Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-24-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
so i was thinking back in the day when i first ever started riding..just curious as to what age most of us started our first ride?

first boat i rode behind was my unc's 1991 sea ray 180 i/o w/ the old school strap sandle surf style board (cant remember the name for the life of me) i was 16 when i first strapped on a board..and since nebraska has the best wakeboard season in the country..the whole 4 months of it..ive been riding for alittle over a year and a half (to get technical with it)..

so how long have you guys been riding..and since what age? any pics? post up!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-24-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
I started 7 years ago when I was 32. It was behind an 89 Bayliner with no tower, no nothing. I got up on my 7th try and was pretty much hooked ever since. Later that day I also when to tubing for the first time. I got thrown off during a turn and cracked 2 ribs. I decided then that wakeboarding was better

It was probably not until 4 years later that I started trying to get serious about getting better at riding. The first few years it was more about beer drinking than wakeboarding. I'm still not very good, but I'm still very addicted to the sport.

(Message edited by nauty on July 24, 2007)
Old     (socalf150rider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-24-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
i was on big bear and we paid this guy name chris (who worked at the marina) he took us out... i wonder if he on here
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-24-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
was 3 years ago when i was 26 on a 3 day camping trip i was invited to go on took me 13 times but i got up been hooked and causing fights with the better looking half since.

This summer has been my big summer i am actually hitting the water enough to start to progress and we all know that just adds to the addiction.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
I went out with a friend of a friend in the summer of 95 or 96. Got up on my first try. Loved it. Went out on a X-star once in the summer of 02 and had to go buy a boat. Didn't get the opportunity to buy a boat until 04. Been going almost every week since.
Old    alanp            07-24-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
i was about 24? i bought a boat (four winns i/o)then bought a board. got up my first time and actually went wake to wake during my first run. i came from a snowboarding background and was amazed how forgiving the landings were. i was hooked after the first run.
Old     (sportydude)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
was like 2 weeks ago! haha I borrowed a guy at the lakes Body Glove board, cuz they had to work on their jet ski and my dad had to tools. not on that same board....but w/e

Upload

oh...and im 14

(Message edited by sportydude on July 24, 2007)
Old     (txadam)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-24-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
I was about 12 or 13 & rode the bright pink skurfer that my older brother bought. Been riding off & on over the years but have recently got back into it full force, riding at least twice a week.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-24-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
17 years ago on a Scurfer when I was 10. Then it was a couple of years before I rode again when I got an Obrien Shredder.
Old     (cwbx993)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-24-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
about 2 months ago lol
on a sol
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
Ah, yes, the O'Brien Shredder with the cheese grater graphics. I had one of those too. Also learned on a Skurfer years before that. Yellow Skurfer behind a 1984 MasterCraft ProStar. So hard, I think it took me like 5 tries to get up! That was on Lake Lanier. Ironically, it was one cove over from the exact spot I had first learned to ski in 1974. Thanks, I feel old now.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
1994-95 on a Hyperlite Perez with surf straps. Surface 360's and Ole's were soooo cool.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Big-5 Hydroslide board behind a jet ski.

Enough said.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-24-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
1990, yellow Skurfer. A kid brought it to Thompson Ski Ranch, a water ski camp in Bakersfield where I was an instructor, so I gave it a try.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-24-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
pink skurfer. lake trinity, summer of 1990. some old guy saw us struggling to get up on it, and he showed us how to do it. maybe it was Dococ! j/k
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
I was 13. My dad had just bought our 93 Bayliner and I borrowed my cousin Obrien Evil Twin. A week later I went out and bought my own Free Motion Swinger with sandal bindings but i had to bring it back because the bindings would rip off when I tried to jump the wake. I loved that Evil Twin!
Old     (dstockton)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-24-2007, 9:38 PM Reply   
1992, skurfer,dd ski brendella, buena vista.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
The Evil twin was badass!! I learned so many tricks on that board, first back rolls, scarecrow, wrapped 3s, toeside 5. I still have mine. Eventually ripped out the binding inserts while taking a lesson from Scott Jobe, but then I got all the girls to sign it when we were filming for Beyond 3, so now it's one that I can hang on the wall!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
heck yeah! I wanted to start in 95 but my dad wouldn't buy me a board, so I spent the rest of that summer, fall and spring trying to decide what board to buy (all while saving for said board). (the wake tech big air? A shapiro with the nose fin? or maybe an impala, a rusty seahorse or a double ender since greg and randy rode it?)

Eventually, my youthful celebrity worshipping ways allowed me to settle on the connelly dually. I heard it rode great but I really bought it becuase parks and freaking hunter brown (who I thought was the the time)were riding it. I remember the day the marina called to tell me it was in (I was in the process of making beef heart antichukos (sp) with my mom for my spanish class) and I freaked out.

First day on the water with it was memorial day of 1996 and I was wearing my hotter than hot jet pilot shorty wetsuit (the iron cross model--it was supposed to be the gator pro model or something) and it was colder than cold...but totally worth it! Heck yes!!! That summer was cool too because I bought my first pair of board shorts and all of the hot gear I thought I had to have to complete my kit--an evolve boardshop rash guard, a non stretch straightline rope (key) with the braided handle like every rad pro had at the time...

Now I wakeskate, but I have fond wakeboarding memories and I can't help but be proud of some of today's riders and how they're pushing their riding and some of the better styles out there.

And let me just say it's great to see randall back becuase he was my freaking idol...

OK, I"ll stop fanning out now...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-25-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
It was 1997. I was 17 years old. We rode behind my freind's dad's boat. It was a stripped down fiberglass hull with an old 150HP Evinrude outboard. There was no cushion anywhere and there was no driver's seat but there was a plywood backrest. It also didn't have hydraulic trim so we had to lift the outdrive ourselves on the ramp to get a better wake and then reset it after we were done so my friend's dad didn't complain. I still remember it was 7th notch for us and 3rd notch for him. We were riding the WakeTech Magic Air. Even at the time, that board was crap. That summer, we both had evening jobs. We used to board all morning and when the lake would get crowded, we'd get some lunch and then play Jet Moto or ping pong until it was time for work. Man I miss those days.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-25-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
^Liar, you thought this ad was cool

Upload

I also wanted to start in 95 but my dad wouldnt buy me a board either. i remember the first wakeboard magazines and was a huge fan of Gator and wanted the flight 69, but also torn between that and teh Shapiro with flames. The next year I finally got my first board. A hyperlite Big gun. Only wakeboard in the whole city. Not my dream but I was so excited to start wakeboarding.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-25-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
It was 1999 . . .
I was 29 years old . . .
On a Mutiny Flame 142 (still have it) . . .

At a ski school in Datchet, England. Air Nautique with tons of ballast. Got up second try. Blew my knee out on my fourth time out. Got back into it in full force last year. Am absolutely obsessed with it again.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-25-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
I was 16...she was 18...it was homecoming weekend and......oh wait a minute! wrong site!
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-25-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
I started in August of 2005. A couple of people took me out on their X2, got up on the second pull, hooked ever since. Bought my Centurion 5 months later (in the middle of winter), been riding every weekend during summer since. (Chicago season is May 1 to Oct 1 for us)
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       07-25-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
It was about 10-11 years ago on a skurfer with bungee straps behind and I/O. Then I bought my own jetski and a twin tip hyperlite board with moon boots(LOL)

Since then I have been through 8-9 boards/bindings and 4 boats.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-25-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
started 4 years ago. Yup....sweet hyperlite motive....rode about half the lake in a straight line out on my heels. Some waves came, i totally ate it out the front. It was a high quality kinda day.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-25-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
I bought my first board on 9/11/01. Me and my cousin went together and bought a CWB. We got up later in the month behind my uncles 75hp skeeter fish boat. I have been hooked since.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
well kevin, i sure thought it was interesting that kovak looked like he was naked behind that board. I actually ended up tearing that ad out because a friend of mine wanted it for her locker. Years later, I cursed that move, as I then had to search for another issue of that magazine so it would be in proper condition (the chicken salad cover--april 95 or something).

and I think anyone with any amout of taste wanted that first flight 69, myself included. :-) of course i brought it up, and of course I got laughed at (it was the most expensive board out at the time). My brother said, "maybe the hat" but even that was a joke...becuase I'd love to have that hat.

Seriously though, my very first issue of WBM was the grom issue with jacob, parks, hunter and randy. effing awesome!!!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-25-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
who is in the ad? I remember it from the early days. Jeremy Kovak, Zane, Shannon Best, and ??
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
shannon starling.
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Rode a shredder almost 20 yrs ago on kentucky lake and had a lot of fun on that thing. started wakeboarding when i bought my first boat about 2 1/2 years ago. My whole family loves boating and boarding.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-25-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
I water skied on and off in my 20's. We bought a boat 4 years ago and I started skiing again. My pro surfer daughter told me to try wakeboarding but I was too scared. So I tried anyway and I have never skied again. Now I ride 2-4 times a week. I started 4 years ago at age-----gulp-----49. (photo on profile)

(Message edited by rnopr8 on July 25, 2007)
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
Bought a pink Skurfer for $300 when I was 11 (that was about a full year of allowance and cuttin grass). Took me about a week to get up on that monstrosity, but that first time was incredible. I think it was behind a Sylvan Baritz 188. That was 17 years ago. Took a few too many years off after high school but goin strong now.
Old     (fchidsey0144)      Join Date: May 2007       07-26-2007, 3:10 AM Reply   
I'm Umm 34. We took a friend to a local cable park and I rode his board. I was up on the first try. That was March of this year. I got bit by the bug. Bought my board in may, and lovin it ever since, I still have yet to get behind the boat as it has been broken but very soon.
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-26-2007, 4:28 AM Reply   
1991 Pink Skurfer Donzi Sweet 16
Crazy combination!! I 37 at the time.

Frank

(Message edited by ftd on July 26, 2007)
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
2003 behind a centurion, i didnt even want to try it and i got up my 2nd try! i ended up going outside of the wake and getting like 1 inch of air toeside. i was 12 at the time so that was a pretty good accomplishment for me lol
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-26-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
1984 renken boat i bought for 1000 dollars in 2005...blew it up the same summer while trying to get up on my buddys lf(his first yr too)....after that summer i knew i had to get a ski boat and my own