Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
awesome event at elsinore today. the turn-out was great, the boats were sick ('06 x-2, '05 x-star, x-2 and x-10) and the host was awesome! 2 boats goin' at the same time, "head-to-head" format....awesome!

it was great meeting new people, putting faces to names from wakeworld, and seeing old friends again.

since i was busy judging (the easiest judging i've ever done!), i only have a few pics. i'll post 'em later once i've got them resized.

thanks for a great event!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-06-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
It was a lot of fun!!! The wake behind the X-star was SSSSSSIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!! One of the biggest wakes I have ever seen!

It was nice to meet you Joe! How did you end up doin?We need to hook up some time and do some ridin!!

Do you know who took outlaw?

(Message edited by bigpapaf1f on November 06, 2005)
Old    walt            11-06-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
Who put on the event ?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
Joe, who took 1st, 2nd & 3rd in open/outlaw?
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-06-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
I know in the final it was: Bird, Carrol, Eddie Valdez, and Brodie.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-06-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
Today was fun as hell!! CCAW had a great time and USC put together a sweet day. I was skeptical at first as we mobbed it hard the night before but teverything came together for a great day. The X-Star wake was insane, I love that wake and on butter water it was a perfect tournament pull. Joe, you are still my hero, you officially drove my best tournament run of my life, thanks!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
i could be wrong, but i think tony carroll took 1st.

bg, it was cool to meet you man! i heard nothing but good things about you, and everything they said was true...and more! we'll definitely hook up! glad you made it home safely!

heavy, no prob on the driving. the pressure was on, pulling sick ass riders such as yourself, so i had to be at the top of my game!

as for my division, frew and i ended up in a head-to-head, that we ended up splitting!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
walt, university of southern cal wakeboard team put on the event. i judged and drove, but i still had a lot of fun. it was probably the most fun i have ever had judging an event!
Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
way sick event. liked how they had two boats goin at once. like everyone has been saying the x-star had the fattyest wake ive ever been behind and the driving was awesome. thanks for everyone who helped put the even on cuz u guys did a good job cant wait for it next year. oh and the 06 x2 had a decent wake but it was hard to tell how good it was after riding behind the x-star
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2005, 10:08 PM Reply   
tony "mr. incredible" carroll threw down!

dude, did you stick the big worm in your 2nd run? i didn't get to see your 2nd run...was busy judging on the other side.

i agree with you on the '06 x-2 wake. the verdict is not yet determined. i'm not sure how it was weighted, and not to say that it wasn't any good, but i had a tough time with it.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-06-2005, 10:18 PM Reply   
Oh man sounds like you guys had a killer out come. Wish I could of made it to see some old friends and meet new ones.
Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-06-2005, 10:20 PM Reply   
thanks joe, i did alright but no didnt have enought u no what to try the big worm again and the wake was smaller so it wouldnt have been half as easy as the first time but i was stoked cuz that was my first try ever at that trick and i did alright. yeah i really wish we would have rode the 06 x2 first to really figure out what it was like but to me it seemed like it was alot like the x-star but i think it had a little more lip to it but we all kno jesson had the star way weighted so untill i see a new x2 that weighted then im not gonna give the thumbs up or down yet
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-06-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
Joe, it was definitely a good time out there meeting new people (and judging with new people).
I must agree about the wakes on the boats- that star wake was ridiculously nice, and the 06 x2 could use a little help. But just like everyone has said- it's hard to make a judgement not knowing how much weight was actually in the x2.
Tony - you were sick man, always fun to watch you ride.
Brandon - SIIIICKKKK man! that shifty 3 was nutty dude, keep it up man.
Thanks to everyone who helped out with the event, it was a lot of fun.
Old    mile_high_rider            11-06-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
, I need to get out of Colorado, that sounds frikin awsome
Old    waterdog2            11-06-2005, 10:45 PM Reply   
picts
dog
shock jock
joe
groupe
Old    waterdog2            11-06-2005, 10:56 PM Reply   
more
ohyea
mirror
smiles
slider1
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-06-2005, 11:01 PM Reply   
here's a sneak of the shots i got. (i didn't get too many riding shots...was busy workin!)

our toys for the day

graham's doubleup off the x-2(i took this one from reeeeeeeeally far away, so forgive me for the bad quality)
Old    proklater            11-06-2005, 11:02 PM Reply   
Today and last night were pretty damn fun.... CCAW was reppin large. That green lake was delicious too. Who has bright green pee from free red bull?
Old    waterdog2            11-06-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
enough
slider2
slider3
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-06-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
Im glad everyone could make it out to the event. As it has been said above - the turn out was great, the mood was relaxed, and the riding was off the chain.

It was great spending all day on the lake meeting new people and promoting the growth of the sport. Thanks to all who helped out --

Especially -

JEFF FREW - the man behind the curtain
Joe Umali - keeping the riders in check
AntBug - the solo team out there snapping
pics for the good of man kind
Josh Lamar - southern cal. watersports and Josh
make a great addition to the wake
world.
Dusty - somebody shut that kid up..... but he
did a great job today
Team Valdez - As always, a stand up family that
has something to add to every
event
And last but not least - Kari - my girl - she ran the administrative portion of the day, pooling the riders together and making sure everything went as planned - lets just say, she was the real boss!!

It really warms my heart to know that I have such great freinds that will step up and pull through in a time of need. I cant express how much it meant to see all my boys, and ladies, come together as a team and hammer this thing out.. THANKS

And all of the sponsors who were gracious enough to help us out

All in all I had a great time... and cant wait for the bigger and better version next year. It seemed like everyone like the freeride format - allowing anyone to call for a double up at almost any point, and the head to head format worked out great.

Tony just straight threw down like he can - BIG WORM?? I was pulling you bro, i saw the trick in the mirror and almost pooped my pants!!!!

The wake in the star was STUPID big, and the riders were boosting to prove it.

Great day, great friends, and a great ending to the warm season!!!!!

Josh
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-07-2005, 12:29 AM Reply   
I dunno about everyone else but that X Star is sick, the brown is black is pretty original from what I've seen and looks nice. Anyone have any pics of the wake from the 06 X-2 or the Star.
~Tyler~
Old     (erica_b)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-07-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
So bummed I couldn't make it !! I'm glad the event rocked though. It sounds like it was great... next time for me.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-07-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
Josh-Thanks, It was a good time!! You put on a great event!!! Its crazy you almost pooped your pants and I did!! I had to ride right after Tony! How do you follow that!!!

Travis- Thanks bro! It was good to see you again. Let me know when you come back up north! We will do some ridin. How did you do in the final??

Tony-You Killed it!!! Nice run bro!!! It was nice talkin to you when we where waitin!

Joe- thanks man!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
Good times Fo Sho!

The event, riders, boats everything was SICK!

I took over 400 pics so I think I got a few good ones I'll post some soon.

The 06 X2 had stock ballast + 1500lbs of extra ballast.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-07-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
if i remember correctly, hopefully you got a few pics of "the real boss"

no offense to you josh

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-07-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
does Rave Sports make floating sliders like those, or did you guys buy one of their toys and make some "modifications"?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-07-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
Ahhh what a great day. Those pics are awesome. Ant you gotta put the one up where I posed for you, it's flattering. Ca-Caw!!!
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-07-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
I'm such a loser for not going, but when I got home from the SEMA show in Vegas, I had a six mile long honey-do list. :-(

Looks like a ton of fun, much props to you Josh. I'm truly sorry I wasn't there.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
Joe,
Damn you take awesome pics. What's that camera you got again?
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
Matt - no offense taken man -

but if you have to be bossed around by someone, she might as well be hot
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2005, 4:28 PM Reply   
thanks ronia. i have a nikon d70.
Old    misfitdusty            11-07-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
Josh is a dirty pirate hooker and dont mention me on this thing, please, nice pics joe and ant i want to check out the pics you got too.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
bug, post your pics man! i know you got some sic shots!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Im ready too Bug!!
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-07-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
Joe, sick pics!!! Nice to finally meet you.

Josh, props for putting on a good event. I has such a blast. Definitely worth the flight from Florida.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-07-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
Man, we really need to get Dave to send us all nametags that read "HI, MY WAKEWORLD NAME IS ........!"

November 6, and we're still trunking it, man!!!!

Jeff, I wish I had known it was you when you show me the pic you snapped of my alleged backroll.

BG, don't think that we formally met, but nice riding out there, man! Bug told me how hard you rip, and he was not kidding.

Joe, I am humbley honored to split the decision with you (even though I think you rode way better than me)!

Josh - an awesome job on an awesome event. If the goal was for everyone to have a good time, then you beat it. And Kari is definitely a keeper!

The best part was seeing all our friends out there (Josh L., Josh S., Joe, Frankie, Ant Bug, Tony, Brittany, Special Ed, Brown Trout, Big Heavy, Dusty (1st place, alright!!), Wade, Grahm, and everyone. Nice to see the MET gorls out there, too (even talked one of 'em into riding the comp).

Josh - Gotta get the S.C. cheer squad out there for the next one (know what I'm talkin' about?)!!!!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-07-2005, 7:24 PM Reply   
YES I DO JEFF!!!

Barret - glad that you and your ladies had a great time - have you had a chance to play with that waterproof ipod housing - its super fun - and great for surfing too.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-07-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
Josh, sorry that I couldn't make it, still recovering from the USC game the night before. No problem making the next one though. By the way, are you gonna make it this weekend? Should be a blast, hope that you do.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-07-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
ok here are a few...BTW great pics Joe!

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-07-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
sick pics bug!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-07-2005, 11:05 PM Reply   
great pics!!! Wish I could have been there. But I am landlocked until March. Next year for sure!!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-07-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
guess we shoulda came over instead of sitting on the couch watchin football
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-07-2005, 11:24 PM Reply   
Man! Now i'm kicking myself for missing out. Next time. Looks like everyone had a blast.

Joe - great pics. You are making me want a new camera though. Not good! The second pic of Frankie and the pooch is GREAT. That one could be framed.

Ant - Great pics also, but I know you have more!

BTW - Anyone know of the next comp in SoCal?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
buzz, you totally missed out; sick boats, sick riders, hot chicks! kick yourself a little harder please.

bug, i know you have more pics! quit holdin' out man!

for those that rode the tourney, do you guys think that other events (canyon lake, int, etc) should be in this format, freeride for 5 minutes? i honestly think it's the way to go. freeriding is just so much more fun. riders were trying tricks that they had never landed before, and throwing "conservative, robot-like" runs out the window!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-08-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
Thats what we were going for Joe --

Enabling the riders to fall 3-4-5 times allowed them to throw out all the stops and try and stomp that sick trick that they only land 50% of the time..

Im stoked all the riders enjoyed the format -

and guess what--- the next tourney is already in the works - a beginning of summer kickoff with a winch contest in between the two runs...siiiiick

Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-08-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
out of curiousity how many riders were you able to pull in one day, 5 minutes 2 rounds? Can you squeeze in all the pulls?
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-08-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Joe, I rode INT, and after riding this tourny, I definitely think that more tournament organizers should look into that format. It definitely gave riders a chance to try some harder stuff that they normally would not try in a 2 fall contest.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-08-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Hey jeff, I think I meet you at the INT champ. I was with Dave most of the time. Not ever one makes it to the Finals. Me and Dave are tryin to work out a new format for the Cen Cal INT for next season.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-08-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
Whats up Travis!! How did you do in the Finals?
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-08-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
Brandon- I ended up getting 1st, but Graham deserved every bit of it. Basically, it came down to him and me in the finals, and I took a regular run, while he decided to just hit D-ups. I don't know how everything exactly worked, but somehow I ended up in 1st.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       11-08-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
Congrats Travis!!!!! You have been killin it!! Your first run was sick!! I feel bad for the poor guys that have to go against you in the INT's next year!! Wait.... Thats me!!!!! DA** IT!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-08-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Graham's semi run was tight, even off the X-2. He stomped like three different fives and except for his brain fart on a ts 180 he killed it. I was really impressed but bummed cuz he went after me in my heat.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-08-2005, 3:48 PM Reply   
Hey bg- I'm liking the ideas from the CLWC and these types of events for INT........I'm not sure if 5 minutes is do-able but i'm all for 3 falls and adding d-ups.
Old     (scws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-08-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Travis,
You earned 1st place. We compared run to run in the finals and you had the tricks/style to win. This format obviously opens up the possibilities for strategy.

Either way, we enjoyed watching you and Graham ride in three heats and cranking it up a notch each time. You both are very talented...but what was great was that neither of you seemed too concerned about who took first...you both just went out and killed and left it at that.

Josh
Old    jamescoop            11-08-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
CCAW!!! CCAW!!!

James from CCAW

Soo much fun thanks all
Old     (rediro2h)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-08-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
It was a fun weekend, I'm glad we could be a part of it.

CCAW!!

that is all.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Ryan - thanks for grabbing those trash bags before you guys bounced - it made a huge difference in our clean up time - as it was, we were pulling boats out of the water and breaking stuff down well into the darkness..

Glad you guys could make it out.
Old    misfitdusty            11-09-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
hey so whe are you gonna post those other pics you got ant?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-09-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
i'll second jeff's question - how many riders were you able to get in with that format? seems like that would be the biggest obstacle when expanding that to bigger events...
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-09-2005, 6:00 PM Reply   
5 minute runs would be difficult with large numbers of riders especially at elsinore. the wind and rollers in the summer months would make it impossible to use the front area of the channel. all day glass is common in the winter but spring and summer is a whole different ball game.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
We ran over 50 riders in this format -

Christy - your dead on - during the summer months, using the front part of the channel would be more difficult. With that said, all day glass is not common at all durig the summer, even on the ski side. What I'm getting at is - a contest is not only about great water (although it is preferred) but I'm sure that all the riders could have a great time getting together with new people and watching all kinds of talent throw down. I think that more then half of a great contest is the mood and personality.

With that said, if only one side of the channel was used, and a tournament utilized a 2 boat rotation, 1 boat running, the other getting the second rider ready on the dock, then you can run through a substantial number of riders.

Surely only 5 minutes is not tooo long. It turned out to only by about between 3-5 falls - with a max of 3 - 4 passes in the channel.

A tournament ran with only one pull boat takes that much time, if not more per rider.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-09-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
josh, you know what we need to do. we were supposed to do it this year. we need to block off the whole section w/ tires or somethin to kill off the rollers from the main lake.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-10-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
Sick pics! Looks like a good time!