Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
Can someone tell me which side of the surfgate/NSS is deployed when surfing? By this I mean is the surfside tab deployed or the non-surfside?
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-31-2013, 7:20 PM Reply   
Nautique site says that the wave plate redirects water to clean up the opposite wake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
So I guess that means it deploys on the non-Surfside?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-31-2013, 8:15 PM Reply   
It's all about delayed convergence. If you mess up the oppisite side of the wave you ride on the wave coming off the boat on the side your riding forms and gets huge. Watch the wake when going slow, you can see that the water coming from each side runs into each other and creates the spin of the wake. When they come crashing together they cancel each other out when going at 10 mph. But take one of those away and the shape changes for the better. Smooth and huge
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
So with surfgate weighting your surf side really heavy won't help much as that will actually pull the opposite side tab(the one that is deployed) above the water line thus reducing the effectiveness of the tab. Is there any advantage at all in weighting the surf side heavier at all, even if it is jsut a few hundred pounds more or are you better off weighting the boat completely even side to side?
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       07-31-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
Yes its the other side from where you are surfing. its cool to see how much they stick out when going (NSS).
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-31-2013, 8:35 PM Reply   
The reason I am asking this is because it seems like an aftermarket/homemade surf tab system would allow some of the older, lower profile boats to produce good surf wakes. For example The Sanger V210 is well known for throwing a great wakeboard wake without much weight. The hull even looks like it is shaped good for surfing but because of the low freeboard you can't get much weight in it(at least not when listing) to produce a great wave. If you could fill a stock center 400-700 pounds and dual rear 400-500's and use a vertically mounted tab system I wonder if it would make it a much better/easier boat to surf?

Darren, I want to see Kiwigate on your V210.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2013, 11:28 PM Reply   
I've been considering it, The v210 actually surfs pretty well for such a low profile boat. I will have a play around at Christmas time when I am at the lake house for 6 weeks.
Attached Images

Old     (Slinger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-01-2013, 11:03 PM Reply   
Sexy!, wakes ok too considering doing a mod to my v215