Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-14-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
Can you ride everyday? I would Like to ride everyday but I am thinking maybe after 6 days of riding, I might get tired and have to rest on the 7th day, I don't know, but I would sure like to find out! So, who can ride everyday? Maybe your a teacher like me and have the summers off, maybe you are retired, maybe you have your own business, maybe you just don't have to work to make money, or maybe your off for two weeks of work and just want to wakeboard! Life is too short not to try this, I can travel pretty much anywhere in the eastern half of the United States and will match you pull for pull with my VLX in northern Ohio, where the water is always flat!
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-14-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Joe, I'm pretty sure you can ride everyday. Maybe not 3 hard sets everyday, but you could definitely get quality riding in everyday. Come on to Nashville, and we'll try it out.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
If you go for it, make sure you are taking care of your body. Lots of good stretching and excellent nutrition. Plenty of bananas and spinach and likely some glucosamine to keep the joints feeling good. It definitely can be done, personally I get burnt out and enjoy doing other things as well. The progression potential is incredible, perhaps get a couple lessons too and you will really improve your skills.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-14-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
As a teenager there was a point during the summer that I was riding almost everyday. I do remember every now and then I would get burnt out and sore with arm pump but that was toward the end of summer after back to back houseboat and rv trips for 3-4 weeks straight. Damn I wish I was a kid again
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-14-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
I've gone riding 7 days in the last 8 ( the day that I missed was because I ran out of gas lol) If anything I'm in better shape because of it! If you're ever near chicago, hit me up!
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-14-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Actually last summer I had a thought of trying to ride everyday in the month of July. Just couldn't get anyone in on it. Anybody ever pull something like this off?
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-14-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeJp12 View Post
I've gone riding 7 days in the last 8 ( the day that I missed was because I ran out of gas lol) If anything I'm in better shape because of it! If you're ever near chicago, hit me up!
Where do you ride near chicago 7 days a week?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-14-2013, 12:44 PM Reply   
Ok Steve, I can drive down to Nashville arriving on the 21st of this month, what time can you ride on friday? Ride saturday, sunday, monday and then on tuesday leave early in the morning and ride tuesday night at my place, ride wed, thursday, and friday and then you take a bus, plane, or train back home, I can get you to any depot you want. Can you get off of work? Or if you can't take that many days off, if you can make it up here on thursday the 20th we could ride thursday night, friday, sat, and sunday morning and then go to nashville and ride mon, tues, wed, and thursday after your work. My riding spot is always flat even on the weekends and windy days. Give me a call 440/320-7581

"back to back houseboat and rv trips for 3-4 weeks straight"
I think that's next on the list!

Jordan, did you run out of gas or was it your boat?
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
Yes you definitely have to take care of your body for that. The sad thing is that the older you get, the more you really need to work on taking care of your body to be able to do that. However, it seems like the older you get, the less time you have to go wakeboarding, let alone to keep your body in the shape required to wakeboard well. I'm gonig through this right now. 55 hour work weeks. Its frustrating! However, I have seen 70 year olds in the gym doing deadlifts.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-14-2013, 8:39 PM Reply   
Well in my college years I would ride 3-4 times a week, and went on a few week long camping trips and rode everyday. But my work is pretty physical, so I only ride on Saturdays now to have a recoup day.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2013, 8:12 PM Reply   
about 1 because it rains every other day in central NY
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-16-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
yah, I got flat water when its windy and on weekends, but I will not ride in the rain! One day it was raining in northern Ohio so I took the boat down to Columbus and had a great day on the water!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-16-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Had a 22 day stretch last summer where I was either riding boat or system 2 every day. Lots of fun, but by about 2 weeks in I was pretty tired after only a set or two.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-17-2013, 9:33 PM Reply   
It's only the First day that hurts of the year ,i'll go for a 5 min run ,and a 5 min run at the end of the day to strech out .
I also have a handle tied to a 2 in. Eye hook about 30 in. from the ground, i strech my arms and back ,this Help keep me in shape when I to bizzy to ride.
Back in Da day Me and Doc. Grinder were Testing boards everyday all summer long up at ArrowHead,Best shape of my life
Take one of these Gym rats who lift all day and think there in good shape ,And take them out for a day ,Tell them to ride as long as thay can ,,,And See who can scrach there nose in 2 days ...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-18-2013, 4:25 AM Reply   
yah I hear you moose, all the lifting in the world aint going to help you with wakeboarding, the same thing goes for surfing! I just have to laugh at those guys, wakeboarding gives you strength AND stamina, nothing else like it, and you have fun doing it also! I am still wondering how many days in a row I could go(I should at least be able to go three)
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-19-2013, 12:56 AM Reply   
Once you get that first day in and I allways take a small 3 min run get back in the boat ,the first day, and take a small 5 min run at the end of the Day... if Im riding for week or more
After I ride I hook the my handle to the Ball of my Van and Streach so im not sore the next 4 days and try to streach my arms every 2 hour or so,so I can move .
So i sand bag the first day to ride all summer with out sore arms and legs.Just like the vidio of me riding ,That was the first day of summer Got a call ,,,HEY were going to be at Da Lagoon in 30 ,I was just 10 mins away ,i allways have my board with me so i was there before the boat...If you seen the vidio I was just taking it easy that day .You can see how trird I was getting
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-19-2013, 1:05 AM Reply   
Back in Da Day I was hanging ,with Doc. Gringer ,Kurt from Core,And his cusin who owned Wig Out Snowboards,who gave me a place to Prodo~type Boards for a Whole Summer We were Riding 5 days aweek ,Had a fully stock cabin in Arrowhead,,a Boat we Could use at anytime we wanted and a shop to make board just Down the hill.
And Now you know How it Started back in 89
Old     (Cardi)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-24-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
Hey Jo, I sent you a PM. I'm about 3 hours from you over here at Chautauqua Lake, NY and would love to get some riding in this summer.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       06-25-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
Back in my teen years I probably could've rode everyday. Even remember one summer where I helped out with a wakeboard camp for beginners and rode for almost 2 months straight. But now that I'm about to turn 30 it's tough, even for me. I work offshore, but have tons of free time. I work out twice a day, eat right, and have dropped almost 30 lbs since starting out here (almost back to my high school weight), and I still find it takes a pretty good toll on my body still. I'm off for 2 weeks at a time and on my last days off we did 8 days straight on the water. By day 6 I was feeling pretty beat, but I think a lot of it may have been sun fatigue. I think it is possible to ride for weeks (or even months) at a time straight, but honestly it just isn't worth it. Your body needs time to rest and recoup, otherwise you're going to find yourself getting injured more easily and frequently. I'd suggest ride for a few days, then take a day or two off to rest. You'll get more out of your runs and won't be fighting to overcome the physical fatigue when trying new tricks.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-25-2013, 8:46 PM Reply   
" I'd suggest ride for a few days, then take a day or two off to rest"
Yah, I think that is the best plan, but what do you do on the days off (besides the full body massages)???
Old     (southcoaststeve)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-26-2013, 6:00 AM Reply   
My Girlfriend had a go at this over the past week, worked out well for her, schedule was:
Monday - 30 minute set on lake with coach
Tuesday - system 2 and full cable session - at cable for 2 hours, probably 25 minutes riding
Wednesday - 30 minute set on lake with coach, 2 x 10 minute sets in harbour with me
Thursday - 30 minute set on lake with coach
Friday - 2 x 15 minute sets on lake with coach
Saturday - Day Off
Sunday - Full cable session - only did 2 pulls as too tired to hang on! (this was mainly due to a hangover from the day off )
Monday - 2 x 15 minute sets on lake with coach - followed by Sports massage

So 8 days, rode 7 of them, she has only been riding for 1 year and what amazed me was the progression she achieved in the last week, on the first Monday she was comfortably riding regular and switch and doing surface 180's, by Thursday she had cracked surface 360's and is pretty successfully landing frontside 180's out of the wake and easily doing frontside lipslides. Wake to wake is next..

She's back to work now and pestering me to get a session sorted for after work in the harbour, but I have to remind her I can't control the weather
Old     (BarryB)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-26-2013, 8:21 AM Reply   
I ride basically every day. 20 minutes to an hour depending on the day. If I recall the last week :

Tuesday : 2 hours at the cable park (20-30 minutes riding)
Wednesday : ERC cable, 30-40 minutes riding
Thursday : 3 hours at the cable park, probably 45 minutes riding plus cable comp
Friday -Tuesday : ERC cable, 2-4 sets a day, 10-15 minutes per
Today : nautique G23 then some time at the cable park

I'm 42. I have to carefully protect myself from injury and treat promptly if I do get injured to keep it up.

For example, a couple of days ago I tore my left pectoral trying to hang on to a sketchy HS 5 (I shoulda known better). I've found that raleys exacerbate it, so no raleys for the last 3 days.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-26-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
Right now I can ride 4-5 days in a row for a couple good sets (boat only) but then take a full 2 days off generally. If I'm not riding I go to the gym and lift hard enough to be sore. So 5 days a week riding or gym'n
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-26-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
about 1 because it rains every other day in central NY
Granted it's more gym then riding like he said. Syracuse has rained 5 days straight and we have 5 more to go...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2013, 4:44 PM Reply   
Ok, Lots of great information here, for all of you that do ride everyday or have ridden evryday all summer, does your body ever get use to it? I can see your body getting sore after several days, but won't the body eventually get used to it?
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       07-06-2013, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Ok, Lots of great information here, for all of you that do ride everyday or have ridden evryday all summer, does your body ever get use to it? I can see your body getting sore after several days, but won't the body eventually get used to it?
Honestly, yes and no. If you ride every single day your body with get used to it and you won't be sore at the end of the day. The problem I always had when I was riding everyday was right about the time the soreness went away was about the same time I would get the guts to try some crazy trick that was usually way beyond my skill level or too big for the boat I was riding. I'd spend all day (or a couple days) trying to land it and would be pretty beat up from eating it so hard. I think that as long as you're not trying anything crazy and staying in your comfort zone/skill capability, you'll get used to it and the soreness with go away. But not very many of us are happy with just being good at what we already know how to do, but are always wanting to learn the next trick and push our own limits, which will result in lots of pain and soreness the next day. You know what they say: "You gotta pay to play"
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2013, 11:45 PM Reply   
I've gone close to a month. And the streak was broken not for injury or to hurtin to ride. Granted there was a lot of Ibuprofen going down in that streak. But I think I'm more proud of the 5 moth streak of no underwear under the board shorts streak. Even at a wedding.