Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-04-2013, 3:22 PM Reply   
A much closer vote than I thought it be http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...ts-over-to-un/
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-04-2013, 3:39 PM Reply   
Yes. I am an idiot. I meant to say "How Long Before This Passes Without Anyone Noticing.""
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
LOL, "Stuart Smalley" Franken.... F'ing ponderous
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2013, 5:08 AM Reply   
This has come up before, just making its rounds over the internet again. People just trying to put a gun control slant on it.

It’s not a “Gun Control Treaty” it’s an Arms Trade Treaty dealing with only international trade, it has nothing to do with sale and ownership within the united states or other countries. There is specific language in it which states that it “pertains to international arms trade, and would have no effect on current domestic laws” It also states that it is “the exclusive right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms and national ownership, including through constitutional protections on private ownership.” And as a matter of international law, the UN has no authority over constitutional rights so there is no way that Obama or any other politician can use this to circumvent the 2nd amendment.

"The Arms Trade Treaty has nothing to do with restricting the legal sale or ownership of guns within the United States. The aim of the Trade Treaty is to combat the illicit trade of arms by "tightening regulation of, and setting international standards for, the import, export and transfer of conventional weapons" in order to "close gaps in existing regional and national arms export control systems that allow weapons to pass onto the illicit market." The text of the proposed treaty specifically "reaffirms the sovereign right and responsibility of any State to regulate and control transfers of conventional arms that take place exclusively within its territory, pursuant to its own legal or constitutional systems," so even if such a treaty came to pass, U.S. rights and laws regarding the sale and ownership of small arms would still apply within the United States."
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2013, 9:22 PM Reply   
Fat B: You got it all wrong, sucka

It may not create any trouble with getting American made guns, but getting anything crafted in another country (i.e. some Berretta products) will be regulated. Not to mention that importing AK's (oooooh they're evil anyway) and ammo will be regulated.

Eff the UN. What have they done for you lately? We're their back bone. As far as I'm concerned, I want no part of anything they're involved in.

One more liberty you're government is willing to give up for you. What side are you on?
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Again, trying to put a gun control slant on it, and that isn't what it is. Before you label me a hippie gun hater I own both an AR-15 and an AK, those evil 7.62 Russian rounds are a hoot.

Importantly, the treaty would not force anything new upon the United States or upon American companies, because federal laws and regulations already require United States arms manufacturers to comply with a comprehensive export control system, one designed to keep American weapons out of the hands of human rights abusers and other bad actors. The treaty would simply level the playing field for our defense industry in the international marketplace by making other countries follow the same rules. This is good for American businesses.

So I guess it could potentially drive up the cost of a Beretta, and I did get my Benelli Nova for pretty cheap but the language in the bill very explicitly targets illicit trade and nothing to do with types of weapons or keeping them out of the hands of legal gun owners.

While I admit the idea of driving international gun prices up or even making some harder to get is a very reasonable concern, and to honest not something I thought about. But the original post was about the US turning over our gun control laws to the UN which is preposterous.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
We can't import AKs as it is... We import parts kits that have been demilled. Assembly in the US requires X number of US made parts based on the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 which put in place the 922r rules we follow on these builds.