Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ADahlin)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-14-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
Hey guys.
I'm building a winch right now. The only part I'm missing is the spool. I don't know what to use for the spool walls. Any ideas? Looking for cheaper ideas. Thank!
Old     (raceman121)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-14-2013, 8:23 PM Reply   
i got my spool from www.beachwinches.com its awesome but ive herd of people using grinder blades ceramic cut outs. a sprocket might work have to find a big one though
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-15-2013, 12:28 PM Reply   
We just built a winch from basically scratch. I work at a machine shop and have several metal working tools and materials at hand. On the next winch I build I will buy the spool. It's pretty difficult to build. Having said that I have seen several guys use large cut off disks for a grinder.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       04-15-2013, 6:40 PM Reply   
i've used large cut off disks before...the bolts that i used to make the spindles pulled right through almost injuring my buddy driving the winch. If you can get some diamond plate and have a machine shop cut out two circles to your desired diameter and drill out the holes for the spindles and drive axle. let me know if you have any other winch questions. post some pics when your done
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-15-2013, 7:57 PM Reply   
Two Saw Blades
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-16-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Not sure if I can help but here is a pic of my winch. I bought this form somebody and have been tweaking and getting it dialed in. Not sure where the spools came from but you might be able to use the pic and find something.
Attached Images

Old     (ADahlin)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-16-2013, 7:10 PM Reply   
That's sick! That spool alone costs like $150. I'm a budget. Haha. But ya I'm thinking about using about 12"-14" diameter grinder blades. Sounds like the cheapest way to go. Hopefully it turns out alright. As for the frame. What guage steel did you use? If anybody has built a spool before and it turned out pretty good let me know. I'm willing to pay to have one built for me.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-17-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
These guys are local for me and help me tinker and fix my winch when needed. They build custom winches and can get you a spool im pretty sure.

check out the site and maybe give em a text/call

http://villainwinches.webs.com
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-17-2013, 7:22 PM Reply   
You should be able to find somebody to cut the parts for you SUPER easy and for very cheap. Just call around, someone with a CNC plasma cutter could do it very easy and the metal would be cheap
Old     (onecrazyredhead)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-19-2013, 4:45 AM Reply   
Look at all those big dings in background u work at a sports shop?
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-20-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
^ yeah I manage a pro shop in Boise Idaho we have lots of gear!

Also, I just added a torque converter to the engine.. huge upgrade from the centrifugal clutch.

I highly recommend this for you build. Night and day difference. Just tried it out and its great!
Attached Images

Old     (ejoewright)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
Two suggestions better than cutoff wheels for the spool walls. 20'' Pizza Pans, e-bay less than $10 / piece or your local grocery store. OR...Medium or large sized oil drum lids...cost...free? I went with the pizza pans because I did not have two matching drum lids.

I am just now finishing converting my go-cart into a wakeboard winch. I moved the engine to the front, and used the back roll cage as the frame for the spool. I re-used the wheel sprocket, and sandwiched one drilled pizza pan between the sprocket and couplers, then to threaded rods, couplers again, pizza pan and finally another wheel hub. The spool assembly spins on the rear axle that is attached to the rear roll cage.

I actually did not have to destroy any part of the go-cart in the process, so it can be converted back, maybe this winter.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-07-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoewright View Post
I actually did not have to destroy any part of the go-cart in the process, so it can be converted back, maybe this winter.
Pics, please you can shot them to me in a pm if you prefer. Sorry for the thread jack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2