Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-20-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Ok, I know I'm a little late to the game but I finally got a an LCD HD TV. I'm just getting started and have yet to buy a single component that can take advantage of my new Sony Bravia. However, when I plug in my standard def directv receiver, I didn't expect it to look worse than my old TV. There's all kinds of ghosting and remnants on the image and the more motion there is, the worse it gets. It looks like a jpg image that was over- optimized to make the file smaller. Any ideas?

The second question would be what to look for in a bluray player cuz I think that's going to be my next purchase. Thanks.
Old    bigdtx            04-20-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
a standard DVD should look great on an HD TV just using standard RCA inputs. If that's not the case then it might be the TV. If it's just the TV reception then it sounds like a problem there.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-20-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
I just got a 46" Sony LED LCD. Its awesome hooked to HD cable and BlueRay through HDMI.

It is possible that you are seeing crap in high definition now. STD garbage in -> even worse HD garbage out.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-20-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
Thats actually a common complaint about LCD tvs, that they actually look sub-par in standard definition, compared to a plasma. its just the way it is with LCDs, i dont know why. The Blu-Ray is worth it though, as well as the HD. you wont be let down. We just picked up a 55" LED, and the blu-ray is unbelievable, its almost weird to watch. i'd say maybe check one of those out if you have a return period? always worth a shot.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
When I bought my LCD the guy told me, expect stand def to look worse than on your old set. Gotta be HD content to look good on LCD, I am sure someone here can drop some technical knowledge on the conversation.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-20-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
I've got the Samsung BD-P1590 Blu-Ray player and it's awesome. It has Netflix built in so it's really easy to watch movies that are available on instant view. It also has pandora which is pretty nice when I want to listen to music through out the room. I've had nothing but good experiences with it so far.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-20-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
I think it's a scam. If the standard definition channels looked as good as the HD channels on an HDTV, then why would you pay extra for the same channels in HD? Get the HD box and either the RCA cables or a HDMI cable, and pay the man for the HD channels (like I do). Make sure you are not using that screw-in cable (co-axial?).

If you plan on renting or buying a bunch of Blue Ray DVDs, then get the blue ray player. I don't watch many DVD's so I bought a HD dvd player (Samsung 60.00) that is supposed to upgrade the picture to 1080p. Looks fine to me, and I couldn't justify spending the extra 150.00. If at all possible, wait till next Christmas time when I am sure we will see Blue ray players for under 100.00.
Old    deltahoosier            04-20-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
If you do not have a HD box, you are not using any of the HDMI or the RGB inputs. You are taking a 480 lines signal and making them fit on a screen that has 1080 lines of horizontal resolution. Basically it is going to block a bunch of pixels together. If you have a HD box, it will at least do some up conversion for you. You also may have stretch feature selected on your TV to make the 4:3 ratio picture to fit on your 16:9 picture.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-20-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
When you accessorize your TV and need some HDMI cables, just go to Amazon and do a search. You can get them for almost nothing, especially compared to some you see at Best Buy and such. I got a 2 pack for like $8.

I'll agree that it seems to sometimes be a scam, if your watching regular TV that is, but some channels, like Universal HD and Discovery HD, I can really tell a difference. However, some things just seem splotchy. I guess it depends on the movement too, but I think that's because I cheaped and bought 60hz.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
Best website to use for cables, mounts, etc. is www.monoprice.com
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
At first it will look like balls, you'll get use to it..... and with that said you'll ask yourself, "why on earth did I get this?"
but once you get some HD you'll forget all about it
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-21-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
+1 on dont buy any hdmi cables that cost you more than $10. UNless your a freak about picture qaulity and have eagle eyes. And in regard to HD vs Non HD, Sports you can really see the difference along with nature shows. Alot of reg shows arent filmed in HD so they are converted and tend to look very similiar to reg channels.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
I'll tell you what I do like. It has wireless and Netflix built in, so now I can watch movies instantly whenever I want. Now that is cool!! It's got YouTube built in as well. Still exploring, but lots of stuff in this TV!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Oh, and the Showtime series from Netflix I was watching last night looked pretty darn good.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-21-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Our LCD has always looked worse on non-HD channels than it did on our old set. HD channels are gold.. but non-HD are pretty crappy.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-21-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
As others have mentioned, standard def TV on an HDTV looks worse than it does on a standard def TV. Soooooo, to take advantage of your new HDTV you will need to upgrade your service with Direct TV to an HD tuner and HD service. Then and only then will you get the picture you were hoping for.

As far as Blu-Ray, some movies look awesome in Blu-Ray and others don't look any better than a regular DVD. Most animated movies look awesome on Blu-Ray, but film movies are hit and miss. No Country For Old Men is one that comes to mind as far as a film movie looking great in Blu-Ray.

As others also mentioned, don't waste your money on Monster Cables or any other high priced cable. Instead, go to www.monoprice.com. Their cables deliver the same signal as the higher priced brands at a tenth of the cost. Lastly, pick yourself up a copy of "Digital Video Basics" on DVD or Blu-Ray (depending on what you have). You can use this $20 DVD to calibrate your TV just as good as the Geeks at Best Buy do for $150. Plus, it will educate you on everything you ever wanted to know about HDTV.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-21-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Go to monoprice.com for most any type of cable at good prices. I have bought alot of stuff from them without any complaints sofar. Oops, I see someone just beat me to it.
Old    sperbet            04-21-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
don't buy cheap hdmi cables off ebay. I just did that thinking I was a smart guy and it doesn't transmit the signal from my 360 to the tv. Did some online research and it seems that cheap cables are the common problem. However, when researching I did see others suggesting monoprice.com for them. I haven't had a chance to order from there but will likely give it a go
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2010, 3:57 AM Reply   
David, like most LCD's that come from China, they are factory set. You need to look at either getting it calibrated or looking into AVSForum.com and asking those guys what settings they have there TV on. For me, I waited after 30 hours for the "break end" time and then had mine calibrate. It was amazing in the difference. It did take about an hour to do it, but the guy had these little pucks and a computer and it did the settings on the software inside the TV. He calibrated the TV for my XBox, DVD, BluRay and regular TV. Best $250 you can spend!! Go to Best Buy and ask there TV Geeks what they charge and how they do it. It is very detailed. Hope this helps.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-22-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Yep, std def looks worse, that surprised me at first, but I don't ever watch it on my HD tv anyways, so it doesn't bother me. I just wasn't expecting it.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-22-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
Wow, all this makes me feel like I'm living on the past. I have a standard plasma, basic cable, and a DVD player that is 10 yrs old! But on he other hand we don't watch much tv or movies.