Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    zanek            05-14-2004, 11:58 PM Reply   
Hey, Is there any way to make my wake bigger other than fat sacs...cause there is NO PLACE in our boat to put them.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2004, 11:59 PM Reply   
Invite a bunch of chicks!
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       05-15-2004, 12:31 AM Reply   
There are a number of different ways to get the wake you desire. You should decide what type of wake you want to create. One is a vertical wake that offers a bucking style pop. This wake is harder to hit but delivers great pop. The other style of wake is a rampy wake. This wake is easier to hit. The vertical wake gives more pop and height while the rampy wake is smooth and offers more distance.
To create a vertical wake more weight should be placed in the rear of the boat. The farther back the better. Usually under seats works well.
The rampy wwake is created by distributing weight evenly throughout the boat. The wake will get big but with a more ramp style launch.

One thing to be aware of is rope lenght. This plays a crucial factor in the wake you jump. The reason is that the longer the rope length the more weight need to get the larger wake. Riding at 65 or 70 doesn't require extremly heavy amounts of weight. But when the rope is at 75-85 more weight is needed to get the larger wake farther back. Some people like to ride farther back because they can take huge airs and still land on the down slope of the other wake. I like to ride a little shorter because I prefer the more vertical wake and don't wish to overload the boat too much.

I would look into lead weights to weigh down the boat. It work well for me in that it fit in places that water sacs could not and did not take as much space. It is expensive but definately worth it. You don't have to fill and empty the sacs which can take alot of time. The only thing to be aware of is that it stays in the boat and you tow it around. If your boat is on the water or rarely towed thats even better. Make sure to factore the weight of people. Your going to be over weight capacity either way to get the wake you want but it iis best not to over do it. This can damage your boat if it is extremely over capacity caused by other boats wakes, choppy water, or frequently hitting double ups. The key is the the placement of the weight. I have found that putting weight in the very back of the boat, 400-500 lbs, and 200lbs in the front offers a huge wake specially when the boat has 5-8 people and is not over doing the weight. More weight will be needed if you like to ride at long rope lenght..75-85. Cheaper ways to accomplish this would be rocks in bags, sand, concrete, or elevator weight. If you do decide to use lead make sure it has a protective covering as it is toxic. There are many companies that are make lead design for wakeboarding. Check out Lead Foots, Lead Headz, and I think Pro Flight makes it too. Hope you find this helpful and good luck. Email me if you have any further questions.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            05-15-2004, 12:53 AM Reply   
what kind of boat do you have and why is there no room for sacks. Cuz if you cant find room to put a sack in i would think it would be hard to put get much weight in there unless you use some lead cuz everything else will take up a bit of room too. And gettin back to the no room for sacks- you can always just load em up on top of whatever and use them for seats
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       05-15-2004, 1:08 AM Reply   
the only disadvantage of this is that it makes it uncomfortable for the people sitting on these sacs and the time it take to fill and empty. Also you can't put the water sac in places that you can with hard weight. I have found that placement of weight plays a key role as to the shape of the wake, how much weight is needed, how much space is either taken or created, and the overall performance of the boat. Like Justin is saying, the type of boat also plays a key role. Every boat is different and creating the wake you want will vary from boat to boat. Direct drives versus V-drives. Both are great but the amount of weight along with where it can be placed differs. Hope you find the way that works for you. Good Luck!

Zride
Old    zanek            05-15-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
what happens if I put more weight up front...does that make my wake smaller?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-15-2004, 6:53 PM Reply   
putting more weight in the front will make the wake more rampy.
Old    zanek            05-15-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
yeah...cause my parrents really don't want stuff in the back cause of seating...but we have a closed bow so I could put a bunch of weight up there.

(Message edited by zanek on May 15, 2004)
Old    beerdrnknboardr            05-16-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
depending on what kind of set up you have you could toss some sacks in the back under seats or whatever kind of compartments you have back there. You might not be able to get one of the big sacks back there, but there is a pretty good size range of sacks out there and I'd think you could find something that works. If you put what kind of boat you are talking about it might be easier for people to suggest what kind of set up might work in it
Old    zanek            05-16-2004, 10:14 PM Reply   
It's an old (per say 1985) fiberform boat...the engin takes up most of the back, and on the two sides of it are seats...but, 1 seat has the batteri under it.