Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-24-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
I tried to install a sub and amp in my boat last night and cannot get power to the amp. I know the amp and sub are good because they came out of my jeep and were working that morning.
The power wire runs from my primary battery, and the remote wire from the stereo... I am thinking I may have a problem with the ground. I don't have enough ground wire to run it back to the battery, so I used the tower mount...around one of it's bolts.

Will this give me enough ground? Where do you guys have your amps grounded?

Thanks in advance - going to ride after work and I would love to find a quick fix.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-24-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
I personally ground all my amps at the battery
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-24-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
You need to ground it directly to the battery, or a marine grounding strip. Grounds in boats are not like cars. Your tower probably isn't grounded to the battery, so your amp won't be
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-24-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Nate are you getting the power light on? The tower bolt is not an ideal ground. Buy a longer wire and ground to the battery.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-24-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Adam, the light is not turning on on the amp. No power whatsoever. Jeff, your right, the tower is not grounded to the batter. I don't know that I have ever noticed a marine grounding strip in my boat - any ideas of where to look?

I might go today and get a longer ground wire to run it to the battery. If I am not getting a ground, I will not get power, right?

thanks guys!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-24-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
yes no ground, no power light. Buy the wire and ground to the battery.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
the tower is not a ground -- however, i ran my antenna to my tower mount bolt -- much better reception out here in the sticks...
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-24-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I just ran to the store and bought enough wire to ground the amp to the battery. I won't be able to give it a shot until after work.

Hope the thread ends here. If it doenst, I will be on again tomorrow! LOL

Thanks a lot guys!

Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-24-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
I just installed my stereo last night. Wiring is a b#$ch. Battery is in the rear and stereo is on the oposite side. About 16 feet of wire ran through the engine compartment and around the gas tank. Not fun. Though as soon as I grounded to the battery it worked perfect. I also fused both hot leads
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       05-25-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Jay - your right - wiring can be a nightmare..

Jeff - you were right! I grounded the amp to the battery - and the sub began bumping

Thanks for your help!
Old    bigdtx            05-25-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
You can't ground to the tower as there is no conductive link back to the battery. You need to run the wire all the way back to the battery. Another idea would be to run a wire from the battery to a distro block near your amps & then ground them all to the block.