Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old    pdxWAKE.com            11-03-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Question came up on another thread and thought might be worth its own thread. What do you prefer and why?
I like the snap cover:
-Gives you a bow cover for cold days to block the wind
-Doesn't scuff your boat when towing from flapping on the gel coat like most tow covers

I do like the look of most towing covers better though. I like them both, but I guess I prefer the snap cover a little more.

You?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
I had a snap cover on my last two boats. After having so many problems with the snaps cracking the glass, scratching the windshield frame, getting caught on guy's board shorts, coming lose while towing, etc., I decided that I would not buy another boat with snaps on it. I've gone thru 2 seasons with your buddies' old Vride & love it. The Rankin cover is the best for towing. And the plexiglass piece for the bow walk thru gives us plenty of protection from the wind. The only thing I miss at all is a bow cover (for storing stuff under it). Maybe someday I'll put just the bow cover on. Or maybe I'll have a bow cover made similar to the hard cover on the Malibu Corvette.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on November 03, 2009)
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-03-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Same here Diggs. Love the bow cover for the winter days, works awesome. On the other hand, I hate the look of the snaps. Love the clean look that comes with the towing cover and the ones I've seen seem to install a lot faster. Also, no broken snaps or gelcoat cracks. Wish I could have the best of both worlds.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-03-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
I've always preferred towing covers, but have also always had a snap-on bow cover. Best of both worlds!

Towing covers do wear the gel if you tow far and often -- this past summer I used saran wrap around the rub rail and the gel looks as good as it did at the beginning of summer. Only takes 30 seconds to wrap the boat first...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-03-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
I agree with Bill Completely. My perfect setup would be a snap-on bow cover and a Rankin/Evolution towing cover. No cockpit snap on cover.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
I have the same setup as Cal. Works great. We pretty much always run the bow cover because it is not super hot here and we run the nose pretty dumped and it helps with not taking on water.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            11-03-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
All good points.
Anyone typically know the cost difference of ordering a boat with their standard towing cover or snap cover?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-03-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
It depends on what kind of cover is a factory option. A lot of the manufacturer's offer those cheaper sharkskin material or one that needs straps to the trailer. Those are only 350-600 probably. A dealer offering an option for a Rankin/evolution quality cover is probably going to be marking it up to 1200-1500. I think a snap bow cover is probably 300-400 and a cockpit cover is about 500. I could be completely wrong though.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-03-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
I disagree that snap covers are better for towing. In the long run the snap cover will stretch enough to eventually flap. I used to tow mine with the cover on no problems but eventually it loosened up enough that it will scratch the gel coat along the top of the gunwales.

Also, snap covers expose more gel coat to the sun so if you store your boat outside at all it will fade much faster.

I want the best of both worlds and plan on buying a full cover to better protect my boat (it's stored outside) but I do like the snap in bow cover during the winter.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Agree with air junky, for me, it's purely a cosmetic issue. I can see a bow cover being nice in the cold climates, but it doesn't get too cold here, and I hate seeing all those snaps all along the gunnel.
I don't even have cleats on my boat, and like it that way...
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-03-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
snap on covers have their moments. they are quite nice in the winter for the bow, but having to take them off, roll them up, then put them back on at the end of the day can get annoying. we are actually going to have a cover made from "tower biminis" that is lined on the inside with a soft material so it wont scuff the boat and can be towed with.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            11-03-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
David,
My old Supra had a bow snap cover and it had a rubber lining on it that protected the gel coat and did not let any road debri in. It was pretty cool. Not sure who made it
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-03-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
our snap cover doesn't hurt the gel coat at all. i meant normal covers that come down a ways with straps. most of the ones that you buy from like west marine or someplace like that tend to scuff if you tow with them. i wasnt clear on my last post. i worded that wrong. we are going to have one made that comes down about 8 inches past the rub rail, and have it velcro around the tower, and all that stuff. way more convenient on and off. and will be waterproof. believe it or not, we had our snap on sunbrella cover, a west marine "water proof" cover that came down about 3 inches past the rub rail. and we still had a bunch of water inside along with mildew on the seats last winter.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-03-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
I would think a rubber lining would scratch just as bad if not worse. David, the Rankin covers I have had use wool or some other thick soft material around the edges where the cover touches gelcoat. They also have hooks built in that hold the cover down under the rubrail. They fit super tight and there is no need for stupid poles or straps down to the trailer.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-03-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
yea brett, i worded what i meant wrong. read my second post right above yours. i re explained what i meant. that was my bad :-p

our sunbrella snap on cover is fine,. but our west marine cover that has straps that we just use to store the boat with. (as well as the snap on under it). has no lining on the back. and would scuff if we towed with it

and our snap on has poles btw. half the time they fall no matter how tight they are. huge pain. you hit a bump and you look back and watch it fall
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Snaps covers are problematic and unattractive, in my mind towing is the only way to go. I'd only do a 5 to 1 cinch in the towing they're simple and user friendly.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-03-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
Looks like the opinion on snap covers is similar to that of the zip or no zip hoodie debate...