat is whatever the enzo is which I believe is a V-drive.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-06-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
If you look at any specific boat, you will typically see several opinions about how to weight the boat. As recommended at our site:
www.HowToWakeSurf.com
you can purchase 35 gallon plastic garbage cans to temporarily test ballast placement. These weigh about 250 pounds each and can be returned for a refund when you are through with them.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-06-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
Marc,

I'm about 220 lbs and have just started surfing on a broadcast 5.6. Given your size I think that you probably should have chosen the 5.6 over the 4.9.

I’ve got an 04 Centurion Lightning, a bit smaller than your Typhoon. The Lightning dry weight is 2900 lbs, it’s 21’6” long and has a 96” beam. We’ve have been having some pretty good results without adding additional ballast. Here’s my set up:

Regular footers on port wake
Center ballast full
Port ballast full
Starboard ballast empty
One passenger on port side
Driver (lighter than the passenger) on starboard
Speed 8.5 mph

Goofy footers on starboard wake
Center ballast full
Port ballast empty
Starboard ballast full
One passenger on starboard side
Driver on starboard
Speed 7.5 mph

The wake is definitely better for Regular footers. If I added more weight I think that I could/should increase the speed and size of the wake, but this configuration works pretty well.

Good luck

Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-07-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thanks. I went out yesterday and added 250 pounds to the port side ( i am regular stanced) and had 4 passengers on board which I placed at various places on the boat and I was able to let go of the rope for about a minute. I see what all the hype is about now. That was awesome. But the only place I could get in the sweet spot was about 2-3 feet behind the boat. Is this normal and if so how can I get the sweet spot back a bit. Thanks again for any help
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-07-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
Marc, give it a few more tries. I think with practice you'll find that the pocket is bigger than you think. You'll need to also learn how to "pump", allowing you to catch back up to the pocket (I need to work on this too). Often I leave the rope lay in the water next to my feet. If I fall behind all I have to do is bend down to pick up the rope.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-08-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
Do not leave the rope in the water. You will eventually fall into the rope and hopefully only get rope burn, or worse, entangled. Just hold the correct length rope loosely in your hand. It is there when you need it while practicing and easy to toss as you are falling.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-08-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
Larry, I've got a wake surf specific rope, with big fat knotted heavy braiding and a tiny handle. I don't think getting caught up in the rope will be an issue. I wouldn't do the same with a ski rope.