Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-31-2005, 5:09 AM Reply   
Straight Line Ultra-Lite Line (2005)
Product Description:
Samson’s 2-in-1 double braid rope is actually two ropes in one and is custom braided for SL. The Dyneema fiber core is constructed, then a MFP cover is braided over it for SL. Both ropes then act as a single, integrated strength member. SL’s braiding specification creates increased core strength and durability over similar wake line products.

Features:
Custom double braided rope
Dyneema fiber core with MFP cover for maximum protection and minimum stretch
70 ft. Length - 55 ft. main with a 10 ft. and 5 ft. extension
rope
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-31-2005, 5:30 AM Reply   
No, if it says minimum stretch, it means that it will stretch. Non stretch rope will have a Spectra core.
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-31-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
Alright, another question...

What about Poly-e rope? Realizing that it has some stretch, will the re-coil stretch out eventually and it be a non-stretch rope after some use?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
Tony, I think most ropes will lose their stretch with repeated use. Way back when I first started wakeboarding I used a "well used" slalom rope. I bought a Poly-E rope because it was lightweight and non-stretch and found that the stretch part was no different than my slalom rope. This was because I had already taken the stretch out from hitting the course everyday with it.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-31-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Spectra is a brand name of poly-e. The difference is not the chemical, but how it is manufactured. Spectra has minimal stretch, but will "creep" over time and elongate. It does not, however recoil. That makes is a popular choice. Spectra is the US licensed brand for the product. I can't remember what the Asian and European brand names are, but that rope is likely one of the other "brands" of Spectra equivelent. The grocery bags are made out of the same chemical and nearly the same process as the Spectra lines we use.

I did a little testing. A Spectra line has about 2" of stretch at about 250 lbs pull force. Poly-e (broken in and used one season) had about 8" while poly-p (slalom rope) had nearly 2 feet. I use poly-e a lot becuase it is easier on the shoulders when you get slack during a jump and have it take up after landing. I don't think it has a negative effect on my riding, just easier on the shoulder joints.
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-31-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
would an intermediate rider really notice the difference between this and spectra?
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-31-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
I used the poly-e at first beginning to ride, switched to spectra and noticed a huge difference, so yes, and intermediate rider will notice the difference.
Old    wakecord            03-31-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
Poly-e = polyethylene.
Spectra = UHMW PE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene)

Poly-e IS used for stuff like grocery and sandwich bags.

Spectra is used for near-zero stretch wakeboard lines as well as body-armor. Other uses for UHMW PE are snowboard and ski bases.

Poly-E and Spectra fibers are chemically related, but on a molecular basis, very different.

Some facts http://wakecord.com/spectra.htm:

Dyneema is another trade name for UHMW PE fiber.

(Message edited by wakecord on March 31, 2005)
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-01-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
I saw on a tv show once, that the spectra molecular basis is based on spyder web fibers.
It said that spyder's web fibers have some kind of "crystaline" compound that made it so strong, and that spectra has this same compound exagerated into it's basis to make it even stronger. They pulled like 5 cars from the ground with a stiff spectra rope.

Here's something i found about spectra:

Like the diamond a high strength carbon-to-carbon can be found in the polyethylene polymer. AlliedSignal transform polyethylene into the worlds lightest and strongest fiber by utilizing a gel spinning process that creates an outstanding molecular orientation within the filament. This is what gives the fiber it's incredible strength near zero stretch and unparalleled strengh. And, Spectra™ fiber is radar transparent, neutrally buoyant and is highly resistant to chemicals and ultraviolet rays.

(Message edited by luchog on April 01, 2005)
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-05-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
anyone know if Fly High Wakeboarding rope is non-stretch or just minimum stretch?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-05-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
dyneema is samsons brand of spectra. so this rope has a spectra core with a ploy cover to give it better aprasion resistance. A pure spectra core will have a little less stretch and is stronger due to the larger amount of spectra in the line. I actualy perfer the ultra lite i find that it is harder to tangle, i dont notice a difference. You could always buy the coated spectra that they make, but it is very spendy. I buy my line at a sailing store and splice the my own eyes and the 12 strand spectras are a lot easier to splice then the ultra lite. To give you an idea the strenght 3/16 sprectra has a break strengh is 5000lbs and 3/16 ultra lite is 1400lbs.