Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    bocephus            08-07-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Hey All,
I'm an idiot. I used to do power turns until someone explained not too, so can someone tell me how to drive the double - up?

Thanks,
Bocephus!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
My best effort (I think this is right....??)

Upload
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-07-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
thats like the perfect drawing of an aalien but yeah thats pretty much how its done, but triple ups, those are scary
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-07-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
This is how I like to drive them.

Upload

This way I can drive back down the same path I came from and not have to get back in line after the D-Up
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-07-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
Not to hi-jack your thread, but...

Who crosses (the boats path/the wake path) at 90 degress when driving D-ups?

And, which would you say is the correct way?

-Blake
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-07-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
There is no correct way really, its what the rider wants. If you close them out more and drive at less than 90 its harder to hit but peakier. If you drive them more than 90 its easier to hit but less peaky.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-07-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
I always get props on my double ups but I was taught by some guys from Orlando so I cant take all the credit.First of all you need to know your riders stance.If he is left foot forward you turn to the right if he is right you turn to the left.Now here is how you turn the boat.Toms illustration is right on the money.Upnorth never seen that before?? alot of times people want to turn the boat as soon as they clear the rollers thats wrong.Wait to turn until your rider has landed then turn the boat.You always hit the double up from inside also and remember there will be four major rollers which equals three troughs.You want to cut into the 2nd or 3rd the 3rd being the biggest.}}
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
Wait so when you make the turn around you should be riding on the inside of the wake, not being 'whipped' around the outside? Right?
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-07-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
It's easier to set up for the D-up if you hit it inside out. It can be done from the outside, but it takes longer for the boat to set up and it's a little bit more difficult to get the timing in my opinion.

I usually stay behind the boat, and then when they start t come around the final corner and straighten out I cut inside the wake.

(Message edited by wakeprodigy on August 07, 2006)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-08-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
I am far from the professional on this but two tips I have learned from a few folks which I have found helpful:

1) Set your angle of approach to the double up as early as possible so the rider can plan their approach sooner.

2) Get the boat back to a stable speed as quickly as possible before hitting the Double up after completing the last turn. Waiting for Perfect Pass to kick back in often isn't fast enough.

If both those fail just visit your local Jiffy Lube and they will show you how....
Upload
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/wake/theDoubleUp.asp
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-08-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
After looking at the diagrams above, I think all those wallys that powerturn and drive crazy figure 8s out at my local lake arent just inexperienced drivers, they're trying in vain to throw double ups!

Here's my take on things. This is a rough sketch of how I think is the best way to drive them:

Upload

Turn 1: Make about a 90° turn to whichever side the rider asks for (this doesnt mean right for regular, and left for goofy, some people like TS d-ups) Make sure to maintain speed through the turns, as the boat naturally wants to slow down while turning.

Turn 2: Begin a sweeping turn back into your own wakes. This will be less than 180° because of the angle the wakes come off the boat. Unless the rider specifically has asked for open d-ups, go into your wake at a perfectly perpendicular angle (90°). (an open d'up will be approached with a less agressive angle, this makes the wake less steep, and easier to carry tricks into the flats) It's very important to accelerate through this turn as you do not want to be accelerating as the rider is hitting the d-up. It's best to be at your correct speed while the rider is throwing down, but backing off the throttle a little bit is much better than speeding up as the rider is in the air.

Turn 3: After the rider has landed make your final turn to go back down your boats original path. The rollers should be dissipated by then and you should enjoy fresh flat water.

Enjoy!

-Steve
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-08-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Steve, Just wondering if you were calling me a wally?
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-11-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
I usually don't do it like Tom has because the outside wake of a turn is small and the inside wake is large. I will either drive straight or with a slight arc towards the inside to increase the size of the double up. But too much of an arc can make very difficult for the rider to hit it. Kind of like this diagram.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Upload
Old    qbanboarder312            08-11-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
ok seriously if you have wakeboarding magazine like 6 issues ago there was a perfect diagram/description of a perfect double up.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-11-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
On all of these diagrams, the initial turn is made away from the shore, right?