Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-23-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
You would be getting the approval for taking the boat out by yourself had you satisfied your boredom by detailing it for your parents instead of disobeying them.

For everyone that agrees that it's no big deal please leave the keys in your boats/cars so I can take em out for a spin while you're gone. I'll fill them up with gas when I'm done.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
i think kevin put that well. everyone's done stupid things in their lives. taking the boat out and doin what we all love to do, a little wakeboarding isn't that big of a deal. its not like him and his friends were out getting hammered out on the boat n crashed into the dock when they were bringing it back.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-23-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
Good point ryan. Remember that kid that crashed his dad's brand new boat at the delta before the dad got insurance. I believe alcohol was involved. Marshall did the minor crime and is doing his time big deal let it go.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-23-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Actually most of the people on here are bashing Eric for being one of the most ignorant fools I've heard in a long, long time. For some reason he seems to think peer pressure, drugs, alcohol and violence were not prevalent in the 20th century

I quote him:

"and no I don’t think the older generation has ANY CLUE, as to what goes on dealing with drugs, alcohol, violence and so many other peer pressures"

It's called growing up kid. Everyone thinks there generation had it worse. We had daily fights, lots of drugs, pregnancies, abortions, deaths, shootings, etc.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
I guess Eric never heard about the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's...

Oh thats right... They didnt have all those things then.
Old    deltahoosier            08-23-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
It was pointed out once on this thread. Yes his parents worked hard or didn't and they have a place on a lake. The boy took the boat and if anything happened at all, the lawyers will line up to take EVERYTHING from the parents just for an afternoon of fun. Not worth it especially when you get to do everything you want anyway most likely. The more money you have the less jack off stuff you can do without the threat of loosing it all. Just the way it is.

The young one learned another lesson. If you don't want people to comment, then don't put it on the internet. What if the parents saw that first comment about no remorse?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-23-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Eric, your grandpartents used to be coke junkies. Yea, they were drinking coca cola with cocaine in it.

I guess the drug and alcohol problem started in the 90s. All of the mafia organizations back in the 1900s were dealing illegal channel purses.

Eric, I am glad you are getting scholarships and not having to pay for school, because the education you are getting sucks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
anyone getting a "ferris bueller's day off" vibe from this situation?

Sorry, had to point that out.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-23-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
I took it how you meant it to be Marshal, no worries. I'm pleased to see you didn't lash back at anyone for all the flack your catching! My advice, just let this thread go!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-23-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
Oh yea .. obey the folks!!!

Congrats on getting close to your backroll!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-23-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
when you realized the hours you put in it... did you run it in reverse to undo it everyone should get that one
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Garret S said the movie already.... Hopefully he didn't kick the boat while in gear. :-)
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
haha, funny seeing you all get worked up on an online forum... whats next? you going to say your going to kick my asss...

Leo - ya ur right the education im gettin sucks.... o wait the college I attend was just rated "one of the best universities in the Midwest for academic quality by U.S. News & World Report". Im willing to bet your grades arnt even in the same ballpark as mine... But its ok you can cut my grass one day...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-23-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
Brett B- Nice Ferris Bueller move! I LOVE that Movie!
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
I have to say as a father and former hell raiser just a few things. I believe let the punishment fit the crime and it sounds like you got it. Go out without permission and no riding for a while. The only difference is that I probably would have given a good lecture about why. The good thing is that I believe this lecture was more than given on this thread. To all you parents out here.... you know that sometimes you did not understand why YOUR parents set certain rules and some of us obeyed everything said and some diddnt. The whole point is that now you have learned your lesson. IMHO the whole thing would have been avoided by simply having a discussion on the reasons why the boat should not be used. "Because I said so" is a phrase that will never ocme out of my mouth. Most young adults are pretty open to logic and a decent convo about liabilities and other concerns would probably go alot further than you think.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
Eric, worked up is not the case. The fact that Marshall did something that he should have never done still is the subject of this thread. If Marshall thought he was going to get some praise from everyone, he was deadly wrong. As I have said before. There a numerous parents on here.

As for your education, I don't think anyone really cares about what school you attend, what you are learning during your undergraduate work, or even your GPA for that matter. Until you can get out to the real world after college, then come and see me and I would be more than happy to talk about graduate level college and get some boarding done also.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Hey we agree on something... but dont call me out on a personal matter or say things about me when you dont know me... Want to say my education, thats fine just be prepared to get owned, only reason I posted that.

But its all good, you people go ahead boost your egos by posting and talking all big on an online forum.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-23-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
LOL....if you were to post this on wb.com I think the responses would be a lot different...
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Eric- I agree with ya on everything. People on here need to mellow out and if they can't they shouldn't make things personal. For F*&$s sake this is the internet!!! Talk some shiz to his face or leave the personal shiz alone.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
Eric,

Where did I say that your college was a piece of crap? You might want to reread the thread and note who said what and to include what you have said. Personally, I am glad that you are attending school to obtain a higher education and I hope that my children have the same chance that I have had and that you are currently receiving. However, you need to understand and read what you state before you "open your mouth."

Example:
You were the one the pointed out that "You sit there and talk about how when I was a kid, blah blah blah blah.. Gimme a damn break, you all wouldnt make it as a kid in todays society. Hate to break it to you but there are FAR worse things, that you adults prolly kno NOTHING about that goes on. And your bitching about takin a boat out on a weekened"

Response: I think you said it already in your last posting “…say things about me when you dont know me”. Fortunately, the same can be said true of you. :-)
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
yeah people do take this site too serious. half the people that talk shiz on these threads wouldn't say 3/4 of the stuff to peoples faces. it almost get to be like a comedy show.
Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
OK I know im butting in late and I don't feel like reading the whole thread, so I didn't. BUT, anyone bashing Marshall for this needs to back off a bit. Think of having a boat, butter, friends to rip it with all day, all within 30 seconds of your door. It's hard for adults or kids who have their own boat to feel for him but if you've ever been in the position where you have to stay off the water solely becuase someone said so, even if they have no valid reasoning (im assuming marshall has his boaters license or w/e since hes 16). I meen come on guys, parents make rules becuase it makes things easier for them, USUALLY. I know I'll get bashed because "parents make rules to keep their kids safe", but any kid knows sometimes parents rules don't make sense other than putting ease on them. So I say go for it Marshall, find those boat keys and hope they go out of town again soon, tear it up and land that f'in backroll.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
i just remembered this one little fact about the the parents leaving and the boat being there. if they left the keys with him at the house they were asking for him to take it. they should of taken the keys if they didn't want it to be used. if my parents didn't want me to use my boat they would have to take the starter out cuz i'd just hot wire that shiz. hahahahahhah
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-23-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
The above thread is spoken like a true 15 year old.

Greg, please remember your post when you have your 15 year old playing at home while ol' mom & dad are away!!

As far as Marshall goes, teenage years are lessons learned years, but as I said in the above post you gotta earn that trust.

Spoken like the old lady I am!
Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-23-2007, 9:56 PM Reply   
I'm not havin kids but thanks, after seeing how much shiz me and my friends put our parents through ill take a raincheck. Maybe next life. Don't bash me for this either, this is just me speaking like a true 16 year old.

Ryan, right on my man. if they key dont fit, hotwire that sht.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-24-2007, 5:27 AM Reply   
"o wait the college I attend was just rated "one of the best universities in the Midwest for academic quality by U.S. News & World Report". Im willing to bet your grades arnt even in the same ballpark as mine... But its ok you can cut my grass one day..."

"But its all good, you people go ahead boost your egos by posting and talking all big on an online forum."

Looks like Eric is already taking his own advice :-) You're a VERY long way away from that Phd. It's a little early to start talking like you already have it. I'm not saying you won't make it but most people who are planning to get a Phd at your age don't. Besides, isn't physical therapy an MD? I guess as long as there's research, there's room to give a philosophical dissertation. I've just never heard of a Phd in that field. Then again, my background is mathematics and computer science. Either way, best of luck to you. Grad school is tough.
Old     (cantthinkofausername)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
Wow!! Some of you guys just need to chill out!!!

Marshall, feel sorry for you, a month is a bit harsh (in my opinion guys, don't start b1tcH1ng about me please!), but I suppose that's karma for you! Anyway, it's good you had a great time!
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-24-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
I love how the 15 and 16 yr olds get on here and say "YEA good job Marshall, F your parents! but please no one flame me"
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-24-2007, 7:06 AM Reply   
eric said, "But its ok you can cut my grass one day..." eric, you are going to be cutting your parents grass all your life
your college sounds like a prissy liberal arts college that charges way too much money in the first place, and coddels all their students basically you pay for your degree
dante, i too was thinking that eric needs a degree in mathematics, definitely would fix his thought process, but it aint going to happen, i can already see him bragging about his liberal art degree at the pristine college
eric, stay away from the priests!
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-24-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
marshall i would have done the same thing. no worries bro. you rode good, didnt get hurt and had a good time.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
All the talk about education and cutting grass is hillarious. Ya know, there are a lot of people out there with degrees, masters etc that are working at starbucks. Listen to the news much? Do you keep up on the economy? Times are tough out there so don't assume you are getting out of school only to start collecting huge checks. You very well may be cutting grass in order to pay rent while you are waiting for a callback from one of the hundreds of resumes you sent out.
Old    deltahoosier            08-24-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
I will point it out for the 16 year old kids that are jumping in and not reading above. At 16 years old your parents are still legally liable for you. Someone gets hurt on the boat or by the boat even by a skilled 16 year old, the parents lose everything. End of story. You feel you are justified putting your parents in that situation then you are truely a selfish little turd.

BTW, there is no boat license.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
Rod, I would also add that they have no respect for their parents and their parents wishes.

To get respect, you have to give respect. As simple as that.
Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
There is alot of soapboxing going on here. He is 16 just like everyone here was once, you live and learn.
Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Oh so I'm assuming all of you who are flaming us kids on here gave your parents complete respect when you were kids? or did you just forget that you wernt an angel child either?
Old     (bakenwake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
your 16 your old enough to take the boat out i would have done the same thing if u really want to get good u will do whatever it takes
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-24-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Okay, I'm sure this has been said already, so I apologize for not reading the entire thread.

Your parents are pretty messed up in their forms of punishment. You were in the wrong and they should punish you, but take away TV priviledges or video game time or restrict curfew or something. My parents never punished me by forbidding me to do a good, harmless activity outdoors. By taking away the boat, they are basically supporting you spending more time on your ass on the couch.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-24-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Alex, you may be old enough to take "your" boat out, but not mom & dad's without permission. You say if you really want to get good you'll do whatever it takes..........including disrespecting you parents and losing thier trust. Go buy a boat
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Dante – Not really trying to boost my ego, my ego is already plenty high! Lol.. Most schools are a MD, there a some that offer the PHD, which for me is a 7 year program. Thanks for the luck, ill need it, im a farrrrrrrrrr way out.

Jo shmoe – ya good one… Sit there and say all ya want, if you think it affects my sleep at night, your mistaken. Find it funny how your sitting there bashing my school, when you’re a teacher yourself. What did you apply for a job at my college and get turned down???? Sorry bout your luck, maybe next time champ.

Greg Doctor – Ya all these adults where obviously perfect little children who never got in trouble ever. They probably never learned the word trouble till wayyy after college.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-24-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Jeff - Most parents can think of plenty of other things to do with a 16 yo's time besides wakeboarding, tv, or video games.

Come to think of it, my lawn needs mowing, and}....
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-24-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
I did some pretty crazy stuff when I was a kid. I got lucky and never seriously hurt myself or anyone else. I had several friends that weren't so fortunate. One is dead, two others served time for killing someone else. These were three different incidences. It was all in the name of fun and no one intended to hurt anyone. Accidents can and do happen, though. I look back and see how blessed I was to have made it to adulthood. I think the other guys here are just trying to be helpful in the only way they know how. When you young guys grow up, you'll understand. If you make it, that is. When you're young, you think you know everything. As you get older, you will realize how very little you really do.

Jman
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Jman, nicely stated. :-)
Old    sealyon.net            08-24-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Marshallkay the thing that got me was when you said (you felt little to no remorse for your poor decision) Hope you were just kidding We've all made mistakes. The main thing is You learned from it...Hopefully }
Old     (thedocta)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
He did learn from it, he learned a backroll...almost.
Old     (cantthinkofausername)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
By Greg Doctor (thedocta): He did learn from it, he learned a backroll...almost.

Lol!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
A Lot of you need to read the whole thread. It was stated by MarshallKay, (the person who took the boat for a spin) that

" 1. I was in the wrong

2. Rest assured my parents are punishing me too its full extend. I don't really feel like listing my full punishments.

3. Trust me when I say I forever learned my lesson and I'm not doing it again.

He has learned and his punishment goes beyond not being able to use the boat for a month
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
OKAY

Quit beating your dead camel toe

No one has any new points, and just want to pick at the other side. Marshal is becoming the mature one here
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-24-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
eric, no, don't want to take a pay cut
and how did you know i was the champ?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
Ya im pretty sure there offering more then 7.75 an hour... But then again I think you need a degree to qualify for those positions... As for the champ thing, im sure your a champ at something, possible crocheting or bingo??
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2007, 12:32 AM Reply   
Marshal, were your two friends 13 years old and named Joe and Eric?

Seriously though Joe and Eric, not only is your arguing juvenile but both of you have really lame comebacks. I've seen better cut-downs on LEGO forums.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-25-2007, 6:27 AM Reply   
Is there really lego forums???