Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old                09-13-2003, 9:22 PM Reply   
Anybody out there skied behind a 209, if so how soes the wake compare to others you've riden behind?
Thanks for the help
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
I demo'd a 2001 X-9 when I was boat shopping, and sorry to say, it was the worst ski wake of every boat I tested. If you are concerned about the ski wake, I would recommend staying away from Mastercraft in this size segment. If you are looking for a boat in the 21' range, I would suggest you check out the Nautique 206, the Supra Sunsport, or Malibu Sunsetter. Those were my top 3 when I was testing.
Old                09-15-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
Bruce,
In what ways did the wake not measure up, too large, too firm, wrong shape. Any additional information sure would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
Steve,
I would try to ski behind one - you may be surprised. For whatever reason, there is a bias on this board against the 209/X-9 from both the wakeboarders and skiers. I personally believe most people on this board are a little too hardcore - some of us enjoy doing more than just slalom or wakeboarding and don't need a huge "bust your knees" wake or a small "limited to slalom can't do anything else" wake. Because of this requirement to do both, obviously there will be comprmise on both sides for a do-it-all boat. I have one and absolutely love it - and so do six or so other people on my lake (maybe we just don't konw any better). Unlike most on this board, I do just about everything: slalom, trick, board, wakeskate, surf, kneeboard, hydrofoil, barefoot, tube and just cruise around. The versatility is fantastic - and the direct drive drives so much better than a V-drive. And, the boat is huge -there is so much room for people and gear. Note that I am not a hard core slalom skier - I occasionally ski the course at 15 off/32mph and also do some free skiing. My old boat was an 88 MC ProStar 190 - I personally can't tell much difference between that wake and my X-9 wake. But, the difference in the two boats is incredible - the new MC is such a nice boat. I actually have a video of me skiing behind it at 32 mph - I can try to post it somewhere if you would like to see the wake.

-Keith
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
Steve - To be fair to that boat, it was two years ago that I tried it, so it is not a recent demo. However, I do clearly remember how disappointed I was because I loved the look of that boat and had pre-determined that I was buying it. The wake was hard and bigger than the other boats I compared it to. I ski and board almost every week behind my Supra Sunsport and also a buddy's Wakesetter direct drive. Both of those boats have excellent slalom wakes and good wakeboard wakes, and in my opinion, are significant improvements for slalom over the 209. I go about 60% slalom and 40% wakeboard, and like to do the course. If you tend to be the same, I think you will be disappointed with the 209 for slalom.

Keith - You are absolutely right on trying the boat. When you buy new, you should demo all of the models you can for a comparison and to avoid an expensive, depreciating purchase that you regret. I do take exception to your comment about bias. Steve asked for opinions, and I provided mine based on my own experience. You also did the same, and that is what he was looking for. Saying others' opinions are "biased" is unfair. IMO, that boat does not ski as welll as older Mastercrafts and as well as similar boats from other manufacturers, and that why a lot of skiers have stated that opinion.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Bruce,
I should have been more clear - I did not intend to convey that your particular opinion was biased. In fact, I thought it was really good information based on real experience (for once :-). My comment is related to other posts I have read regarding boat reviews in general on this and other wakeboarding sites. Everyone loves to spread disinformation based on hearsay and their own biased opinions (I use the discussions regarding the new X-Star as an example - only a few have ridden behind one but everyone has an opinion).
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
Good points. I guess I just ignore the posts where people are obviously biased towards their own boats, or the ones where you can see they have no hands-on experience with a boat. I also check the age in the profile. That usually says it all!
Old                09-16-2003, 6:09 PM Reply   
Bruce/Keith,
I really appreciate your two inputs, I have a chance to pick up a 2001 X-9 at a below book and am debating about selling my 1998 Mastercraft Powerstar 200 (Mastercrafts Outboard Barefoot Boat) as an upgrade. Any chance you guys or anyone else out there would have skied behind these two boats? Anyways, the wake on this boat is firm and about 8 to 12 inches at 32 mph. I probably Ski/Wakeboard similar ratios as discussed above. No opportunity to do a course but am a very avid skier. (My passion is for skiing not wakeboarding, took up wakeboarding to keep up with my brother and kids). The problem I'm faced with is the X-9 is on the otherside of the country, guess I need to buy a ticket and give it a try. Thanks for all the input, that's what I love about this site.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
Steve - I actually have skied a few times behind the MC Barefoot boat just like yours, but it has been about 4 years. I remember the wake as being small and soft (and I remember the taste of the outboard gas in the water...LOL). I really can't compare them well because it has been a long time.

It is a big purchase decision, so my advice is still to try one. Go to your local dealer and demo one and then you will know for sure.

Based on what you are telling me, I don't think you will like the wake, but Keith has a different opinion and he is using the boat all the time. There are lots of boats around this time of year below book, so I would widen your search to the other boats (Air Nautique, Supra Sunsport/Launch SS, and Malibu Wakesetter/Sunsetter LXI) I mentioned and see if any are out there.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
Steve,
For some reason your profile isn't coming up - but if you live anywhere near Chicago/Southwest Michigan I would be happy to give you a pull. One thing I always found interesting - MC markets the X-9 and 209 as "AWSA Approved" - which I suppose means it can be used to pull tournaments (not that you neceassarily would want to). Does anyone know what that designation really means??
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
AWSA - American Water Ski Association. I think it is a "marketing certification," meaning if the manufacturers pay for it, it gets certified. I'm sure there are some general criteria for it, but I have heard it is is only about paying for that seal of approval.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-17-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Bruce - I figured it was a marketing ploy.

Steve - I was able to post the video of me skiing behind the X-9 on a web site. Send me or post your e-mail address and I will send you the link.

-Keith
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       09-17-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
While I've never been behind a Master Craft in my life, I have recently made the switch from outboard to inboard. It's a whole different world. I think no matter what your choice is, you'll be happy with the switch to inboard.

I have an '03 Malibu Sportster and it is the entry level Malibu. Pretty plain in comparison to the X-9. Fat sac filled, wedge down, the boarders love it. 1/4 Tank of gas, 3, people in the boat, no sac, no wedge, I love it. It's a great slalom boat.

Good luck and happy boating.
Old                09-17-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input eveyone, this site is great for getting information.

Keith,
My e-mail address is rflamman@sisna.com. I'd be interested in seeing the effects of the wake on how you come accross. I've skied behind a Maristar 200 which has the same hull only the motor is mounted in the back of the boat with a transmission, the wake in that case was a little larger than my present boat. I'll be interested to see you video clip.
Thanks Again,
Steve
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-17-2003, 8:04 PM Reply   
Steve,

Check your e-mail.

-Keith
Old                09-19-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
Hey Keith,

The e-mail didn't make it, could you try again?

Thanks,
Steve
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-22-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
Steve,

I sent it again. If you don't receive it, e-mail me at k_wilton@sbcglobal.net and I will reply.

-Keith