Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    soxgirl45            05-07-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hi, I'm new to wakeboarding (I just got an O'Neill Custom), and I'm trying to get all the right gear for the sport. I'm going to get a life vest, but I'm not sure which type is the best for wakeboarding. The neoprene ones seem to be what all the wakeboard sites carry, but they're also way more expensive than normal nylon vests. If anyone could tell me the difference between the neoprene and nylon life vests, and which one is better for wakeboarding, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old    wakeboardn4life            05-07-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
your def gunna want to go with neoprean thats what every wakeboarder wears and there alot more durable
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2005, 12:42 AM Reply   
i have a neoprean. they are waaaaaay more comfortable, its just like wearing a regular tight vest, it doesnt stick to you or anything like nylon. the deal is, its not nessesary, like a $500 board isnt, like a $60,000 boat isnt. but, it is way more comfortable and way more durable. i say go with it, it will last you and you will be happy you made the choice when your out in the water.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-08-2005, 2:13 AM Reply   
yea man, theres nothin like sore nipples after a day of riding in a nylon vest thats worn out after one season
Old    leggester            05-09-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
I've never fouind a USCG approved neoprene with large enough arm holes. They always seem to chafe under the arms.

I've neve had a vest wear out in one season no matter what I've done to it. I seem to favor HO vests too.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-09-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
I just made the switch to neo this year. The other "benefit" for me at least is a wet neo doesn't feel as cold as a wet nylon when you put it back on for another set.

Eric
Old    wickedwake            05-09-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
Matt: Check out "The Law" I have always had the same problem, no vests were large enough in the chest and arm holes, until I picked up "The Law" from O'neill. This vest is like non other.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-10-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
O'neill makes great neo vests. Top knotch. I had a USCG neo vest, but it was way too bulky and heavy in the chest area, so it was all I could do to even grab my board. Luckily my B-day was on Friday, and I got the new O'neill Vapor vest, and it is A+. I will never go back to nylon vests, regardless of the price.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2005, 5:45 AM Reply   
I am assuming you are female by your username, you will definitely want to go neo, unless you are completely flat chested. Nylon vest are usually never cut right for females, my wife didn't really care for watersports until I bought her a neo vest. Now no more tugging at the nylon vest that would be strangling her because it wouldn't stay in place. Neo is the only way to go, so much more comfortable and durable.

Jb
Old    alanp            05-11-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
you guys are crazy. go with nylon, if you can afford it that is. the fit is superb. comfort level unparalleled. there are many styles to go with. the classic orange. fancy fisherman camo. or the classic mustard yellow training pfd. way more pros than cons with the nylon. if money is tight check out some yard sales in your area these things are bountiful. later