Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-28-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
So over time I've gotten lazy, and way out of shape, gained a just a little weight, but endurance and strength are down... It's just to easy to sit down and be lazy...

I want to change all that, for the new year I would like to start getting back into shape, and more active... My only hurdle seems to just go out and do it... Seems the more out of shape you are, the harder it is to do something like this because you get tired easier... until you get your endurance and strength back...

Never really been a runner, but I think I might try jogging down the street increasing the distance every time... I used to ride bikes (road and mountain) and might try to dust off the bikes and ride them again... Add some sort of weight routine to the mix as well...

My wife and I are expecting in April, so I at least want to improve my strength and health before then, hopefully making it a habit so I'll want to do it naturally... I lost ~5 pounds just from walking around europe for 9 days earlier in the summer, so i know if I do more I can make a difference...

Is anyone in the same boat? I don't think I really need advice (although I'll take it), but mainly encouragement... Just letting others know my goals and plans...

I'm starting at about 6' 209 lbs and Illl see where I go from here...
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-28-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Wakeboard more, tailgate less. That said, try really sticking to a diet. Fries are the devil, fresh veggies are easy to boil up in a pot with some pasta and make some meals in bulk so you're not tempted to grab fast food. Beyond that, try to be active for at least an hour a day (if your home life is hectic, do it over your lunch break). As far as specific exercise routines, I'm sure people will suggest various approaches but I say try them all...it keeps you from getting bored and keeps your body guessing.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-28-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
I'm with you. I'm 6'1 and 187 (not a good 187). I was pushing 200 until I started keeping track of my calorie intake. I have P90X ready to go. Not sure when I'm going to start.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-28-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
tailgate,

i get lazy from time to time but you need to try different exercises that you enjoy. for example,
my fiance loves jogging and if i were to be forced to do that i would never want to work out.

maybe try swimming, i love it and it is such a great workout.

if i can give you two pieces of advice it would be to find a way to exercise you like, and keep to a regiment. if you take a few days break you wont go back for a while.

so find 15 minutes to start, get your blood pumping and all the endorphines, and i promise you you will feel great when your done. accomplished.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-28-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'm right there w/you man.
it's too hard to pass up the tin of fudge this time of year. it's my downfall.

Got the wife a treadmill for christmas (her idea) and i'm struggling to find my motivation. I ran on it at a good clip for about 20 mins the other day and was embarrassed by how winded i was.

I used to get pretty motivated by watching MMA. the intensity it takes to compete in that sport is contageous. maybe i'll spend some time re-acquainting myself w/that sport. actually, once i got my wind back i think it'd be cool to do some MMA training. there are a few gyms popping up near me... hmmmm.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
I am in the same boat with the same plan! My goal (starting next week;) is to get up an hour earlier and workout before work, 3 days a week, and as Andy said, tailgate less.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-28-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
So you're 30,and your just feelin lazy?

wow,jus wow.

Last week I took my first ever kettlebell class.I was a little nervous at first,(I haven't done anything since last January/February really)got sick in Feb,and injured in April that lasted til Julyish.

I'm an easy 20-25 lbs overweight at 5'9" @ 230lbs.

My goal was to make it through the class,which I did,and went running afterward.

Really need to boost the cardio bigtime for the surf sessions.

If I can keep it up for a few months,I will come out of retirement,and back into MMA/BJJ.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-28-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I dont know about your circumstances but I know that for me the easier it is to actually do a workout routine the better the chances of me to actually do it. For example, I just moved and the closest gym is 15-20 minutes away. Knowing this I become quickly discouraged since I am already facing adversity, the drive over there, traffic, the time it takes etc. Instead I substituted a different work out that doesn't necessarily need a gym. Before I was the gym rat that would take one hour work outs and just lift heavy weights. Now I do quicker much more accelerated workouts that are 30 minutes or less but are 5 times as hard. An example would be run one mile, do 10 10 rep air squats, 10 10 rep pushups, 10 10 rep burpees and then run another mile without trying to take a break. I can do this at my house or afterwork. Of course I would add variations to this with weights too. Also don't be afraid to step out of your work out routine. I never thought I would do it but I have actually started doing power yoga and it is certainly a hard work out. Those two types of work out routines were just some examples of changing your workout type and making sure you muscle and stamina doesnt get used to the same old thing.

Lastly the best way to get motivated is to have a buddy or join some type of group/work exercise. At my work we have a "fitness challenge" where our HR & director of IT are both Yoga and MMA teachers (both teach classes outside of work). They both put on exercise groups right after work and would also meet once a week about healthy eating. Having a group of people or a friend do it with you will help you on those days where you want to skip out. I am looking forward to it as we start ours again in January.

(Message edited by pierce_bronkite on December 28, 2009)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Do I even want to ask what "BJJ" is?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-28-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-28-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
crossfit has been great so far! Highly recommended.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
On the subject, I am buying a weight station. I know the general rule is free weights are best, but I will be working out alone in my basement, so I was thinking about maybe getting a Bowflex. Has anyone used one? Are they worth a crap?
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-28-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. Started out at 225 and started riding my bike to work in late April, this lasted until mid July. I then started running, never was a runner, but have started going 4-5 days a week since September and it feels great. My typical run is just under 4 miles and I push it to 5 sometimes when I'm feeling good. Throw in some pushups and light weights with dumbells when your done and you'll start feeling better soon. It was hard to get going for the first couple of weeks, but once you get some endurance built up it really is enjoyable.

The other thing that has helped is watching what I eat better. I wouldn't call it dieting or even calorie counting much, I just make sure I don't eat when I'm sitting at home and bored. If I do eat then, it's fruit or nuts', such as almonds. It has helped, down about 30lbs and hoping for another 20 by summer.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-28-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Brother in law has one,makes a great clothes hanger.

It is what you make it.

Get a kettlebell.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-28-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
Paul, look into a good smith machine and a good set of dubmbells. you can do almost any freeweight work you can do in a gym w/the safety of being able to "lock out" if you over do it. I used to have one in my garage and it was the longest stint i've had of working out at home. that thing was great and you're still pushing free weights (for the most part).
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-28-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tip Robert. I will look into that.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-28-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice and glad to know there are others out there as well...

I agree with Matt, part of the laziness was I would come home and get comfortable, eat dinner with intentions of working out after, but then not because I'm to tired...
I should go before work or after work before I get home...

Last time I went to the gym, I got a bug that lasted for about 3 months... now with my wife pregnant, I'm afraid Ill catch something and bring it home... <--- See, ill make and excuse for anything :-)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-28-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
With most Smith machines you aren't pushing free weights at all and you might as well be doing selector circuits. Sure, you can safely push up a lot of weight, but bolts and bars are doing work that would otherwise be performed by skeleton and muscle. Unless you're doing max-effort bench lifting you can safely lift without a spotter. A bar and some bumper plates will cost less than a smith or other machine and you can safely bail out on non-bench lifts.

Definitely take a look at Crossfit and get to know a little bit about the program and scaling. It's very easy to get started without a lot of equipment and is constantly varied so it never gets boring. The main page WOD's are crazy hard, but there are links to find the appropriate starting place for beginners.

As mentioned, P90 is also a good option but it's pretty intense. It's worked well for quite a few people here on WW, but the person who popularized is now training other programs and has said that in hindsight he wouldn't have people start there. If you're in reasonably good shape and you know you can take some impact, check it out.

And, find a buddy or a trainer. Someone to keep you motivated is a huge advantage.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-28-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
I agree with Matt, part of the laziness was I would come home and get comfortable, eat dinner with intentions of working out after, but then not because I'm to tired...
I should go before work or after work before I get home...

Committing the time in your schedule is huge...and make sure you give yourself enough time to focus on what your doing. A lot of people want to rush through their workouts and just get it done. Crash and I are a couple months into a program and we've lost a few guys, partly because we aren't in a rush. We get to our gym, hang out and talk through what we're going to do and kinda get in the zone. It's hard to get serious about fitness while squeezing it in between work and dinner. Decide that it's going to be a regular recreational activity for you and enjoy the time you spend on it.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-28-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
Got a buddy who has the same dilema and wishes to be in better shape. I told him to Get P90X and do it with modificatios.

Crunches every other day like usual, and fill in the opposite days with the daily routines, but only the first half of each.

15 to 30 minutes a day is easy to do, with maximum results for the time used.... It's over quickly, you can keep going as you get stronger, and it makes the next day easier cuz you know it wont be a long death march..

Just a thought...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-29-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
I'd stay away from the Smith Machine. Develop the coordination to control your weights yourself and you'll be better off.

Hook up with a trainer for a few sessions and learn what your imbalances are before you start killing yourself in a program. Everyone has imbalances. Everyone!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-29-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
I think the key to getting back into activity is finding something you really enjoy and do it strictly for the fun of it. Find something that is done casually in groups. If you have to play alone, you will quit.

Do you like basketball? I like basketball because there is always a gym around with a pickup game going on. When I get in a funk, I just focus on getting to that gym. Maybe I will play, and maybe I wont. If I can get myself to the gym, the game will take care of the rest. Many time I go in and just have what seems to be casual fun, but the next day Im really sore. Amazing how hard you work and dont realize it, when playing in even light-hearted games.

I still play in pro-am leagues. Right now Im playing once a week. 10 years ago I was a dominant player in the leagues, but now I'm average on my best day. I enjoy the intensity of the high level games, but in 2 months I will be 36 years old. Do I move to the old man over 30 league and dominate, or do I keep taking my licks from 20yr old college/NBA players? Over the past 8 years my vert went from 40" to about 27". I have a Supercat in my garage but just cant make myself use it without a partner. I feel like I have the physical ability to get it back, but having gone through it before I know the kind of daily hours it takes to get that kind of ability, and I just dont have the time to commit to it. Been very frustrated with it lately.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-29-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
Dude, do it over lunch. That's the only time I've found that I can be really consistent over the last several years. Evenings are tough with family stuff and a little one at home, and who wants to work out at 4:30am?!

Do you have a gym close to your office?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-29-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
tailgate - do an activity that you like and are interested in, that way it's easier to commit and you enjoy it so you continue with it.

psudy - i had a bowflex for many years and LOVED it. only got rid of it last year because i tried the gym experience - YUCK - and am now planning to buy another bowflex in jan.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-29-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
So what kinds of activities would you guys recommend? Not a big basketball kind of guy and when its cold out that rules out wakeboarding & swimming. I just cant for the life of me think of any fun indoor activities... (I hate the cold... except for snowboarding, but thats 12 hours away)

I guess i could join a tennis/racquetball club with indoor courts but that crap is expensive....
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-29-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
This is my first time to be jogging regularly when it's cold out. We got a treadmill this summer and I love it. Now I run a few miles while I watch TV. I watched Retrospect this morning. I almost fell off the treadmill when I saw Chase Heavener's glasses! :-)
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-29-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
I agree completely with Jason, doing something with others is a huge motivation. If you do it alone, the motivation factor is much harder to keep in force.

I've been riding mountain bikes with the same group of friends every Wednesday evening for over 20 years. It's so much part of my routine that I can probably count on my hands and toes the amount of times I've missed in those years.

I do get out on my own and ride on the weekends occasionally, but without the regiment of a set date with friends it's easy to procrastinate and put it off.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-29-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
I love going to the gym and pumping iron. 10 movements by 2 sets of 15 alternating pushing and pulling muscles. Its a lot easier than cardio and good for boosting metabolic rate and aligning things in the body.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-29-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Hey man I'm with you! It's hard to get started. I just started lifting again and I'm thinking about joining Team Quest MMA gym here in Murrieta that dan Henderson runs. They say it's for all levels from beginers to full blown UFC fighters but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to hang / to out of shape. Like everyone said I need to do something with other people because if it's just me it won't last. Been there done that. Anyone here in Murrieta / Temecula CA? What do you guys do?
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-29-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
Jason too bad you arnt in california I would love to use that jumping machine. I have done P90X now for a couple years. I have modified it to fit my schedule. When I get off schedule it is hard to get back on. I get a little lazy. But when I am in the zone for a month or two I feel great.
So just get on a schedule make it through the first few weeks and you will be on your way.

I am in Hawaii right now on vacation and I still worked out today. Just a little cardio but it makes me feel better especially with all those dam mai tai's and lava flows i have been drinking.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-04-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Mike, it is an awesome device!! I used one in college and have had one at home for about 10 years. I tried lots of vert trainers in HS\college and this one really works. Most every NBA, NFL, NCAA teams have them. However, you need to go run a little to warm your legs up, then rotate sets with 2 or 3 others. Its one of those excercises that builds on momentum, and when you are by yourself standing in your garage between your own sets, all the momentum is lost. Its currently an outstanding wetsuit rack.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Nate - Ive been working with online personal trainers for a few years now. I'm bored and ready for something else - something radically different.
I have been looking into the Crossfit deal today. Looks like a pretty good program. How long have you been doing it and do you just follow the WODS? Is it actually realistic in a mainstreme (Golds / Ballys type)gym atmosphere? The first thing I see are "muscleups" - what kind of gym has rings...? How often can you actually match the WOD to the equipment in your gym without substituting?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-04-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I was wondering the same thing Ted. It seems like some of their workouts you wouldn't have access to the proper equipment. I am interested in jumping on bored with the scaled version. I have no need or desire to achieve the level of fitness required for the regular WOD's!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
I just dont want to spend each day breaking down an exersize because my gym doesnt have the right equipment - and I just aint into slamming weights on the floor - those guys have always looked like tools to me.
They say you can do a "muscleup" without rings, but its an odd combo. If that type of exersize is not the norm for the program - then no big deal and I will sign up right now - cuz the challenge looks great!
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-04-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
I've done crossfit off and on a few times, though this current run is with more intensity and commitment than ever before (mostly because we've got a few guys doing a good job keeping everyone motivated). We did about a month of WOD's and then did a little transition to Starting Strength for a couple months (if you study up on Crossfit you will eventually see many coaching videos from Mark Rippetoe, Starting Strength is Rippetoe's strength program. We are doing SS so we can get a lot of practive on the Oly' lifts and hit the WODs a little heaver and more intensly...a little less scaling).

I should also be clear that I'm fat and weak. My participation in this topic is as a 'same boat' like the original poster mentions. Don't want to make the impression I'm speaking as some kind of great example.

Crossfit is generally not considered to work well in mainstream gyms. I've read that some commercial gyms have set aside special areas or otherwise accomodate crossfitters. Oly lifting takes space, and a few of the lifts are best when you can drop which I guess most gyms don't allow. From the time I've spent in a couple chain gyms around here, it seemed possible but not ideal. I got some warehouse space and setup my own private space. We can drop weights, make noise, play the music we want...much more fun. I doubt you'll find rings without going to a gymnastics facility. We don't have rings yet, but eventually we will.

As far as equipment goes, there are a few things you need but CF is intended to have low equipment requirements. You've got to have a way to do pull-ups, and you need an olympic bar and some plates. With that, you can cover the majority of the movements or substitutes. Kettlebells factor in often, we just configure a dumbell that is heavy on one end and hold it by a small plate on the other end.

The CF site FAQ and demo videos will give you subs and pointers on every movement in the program.

Go to the Brand X site and check out the scaling...do a few WODs and see how it goes. Watch the videos and practice the movements to do them right. Brand X scale pages usually link back to vids or suggest good subs. And don't forget the warmup.

As for muscle ups, you can do those on a bar instead of rings. Again, there are vid's with the progression. There are a TON of WOD's between me and a muscle up...I'll be glad when I just do the 3 sets of 10 pull-ups in the warm up!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Nate. I think I will do the same - set up something outside of my gym to take on this program. The more I visit the site, the more I am interested to get started on it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-05-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
I started lifting yesterday and boy do I hurt today!!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
I'm with you Paul. 2 weeks off and it's like I've never worked out before! Chest hurts pretty bad.