Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-08-2013, 6:29 PM Reply   
Draining water from my block and the drain plug broke on the bottom of the fuel pump/cooler per the schematic. Anyone ever removed this and any tips/ tricks?

Thanks
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-08-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Had it done by a mechanic. You can loosen some bolts, turn it enough to see it and dig the plug out.

I also broke another one in an easier location and all I did was insert a screwdriver and was able to back it out. I would get a stubby screwdriver and try that.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-09-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
Is it the plastic blue plug or a brass plug?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
On my Scorpion there is no fuel pump cooler. Do you have a picture?
All the water drains are blue plastic butterfly screws on the Mercruiser Scorpions.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-09-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
The drain is it's own piece that is mounted in a water hose.If you can get to the hose clamps you can loosen and turn it to gain better access to the plug and use a screwdriver as others have said.I've done it before with a phillips head,but I had enough access to tap the handle with a hammer to get a better bite in the blue plastic plug.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-09-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
This is a blue plastic plug. I was planning to remove the hoses but looks from the schematic like there may be some hard fuel lines in there too. So much for just an oil change in the spring!!

Art here's what I am talking about: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...ler/parts.html

although that schematic doesn't show the blue drain plug.....
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-09-2013, 9:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Scott. The blue plug that's left in the hole should be able to come out without damaging anything else. An easy-out drill bit should get it out, but you need to have it held well and a clear way to get the drill to it. When you put a plug back in it does not need to be too tight as the o-ring seals well.
Mine does not have a coulee like that. I assume it's on the raw water intake line to cool the pump and regulator so I would expect it to drain from the raw water intake or the impeller intake drain plug. Maybe you'll have no water in there and don't need to remove the plug. (Having not seen it I don't actually know so take that for what it's worth). Worst case would be you have to drive up and down some hills to slosh the water out while the plugs are out, or a shop vacuum on one end of the line.
Good luck.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2013, 7:58 AM Reply   
That schematic doesn't show it because it's not on the cooler it's on the water hose going to the cooler water inlet.It's in the hosse that goes from the transmission oil cooler to the fuel cooler.If I can find a black scorpion owners manual on the web I'll post a drawing of it.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 12-10-2013 at 8:03 AM.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
Sorry my mistake my owners manual says and shows it's in the hose from the fuel cooler to the thermostat housing.I remove and replace mine blind I can't see it or the hose at all.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-10-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
It's in hose # 3 in the exploded view.There's a piece of water hose about 5" long clamped to the cooler outlet then the drain fitting clamped in the 5" piece then the water hose clamped to the other end of the drain fitting and the other end goes to the thermostat housing.The drain fitting is not shown in the exploded view. http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp...ier-300-020-MC