Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-03-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
My son is having trouble going wake to wake. He rides behind a Calabria Pro V, so it is a really wide wake. He consistently lands either just before or on top of the wake. Should we add more ballast or increase boat speed to help him with this move? He usually rides at about 19mph and we ride with empty ballast tanks and about 6 riders in the boat. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old     (jbenbri)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-03-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Maybe shorten the rope?
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-03-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Speed up or shorten the rope, or a combo of both. Technique too. I would suggest an educational video like Higher Education
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-03-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Find a good instructer for a 1 hour lesson, a wise investment for about $50.00 or $60.00.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-03-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
I'd speed up (21-22), 19mph is pretty slow and would definatey make for a wider wake.
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-03-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
assuming his fundamentals are sound... more speed will make the wake less wide. that's the first thing i would try. 19 is pretty slow. if that doesn't help, you could try taking 5 feet off the rope, but only to build confidence, not as a permanent solution. more ballast probably wouldn't help; with solid technique you should be able to go w2w any wake size.

in case his fundamentals aren't dialed, it would definitely help to check out this article building blocks (progressive edging, loading the line, etc.):

http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Basics.asp

a lot of beginners have a tendency to bend their knees when they hit the wake. it's a natural reaction. instead, have him extend his legs at the top of the wake, that will give him the pop he needs to make it to the other side. going w2w is all in your progressive edge edge and your pop off the wake, which is covered in the above article.

good luck!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-03-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Jessica, post a vid if you can...
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-04-2006, 12:04 AM Reply   
I don't have any vid. I wish I did. I do know that when he jumps the wake his board is at an angle to the wake, not parallel, could this be his error? And if so how does he correct it. He does edge well into the wake, and gets a good pop off of it. Thanks for everyone's help, it's hard to help him when he is the most advanced boarder we have! (He does have "The Book" and is using it, thank goodness!)
Old     (highmarkco)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-05-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
You deffinetely have to come straight into the wake. Any angle at all with change your pop. Also, shortening the rope is a great way to build confidence.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
19mph is to slow, wake is wide and most likely very abrupt at a short rope length try 65 at 20.5 to 21.

You don't want him charging strainght at the wake cause then by the time he reaches the other side the boat will pull him on his face, just edge at the almost pointing at the back corner od the boat (passanger side if going w2w from drivers side to passenger side)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-05-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
speed up and give him a little ballast. and I agree with Kenny. You CANNOT hit the wake straight on, board has to be angled toward the boat.
Old     (rileyg)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-05-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
When I was first learning I was told to cut out as far as possible and than cut in straight at the wake. Tell him to do that and bend his knees before he pops off.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-05-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
you were probably told that to get comfortable hitting the wake with speed. Now that Jessica's son is hitting the wake with some speed, he needs to control his speed and channel into the wake so that he gets booted. not flatten out or shoot thru the wake
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
I do have a picture to show what I meant about the angle. I didn't describe it very well. When he pops of the wake his board is at a angle to the surface of the water. As shown below:
Upload
Another one:
Upload
And don't dog my wake I know it isn't even or the greatest but it works for us right now.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-05-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Anderson lake?
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-05-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Make a wider turn before cutting, gradually pulling harder into the lip of the wake and shorten that rope.
Old     (rebel_ma)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
Issac = No, San Antonio, central coast, ca

How short on the rope? 65ft or shorter? and when do you let it back out? Will it be a disadvantage in the long run to shorten the rope?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
1. wake is way washed out
2. pointing to much towards the boat

When looking from the boat to him his board should be about 4 o'clock position, in the picture it's in the 5:30 postion.

Lenghten the rope when he has good edging, pop off the wake, good handle control. then lenghten it and remember the basic's but it'll come fast.