Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       09-08-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
A crew of us went to Norris Lake to houseboat over Labor day weekend and saw (pictured) Malibu beached on our way in Monday.

Does anyone know the details of this? We are all hoping the owner/crew is OK..... Due to how far on shore he is, he must have been cruising.....
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
Looks like the underwater gear is gone or burried if that is soft ground.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-08-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
i see his anchor light on the back.... speculating that it happened at night? or they put it on knowing the boat would stay there over night?

does this lakes levels change daily?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-08-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
In the late summer/fall they lower the lake to prepare for all the snow/water runoff from the mountains if im not mistaken. Been there in summers and fall & its a drastic difference.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
The anchor light actually even looks to be on.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-08-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
any vultures around?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Yep they open up that big ole damn and let the water just flow out of that beast come the fall.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-08-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
Yep they open up that big ole damn and let the water just flow out of that beast come the fall.
If that is the case, I guess they are pretty much screwed til spring.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       09-09-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
They could have been lowering the level in anticipation of all of the rain we got Monday.

Anyway, that is a bummer for the owner/crew, I can't imagine seeing my boat like that.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
I now someone who was killed when the boat hit ground and they went out the front and the boat went over them. I always question if I should let my young son ride in the bow at speed with the thought that even unseen debris in the river could launch or bounce him out.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
My money is on they hit shore the night before. Hopefull noone was hurt. Some of the marinas there have live bands and throw down pretty hard on the weekends. It sure isn't the first one to run aground.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-12-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
i was at norris in mid August and water levels we real low. according to guys at the fuel dock much lower than normal. also read that they have received 25% less rain fall than normal and they do lower in fall anyways.

i have to say i love norris lake, people are super friendly and courteous. i want to move there.
Old     (nautiboy230)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-12-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
I know it happened sunday night we were down there it was pouring down rain we passed this point around 7 and it was not there. Our buddies ended up docking up to some random dock bc the rain made it hard to see on there way in the next morning they saw it. They do change the level of the lake toward the end up summer no info on the people on the boat. Hope they are ok !
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-13-2011, 12:28 AM Reply   
Seriously?!?!? I've read that last reply1/2 a dozen times now and still I'm not sure what you just said.

OMG I miis Grmr and spl chk...
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-13-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
I know it happened sunday night. We were down there. It was pouring down rain. We passed this point around 7 and it was not there. Our buddies ended up docking up to some random dock bc the rain made it hard to see. On their way in the next morning they saw it. They do change the level of the lake toward the end up summe. No info on the people on the boat. Hope they are ok !

I mean damn, pretty simple to read IMO. You must be a english teacher or something. lol. Seems like he was just trying to give some info like people have been asking.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-13-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Similar situation in my neck of the woods a few years back ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqNCyS8qto
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-13-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
That video was AWESOME.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-13-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
I bet that wasn't cheap.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-14-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
$2k is what it said in the comments to the video. That's a lot of cash, but I guess when you rent a helicopter to move your boat across a lake, it's to be expected.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-14-2011, 6:01 AM Reply   
That seemed quite easy actually. It was probably worth the 2k to just get it out of there quick and not tear anything else up.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-14-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'm not sure how else they could have moved it. I guess they could have tried winching it across the mud back to the water, but that probably would have torn something up. Crazy.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-14-2011, 7:05 AM Reply   
I have been involved in a few salvage operations on larger boats of around the 45' class where they were so hard aground that even a full moon high tide wouldn't be enough to get them off. in one case we had a 45' cruisers on an oyster shoal that looked like it was placed there. We jacked it side to side and pulled the rudders, props and shafts and struts. Patched up the holes with plywood and tapered plugs. We then laid down a bunch of 2X8 planks well greased perpendicular to the hull. As the tide came up we jacked her over on her side. At high tide we started to pull ( two large displacement work boats) and off she came. Towed her to the marina, hauled her out and put it all back together after repairing the props. Very little damage. i don't know the total bill but i was well paid. I worked two days according to tide. At low tide she was dry as a bone. You could walk around her without getting your feet wet. I pulled all the gear and tied all the knots and also directed the heave.