Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Hi, I am new to the wakeboarding & boating experience but really want to get my family involved. I am looking at a 2000 Moomba Mobius V selling for about $19,000. Any thoughts as to if this would be a good entry boat & decent buy? If not what would be, I'm mostly want to get my 14 year old son surfing & wakeboarding. Thanks for your help.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-13-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
I think you need to list options, condition of the boat, and hours on the engine for everyone to get a better determination of price.

It will definitely be a good entry boat depending on the upkeep from the previous owner and the price you have to pay.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-13-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
I think you could get a better deal, its ten years old how many hours?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-13-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
I wouldn't buy that old of a Moomba.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-13-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Agree with previous posts on the price - a bit high for model and age. Somewhere around '02 Moomba came out with the LSV with a better hull for cranking wakes but will let the real experts chime in on the details but would not have any problems owning one of their 5-7 year old LSV boats which you should be able to find in the $20K range.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-13-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Here is a reference of another one to check price point and features.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=816675

If it has similar features it seems decently priced. It's a really good entry boat in my opinion, and is after Moomba stepped up their build quality.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-13-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Dan, you might want to send a PM to Brett Yates, he recently restored and sold the same year and model boat you are referring to. He's very active on these boards. Good luck.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Cal, I didn't actually restore it. Cliff owned it for most of his the boats life and did most of the ad-ons as the boat was pretty stripped down stock I am guessing.

Dan, are you looking at the one that is in the classifieds section of wakeworld? If so his boat looks beautiful and loaded with everything you would want.

As far as what I think of the boat, I liked a lot of thing about it. It doesn't have some of the bling and super plush feeling but the boat is super simple and performs well. You have the ability to put a 1100# GG sack in the front and probably 500 or 600's in the rear. The wake with the 1100 and 350's was real nice, solid and clean. It threw a pretty decent surf wake as well. Heck even my roommate took a ski behind it and didn't mind the wake. I only had the cheap PP cruise which kind of sucked, a carb motor and no trim tab. Derrick's in the classifieds section has all 3 of those things. His also looks cleaner than mine did. In my opinion his boat is worth every bit of the 19.5 he is selling it for. The MOB V is a lot better boat than the pre 2006 Mobius LSV. It is longer, deeper and throws a meatier wake. Another thing I really like about mine was that the black had a little metal flake in it and it looked amazing on the water. Mine had the big decals removed and I really like the clean look.

The only other downfalls I can think of is that the seats don't have as thick as foam as some boats and mine had a couple seams rip. With good care that shouldn't be a big problem and for the price you can't really complain about the thinner seats.

Here are some pics of my old boat.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for your help, Jeremy here is some info on the boat.
880 hours...
330hp 5.7L V8 Fuel Injected MPI Indmar Assault Engine
2200lbs of automatic ballast
22.5' foot, playpen bow seating, seats 10 comfortably!!!
Depth Finder
Blue LED cup holders
Hydraulic Wake Plate
Perfect Pass
Collapsible Wakebord Tower
Stereo System includes: (1 Kenwood, 1 Pioneer, & 1 Rockford Fosgate amp; 12" Kicker Comp Sub, 6 Rockford Fosgate 6.5 componet speakers, 4 Eclipse Component Tower Speakers)
2 Wakeboard Racks
Grey Bimini Top (cover has a couple tears, actual bimini does not)
Custom Made black snap down cover, (perfect condition)

Brett it is Derricks boat that you referenced I am looking at.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Dan, you aren't going to find a better boat for the price. I forgot to mention that I sold my boat about a year ago for 22 or 23k I think. Mine had 800-900 hours if I remember right. With the added options and the niceness of Derricks boat you are getting a steal. You can't get a 2000 Mastercraft Xstar or a Super Air Nautique for that price and those boats are both smaller and more Core boats. I would jump at the chance to buy Derrick's boat if it checks out mechanically and is in the shape it looks to be.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/746585.html?1262974117

That moomba is no deal.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-13-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
come on man.... the first one was funny, this is just low.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Sorry - had to cover both - since this seems to be like dejavu here

I can't stand seeing someone about to get ripped off
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quoting Brett: You can't get a 2000 Mastercraft Xstar or a Super Air Nautique for that price

maybe not a 2000 but a 1999

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Mastercraft-XStar-11076880

(Message edited by beretta5spd on January 13, 2010)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Dwight, I should of clarified. You can't get a decent shape with good options 2000 Xstar or SAN for 20k. I am not sure if that is your Xstar but I would take that Moomba Mob V over that Xstar 10 out 0f 10 times. It throws just as good of a wake with 2000 pounds or less, is bigger, rides better in rough water, has more storage, has better options, a tandem trailer and is all around a better family boat. The only difference you would really see in quality is the vinyl and thickness of the padding.

Lifetime, with all due respect pull your head out of your arse. 19k for the MobV is not getting ripped off at all. I will say that the X2 you are posting is a steal though. Seems crazy that X2 hasn't sold since it has been for sale for 2 months and is priced 7-10k less than it should be. Is it not sold because the guy is too busy or is there something wrong with the boat?

(Message edited by polarbill on January 13, 2010)
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
No worries, Brett. Just seemed odd since that boat sold new for like 25k 11 years ago. My post wasn't aimed at you. Just seems to me that an X2 which sold for 49k 6 years ago at 22k now is what a serious purchaser should be looking at.

You are right about the X2 being a steal. There do seem to be some pretty good deals right now, so that may be why he still has it - he is pretty busy, though, as well.
Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
I also just found a 2004 Sanger V230 with only 150 hours on it. It is selling for $23,990 but only has front ballast. The dealer says because it's a v-drive it does not need ballast in the rear, the motor weights it down enough. Would this boat be able to surf?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Dan, I am guessing the Sanger is the one from Olinger Marine. Most of, if not all his boats are repo boats. I don't necessarily think that is a horrible thing but some people like to know that stuff.

As for the actual boat Sanger's are very highly regarded on wakeworld. They are a very well build boat and plush, they just skip the Bling. That boat will ride excellent in rough water and is quite large. The stock center ballast is hardly going to do anything to the wake and for him to say that would make me question anything he says. I have actually talked to him and he seems to be used car salesman like and will say whatever he can to try and get you to buy a boat. If you wanted to add ballast to the rear compartments you could probably get 2 bags plumbed in for $1000-$1500. Then it would surf pretty good. Overall there is some money that you would want to spend on upgrading that boat as it is a pretty bare bones boat. You can expect to pay around 1500 for perfect pass. So you would have to spend 2500+ to get the boat setup how you would probably want it. It is a decent price and a nice boat though. It looks clean.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-13-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
if you are looking at Olinger Marine. I think he has two Centurion Avalanches (1 C4 and 1 non C4) in the price range. I think it is a great boat for $. The Avalanche has one of the best surf wakes on the market, a very solid wakeboard wake but I dont think I would want to ski behind it.

It also has a ton of storage and rides great in the chop (because of its deep v hull)

BTW - I have a soft spot for the Avalanche My family loves ours (30% surf/40% tubing/30% swimming.

(Message edited by lakesurfer on January 13, 2010)
Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
thanks Brett, once again you are right & it is Olinger marine I found it on. You know your sh#t when it comes to the boat market don't you, do you sell the boats to? Your insight has been helpful.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-13-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
The 2000 Moomba may be nice, but the price does seem high to me. I understand it may be roomier or a better wake maker (in some's opinions) that the Xstar or SAN of the same year, but no way it commands the same amount of cash.

If you buy the boat and decide that you need newer, how much are you willing to lose when you go to sell it?
Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Everyone here seems to have a wealth of knowledge, I appreciate all the help and different opinions.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Brett, no that's not my xstar....The reason I brought it up is resale. You may buy the moomba because you like it more (and have every reason to) but at the end of the day more people are going to pick up a mastercraft as opposed to a comparable moomba. If I was shopping for a Moomba, Centurion, Svfara, Sanger, etc. and a similarly priced Mastercraft/SAN came up I would most definitely want to check out the Mastercraft/SAN.

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Dan, I use to sell Mastercraft's and Centurion's. That and I waste an incredible amount of time looking at boats online.

Here is the problem with most xstar's from that era. Most aren't well equipped so you would end up spending 3-5k setting up the boat to be equivalent to the Moomba. At that point the Xstar isn't a good deal. Honestly if you pay 19 for that Moomba I guarantee that you don't lose much if you decide to sell within a year or 2.

It is tough to decide what is more important, getting a smoking deal or getting the boat that suits your needs better? I obviously think that the Moomba for 19k is more than fair.

What you really need to do is go sit in and ride in some of these boats. That is a problem since you are all snowed in up there in Minnesota.

Dwight, would you buy a similar year and price Mastercraft over a Moomba if you had to spend 5 grand to make it comparable to the Moomba in options?

(Message edited by polarbill on January 13, 2010)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
Here is actually a worthwhile comparison. A 2000 MC Xstar that is black with a tandem trailer and PP. It still probably needs the rear ballast plumbed but would be much more comparable and worth checking out.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1545038942.html
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Brett, to answer your equation...probably although just throwing a number out like 5000 is silly. For example not everyone needs a tandem trailer, or tower speakers, or ballast. I mean we're looking at getting a 14 year old into the sport. I'm not a Moomba Basher (one of my favorite wakes is a gravity games edition) but at the end of the day the more well known brand is Mastercraft and if you were to upgrade in the future by trading in you will do far better with the Mastercraft as opposed to the Moomba as you know. In my opinion (I don't have the history in selling boats like you do)I would much rather stick with Mastercraft. Plus I could customize it how I wanted it and over time.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
Seems I'm not the only one with my head up my arse...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
To compare the Mobius V to. Here is a 2000 with less hours but it doesn't have the FI motor, trim tab, tower speakers, bimini and board racks and probably doesn't have PP. It also isn't as desirable a color as the black one.

http://www.southaustinmarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=09297449X1K13K2010J7I39I0 9JPMQ3731R0&veh=1520304

Here is one that is more in line with what the black one is but with a lot less hours. It is definitely overpriced but it gives the buyer something to gauge their purchase off of.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=816675

Here is an 01 version that is overpriced.

http://www.66trader.com/viewvehicle.aspx?VID=361&VCAT=2

And an 03 for 30k.

http://www.runwalkjog.com/boats/idaho/03MoombaMobius906.htm

The last 3 are all overpriced but the 2000 black one surely isn't overpriced. It may not be a screaming deal but it is a very fair price.

From what I can see most 1999 and 2000 Xstars are listed in the 20k range so I don't think the Xstar is a better DEAL. Also anyone who preaches mastercraft resale value is kidding themselves. They have the worst if for no other reason their boats lose the most value dollar wise and percentage wise. It is probably pretty close to any high priced boat new. It shows you the Moomba resale is great. It lost less than half the amount of the Xstar if we are talking dollars to dollars.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-13-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
one thing I notice, and I wont name anybody.

People seem to think that moomba quality is not as good as other boat companies.....this is complete b.s. I have owned c.c and brendella and m.b. and been in all the rest.Moomba is just as well built, and very comparable these days if you buy one optioned right out you are rally in the same price area as most other boat brands so no slagging any skiers choice products please, atleast know what you are talking about....I do.
now this boat looks great, but what does it have for options....how much ballast, what engine?

Mc and san have plenty of their own problems to call them Better than a moomba!!!!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
Ahh yes brett I see your point when it comes to new boat depreciation. The depreciation on a new mastercraft/nautique is huge and too much for your average income to swallow. Used is a different story in my opinion. Let someone else soak up the most depreciation and then buy it. Which is where we're at in this case. When you crunch the numbers that way you're buying way more boat (compared to new and we're talking dollar wise) with a cc or mastercraft than moomba or the likes. We're talking dollar wise as opposed to product comparability. A dream boat of mine is a Super Sport Nautique but even a 95-96 still sells for a pretty high dollar. I doubt you could ask that out of a moomba.

And on a side note I liked use of the word "preaches." Not sure if you seen on my profile that I'm a pastor or not but if u did that was pretty clever.

Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-13-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
I would get something a little newer and spend about 23-25k. I bought a 98 tige last year with 300 hrs in excellent shape for 17k. Once a get it just the way I like it I will be into it for about 23k. For a couple g's more I could hav had an 04 or 05 in just as good of shape. If I had to do it over again I would have gone that route
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
Mc and san have plenty of their own problems to call them Better than a moomba!!!!

Thanks! That made me laugh.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-14-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
Wow, this thread went down hill quick. Seems to be alot of douche bags out waiting to pounce on any and every thread. Isnt that right lifetimewarranty?

You cant compare used boats without looking/driving them in person.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-14-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
Wow

Called out on WW for laughing at the idea that a 100k boat is just the same as a 35k boat.

I won't stoop to your level of name calling Big e.

Just for your education, Nada (not 100 percent accurate, but gives the idea) lists a 2000 moomba for 10k (no options selected) and it lists the 2000 X-star for 15k (no options selected)

Do the math, man. I'm just trying to shed some light for this guy. I never said Moomba isn't a great boat. I never said don't get it. I simply don't think it is a screaming deal, and there are screaming deals out there right now.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-14-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
Cutting down a guys boat thats for sale without ever seeing it is not a cool move IMO. Doesnt matter the make of it. Thats the point i was making, no offense.
For the record Nada is a joke.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-15-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
Yeah - I didn't mean to cut down the guys boat. That was not my intent. I knew it didn't come off like I wanted it too.

I would never do that in the classifieds, but here, I felt I should at least point out that there are high end boats for similar prices.

When you are new to the boating thing, you might not realize the differences in brands, and why one would possibly be a better deal.

Like I said, it was only because it is in the open forum that I posted a opposing view for him.

He needs to really shop around right now and dial in exactly what he thinks he needs. It is a great time to be buying.

And you are right...Nada needs to pull their heads out. 10k and 15k respectively for the Moomba and Xstar...hahaha.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-15-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
ok have to voice my opinion all the boats are made close to the same way what makes the differance is the quality of the fit and finish.my brother owns a boat shop so i have been in them all. one is not truley better than the other just diff.rigging truley there is no such thing as a 70.000 dollar wake boat just 70.000 dollar suckers
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-15-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
I don't disagree that some manufacturers blow the worth of their boats up. I am an 01 Xstar owner. However after being in some of the price point boats its the interior things that go to hell quicker. I have seen it on our lake. The reason I bought the MC and not some of the other brands. As far as build hull etc they to me are all pretty close it is the extras that will annoy you. Nothing wrong with a Moomba to me more like a honda as apposed to a lexus. And I have owned 3 hondas and now toyota's. If its just for your kid go for it you will just have a tuffer time down the road selling than you would a comparable MC,SAN etc. Just get on the water for some family time.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-15-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-Malibu-SUNSETTER-VLX-95656866
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-15-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Thats a great post by tampawake, back in the era of this moomba the vinyl and foam padding was not as thick as were out on the supra line of skiers choice, they have made adjustments since but it looks well taken care of and at the end of the day, lexus or honda well taken care of (moomba or mc or san) they will function the same and get you on the lake havin good times and creating great memmories.