Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Toogrady)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-26-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
Has anyone ridden the byerly hazard? It looks like it would be a good board? If so how did it ride? I'm new to wakesurfing, so I wanted a surf style, and this one looks like with the fin combos I could arrange them as I progressed. I'm 5'7" and 155lbs. Any thoughts, good or bad would be appreciated.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2013, 10:11 AM Reply   
I'm about your same size (5'8" 160) and I got to ride the 4'7" Byerly Hazard last year. I was really impressed with it in comparison to other wakeboard brand boards. I was able to do airs, surface 360s, and alley opps (the max of my surf style skills haha). It rode best with the two large fins in the front and the two smaller fins in the back.
It is a great entry level surf style wakesurf board. It definitely doesnt have the drive and speed of a Shred Stixx or Soulcraft, but for a widely available board it is alright.

If it had FCS or Future Fin boxes it could be a much better board. The fins are what is holding it back in my opinion.
Old     (Toogrady)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-26-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
Thanks Mitch. That's what I was looking for. Yeah, like I posted I'm a beginner wakesurfer so I'm even more limited on tricks. I know the custom boards are much better, but I'm looking for a good board at a good price that I can ride for a season or so to get started on. That is why I am looking at some close out boards that I can learn and semi advance on. How different do you think the 5'4" would be? There are really good deals on those now, but good deals arent always a good thing. Other than the fin style how did you like the set up and maneuverability of them? thanks for the help!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-26-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
In general at your height and weight a 5'4" is going to be more than a touch big. The main difference or potential hinderance will be as you progress and learn to turn and transition the board more, the extra length and volume will feel less reactive. At your height you are likely to have a fairly tight stance, and those extra inches up front will result in a less that ideal pivot point. However, if the price is hard to beat, then the price is hard to beat, but I would advise, and Mitch would probably also, going smaller for this style of board.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
Tom, Nick is spot on about the size. At our size, a 5'4" board is just massive behind a boat. You lose a lot of maneuverability.
I would not recommend the 5'4" at all for your size.

The fins are garbage compared to real surf fins. They are tiny and dont add much drive. But with the bigger ones in the front, and the smaller in the back it is pretty decent for what it is. The board doesnt work well as a twin, thruster, or single fin in my opinion. Just a quad.
Old     (Toogrady)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-26-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Good stuff thanks guys! That's what I was wondering about the size and you two confirmed it. I'll keep looking, and thanks again for the advice.