Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
So my crew and I have gotten more and more in wakesurfing over the past couple of years. I currently have a Yamaha AR230 (I know what some of you are going to say but it has been a great all-around boat for everything we do,) but now I am leaning towards getting a more specific wakesurfing boat. I am currently looking at a 2005 centurion avalanche priced at $26k and like the avalanche because I, unlike most of my crew, ride goofy and have seen these boats put off some sick waves. My reservations about this particular boat are the transom walk through and lack of seating this causes as well as not being able to use the custom avy sacks I would like to install.

Can someone chime in and let me know what they think of these boats with the walk through transoms (pros and cons) and if they have any experience with weighting the goofy side with the lack of seating/storage? Also not opposed to recommendations for other boats that could rival the Avy/C4 waves on the goofy side. (Looking to spend less than $30k.)

I also found a 2005 MB B 52 priced at 30k I was considering but have no idea what the dark side wave is like on this particular boat.

Thanks in advance for the help.....

Derek
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-02-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Goofy side tends to need more weight on the avalanche. The walkthrough versions would be harder to weight. You can sometimes find avalanche c4's in that in high 20's. I run a custom avalanche sac on both goofy and regular side. Both waves are amazing. Sanger V215 does a great job on both sides and so does the Tige 22v and TIge 24v. I know there are more but not that many below the 30k mark.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
The pros of the walk through is it will save your rear seats. I wish my Cent had a walkthrough to save the vinyl, but we have converted all the goofy surfers to reg so starboard capacity is less of an issue.

The older SANs (pre-06ish) have a good goofy wave.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-04-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
I have the Avy with walkthrough. My boat pulled surf events goofy. It does limit seating and if I had a do-over I would have gotten a C4 wraparound seating. BUT the price you are talking is cheap so beggars can't be choosers. saves on seat wear but you will probably get a cooler with pad on it for extra seating.

Starboard setup: stock under walkthrough, 750lb flyhigh on walkthrough, 1100 Jumbo FH behind driver, 250 in bow, 250lb center tank.

Port setup: custom sac under seats. sac on floor for comp-style wave

Duffy is right that goofy on the boat likes more weight in the rear corner. search goofy wave n centurioncrew and my setup with pics is on there. Hopefully someone will post pics of a B52 as that is a very nice boat too.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Here are a couple of my C4 pics. The wave is solid and the best goofy I have seen in person.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeYUiQ3FvRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfo2Jz6BLY

A couple of videos of the wave. We are riding about 11.5-12
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
its pretty hard to weigh the dark side with the walk thru transom,( mine has one) but it can be done. My avy also needs a little more weight on the dark side then regular. Can't really go wrong with an Avalanche. Great wave on both sides
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Ryan Fair seems to get a really good goofy wake on his Avalanche with a walk-thru
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
I bet you could fit 1400-1600 in pop bags or lead in there. I bet that would work. Less safe but it would work
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
I'm gonna try adding my Fat brick on the swimstep and see what that will do (dark side) along with the rest of my bags. I have thought of using lead in the locker also. Duffy what is the ratio of weight you set up? I have been doing 60% rear 30%mid 10% bow
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
240 on the swim deck (fat brick with 100lbs of lead shot in it), 1400-1500 in the locker, 250 center full, 250 in the bow on surf side. Plus I have 2-100 lb lead bars i move around.
Old     (peettee79)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-04-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
Holy flying tomatoes....sweet goof off.

I too run a sausage on the platform ( 120kg) just be prepared for the day it departs to davey jones loker.
Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-04-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the insight guys......Duffy that wave looks awesome.

I just found out the 05 avalanche I am looking at only has the center ballast tank....can anyone tell me how hard it is to plumb in additional sacks?

And can anyone tell me what is on the tower of this boat?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ition-97924801
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
it's not hard to add ballast. If you get the centurion go to centurioncrew.com for lots of centurion help
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-04-2011, 6:32 PM Reply   
And can anyone tell me what is on the tower of this boat?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ition-97924801

That boat is down the street from me. Those are actually tower speakers. I think somebody kinda had it as a show boat. I called the guy last week and he said he agree to terms at just over $30K and waiting to see if the guy got financing.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-04-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
obviously they are Rocket launchers to take out unwanted lake lice
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-05-2011, 9:24 PM Reply   
I don't remember the exact name, but that was the new style factory tower from Centurion. That particular is rock solid as was their upgraded tower. Centurions are rock solid performers and built to last. Can't go wrong