Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-23-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
That sucks Shima! I heard through the grapevine they weren't anticipating more water in Willard and it would prolly be shut down in July due to low level once they starting pumping it dry for the farmers.
I take it it's float off the trailer and wade in/out now? What's the depth I'm the main marina and channel?

1 more week of arctic WOOT!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-23-2013, 8:11 PM Reply   
Matt,
It looks like they extended one of the South docks out about an extra 5-10ft. The water depth in the marina is still fine depending on where you are. If you stay near the middle, it's 8-10ft. The channel is 10-12ft. I still back up off the trailer but you just need to choose which aisle to use, especially depending on which way the wind is blowing, otherwise it could push the boat towards the rocks.

Water temps are rising fast, in the low-mid 60's depending on where on the lake you are. Also, the horse flies are already out and the hatch has been going big for the past week.
Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-25-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
Shima, bugger about the prop. Glad they could turn it around for you in a day.

You heading out this weekend?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-25-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
Hey Scott,
I got invited on a friends boat tomorrow morning at Pineview. I haven't made any plans yet for Monday but will let you know if we head out. How about you?
Old     (surfdoc16)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-11-2013, 4:10 PM Reply   
hey guys.. new to the post..
living in Park City.. just got rid of my boat and still waiting on the new one... anyone in the park city area ever have an extra seat on the boat let me know.. always have gas $$... do alot more surfing then wakeboarding now a days but always down to throw down a wakeboard run to get on a boat..

715 518 2714
thanks
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-13-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Welcome Chris!
I'm up in Layton which is about an hour away but Jay Dutton lives up in PC and likes to surf a lot. You can find his contact info on his profile in this thread.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-13-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
Welcome Chris!
Hit up Mike aka Matt (duramat). The bro is a crazy surfer but lives in the valley and mostly goes to Willard Bay. I don't get up the mountain munch when we have some really goodness down here but will let you know. 2nd Jay, bro is always down and always riding...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-08-2013, 7:33 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, here's some pics of your boat from yesterday. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-08-2013, 8:01 AM Reply   
Rob Calaguas on his Centurion Enzo, just a few hours before he broke his femur on a wake jump. He had surgery last night at McKay-Dee hospital in Ogden. Going to see him later today & will update everyone on how he's doing.
Attached Images

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
Wow, broken femur is no joke... Sending good juju his way....
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-08-2013, 9:16 PM Reply   
Thanks EJ!

Update on Rob - after a rough morning battling nausea, he was released from the hospital earlier tonight after the doctor cleared him to go home. I drove him home and he's still obviously in pain but is also in good spirits.
Old    dhorton            07-09-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
Nice pics Ryan... Scott's Bu appears to be properly slumped! Mr McBada$$ looks like hes digging that wake! Best wishes on healing and rehab Rob. What's the status on your boat Ryan?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-09-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Thanks David! Boat is back up and running. Got her back about a week and a half ago. Been pulling a bunch of the local riders since Wake in the Snake is this Saturday and Monster Wake Up is the following weekend at PV. How you guys been doing? Getting out at all?
Old    dhorton            07-09-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Ryan life is busy as always, I've hit the water 1 time since we rode last Glad to hear your boat is back on the water!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-09-2013, 4:40 PM Reply   
That's a bummer David! We need to change that!
Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-10-2013, 9:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics Ryan, they are great.

Keen to hear how wake in the snake goes, we are off to Seattle this weekend for a 4 days weekend, also got a leave pass to go to King of Wake which I am really looking forward to.

Hows Rob coming along?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-10-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
Have a great trip Scott and take great pics/video of the competition, and post them up!

Rob is recovering well at home now. He'll have his first follow up with his doctor in a couple of weeks and then start his rehab.
Old     (tami_tams)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-19-2013, 10:08 PM Reply   
Need a third, additional ballast, or have an open spot? I work from home + travel so my schedule is fairly flexible. I just moved to Salt Lake a few months ago and love the lake - will drive for good water!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-21-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
"Dad!! Check out that sweet Enzo!!" Says my 9 yr old son. A couple weeks later, "DAD, I saw that sweet Enzo again when we were driving by Smith and Eddies!" Hopefully that cheers up a man with bum femur get we'll soon!

Chris, PM me we shall see if we can get ya out with some Surf Mafia. There's a few of us that try to get out often. Willard is home base but I don't know for how much longer (depending on water)

This season has been crappy for me so far, I've been so busy and with late start I've only been out a few times
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-21-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
Tami, send me your cell # in a PM. I usually hit up willard bay twice a week but my boat is in the shop right now. Waiting to here back from them hopefully this week when it will be ready.

Matt, I heard from Glen this morning that the North marina is open now. You can still launch from the south but need to be careful because the water level is under 3 feet at the docks so you need to nose in to pick people up. Once you start heading out of the marina, the water level is fine if you just stay right in the middle.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-21-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
Good to know Shima thanx! Last time out there (2 weeks ago) when coming intro the channel I noticed a lucked out as my gauge said 2'! Lesson learned, don't turn out to early to the wall LOL
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-21-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
Matt, I hear you. I already had to fix my prop once this summer, don't want to do that again!
Old     (Banmbc)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-24-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
Hey ryan can ya post up where you got your prop fixed. Last i heard the old guy at marine prop by clearfield job corps is no longer open.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-24-2013, 11:32 PM Reply   
Ben, unfortunately that guy in Clearfield passed away from what I was told. I used A-rock props 801-281-8288
Old     (gcombe)      Join Date: May 2007       07-29-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
so we took the kayak out to get a good reading of what the water depth is in the north since we have not been there for about a year.... my take... be damn careful. DO NOT and I mean DO NOT go anywhere to the south once you launch in the marina.... there is a huge ridge over there that measured 18 inches deep... so shallow that I got out of the kayak and the water was not knee deep.

the south is fine.. still 4.5 feet deep.. just pretend the docks dont exist .. my take walk out to your boat and you will be just fine for a bit longer... but I watched a nice 2012 supra sit and grind on the rocks below the docs on 7/28/2013 . had to have a person hop in the water that might have been a foot deep and un lodge it from the bottom...
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-29-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thanks for the update Glen!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-02-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
Hey Shima, did you get to Jordanelle to drive the SA and SC yesterday?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-02-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
Hey Dustin,
Yeah, I drove and surfed behind the SC for most of the day. Didn't get to wakeboard because it was too windy so the water was really choppy. I drove the SA back in May. I'll be doing a review soon of the SC, like I did for the SA, for Marine Products and Supra.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-03-2013, 4:00 PM Reply   
Hey Dustin, here's my review and some of the pictures that I just posted on FB about the Supra SC450. Unfortunately, I didn't get to wakeboard behind it because of the choppy conditions.

"When Shane Stillman told me that he was bringing Supra’s new SC450 to Salt Lake City for Marine Products customers to demo, I jumped at his invitation to try her out. Back in May, I got the opportunity to demo the SA550, so I was eager to see how the SC measured up. Unlike the SA, I had never seen the boat in person prior to the demo. I only saw pictures and videos that were posted online, so I didn’t have an accurate idea on what to expect.

My first impression when I stood on the swim platform was that this boat was huge! After I got in and sat in the passenger seat, I asked Shane, “is this a 23 or 24 footer”? I was astounded, and seriously thought he was lying when he said it was only 21.8ft long. The cockpit sits several inches deeper than the SA and is extremely comfortable from any position you sit in. The SC has many of the same interior features that the SA has (vinyl quality & construction, electric E-boost drivers seat, Vision Touch system dashboard with manual switches for redundancy, snap out carpets, tower, etc) but the SC also has some unique features as well. For instance, it has the custom SeaDek Non-Skid padding on the top of the gunwales for a safer entry into the boat. It also has a removable jump seat between the driver and passenger seat to allow for multiple seating configurations. The biggest difference, however, is the bow shape. The SC has a traditional bow, but its unique shape was designed to push water out and away from the boat. This made it virtually impossible to take water over the bow. As I sat up front, Marine Products owner, Randy Casper tried repeatedly to dunk the bow into rollers and couldn’t get me wet. The bow is shorter in length, but is very spacious for 2-3 adults. It is also deep like the cockpit area, which makes it much safer when children are sitting up front.

The drive of the boat was powerful but smooth, just like the SA. During turns, even at speed, there was no cavitations or prop slipping. Again, I was impressed with the feeling of the driver’s area. The comfort level is extremely high for the driver due to no visual obstructions by the windshield line and anatomical designs of the dash and throttle area.

Due to high winds, the water conditions weren’t conducive for wakeboarding, but we did get the chance to surf. Shane explained that the hull on the SC is the same as the SA from the windshield to the stern, so it would produce the same wake as the SA. That got me anxious since I didn’t get to wake surf behind the SA back in May. I was very impressed that with just the rear corner tank and flex bag completely filled, along with the center tank at 50%, the surf wake was fun. Normally, I would have to fill an additional large ballast bag on either side of the boat but that wasn’t necessary. With the smart plate at 50%, the wake was steeper, which I preferred. At 100%, the wake was mellower but longer, which allowed you to get further back on the wake. The SC’s wake was so solid that even when we crossed over a Moomba Mojo’s surf wake, you barely noticed any change in the SC wake, allowing the rider to surf on without any disturbance.

After spending the day on the SC, it’s quite clear that this boat was designed to do it all, and do it well. If you have any questions on the SC, please contact Randy Casper at Marine Products at 801-973-4017."
Attached Images

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-07-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Glen, thanx for the heads up on the marina conditions at Willard. We pushed off and waded in/out in the South marina, Ive been hearing alot of people dingin props at the ramp. Water is about 6-9 out to the west wall than 10-12 along the wall (according to mine)
Old     (dannic03)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-09-2013, 1:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Hello all, I moved to the US about 10 months ago and after surviving a SLC winter (at home the coldest it gets is about 30F) I bought a VLX and was ready to ride. Unfortunately my anticipated regular crew have turned out to be quite a bit less than regular. If anyone is interested in coming out or is looking for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th..... l am definitely interested.
Hey Scott - just searching around on the forums looking for any other riders who wakeboard up near the Park City area. We moved out here late Summer last year so haven't bothered looking for other riders etc. Anyone else you know ride up here near Park City?

I'll send you a PM with my details and let me know if you need a 3rd to go out riding. I dislocated my shoulder a few weeks back so can't do much but am happy to be a spotter, rope b*tch or boat washer I use to run the RMIT University waterski/wakeboarding club back in Melbourne over 13 years ago...was a lot of fun teaches you some good fundamentals of running a boat.

Cheers, Dan
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-18-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
Update on Willard's water levels - DNR officially put up a Launch at your own risk sign at the South Marina. The person who parks the trailer will definitely have to swim to the boat because both docks are on shore now and any inboard won't be able to get within 20ft of them. If you stay in the middle of the marina and the channel on the way out to the main lake, you'll be fine. Stay far away from the Southeast wall if you're heading to the South wall because it's really shallow up to a few hundred yards off shore. Lots of bugs today, probably the most I've seen since spring time. Water temps are still in the low 70's.

I haven't been to the North marina yet but I would assume that they're the same conditions as back in 07. Docks are also not in the water so you have to pick up/drop off from shore.
Old     (kent_harmon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-19-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
COme on up to logan guys!
Old     (Aussie)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-23-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
Hey Dan, one of the guys I know from work rides up at Deer Creek i ride up at Willard most Sunday's. Yep those Uni crews are fun, my mates ran the one in the Gong.

Hope the shoulder is better, will see what the weather does but might ride Sunday if you are up for it, Willard is about an hour from north salt lake.

PM me your details through is always good to catch up with other Aussies
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-25-2013, 6:34 AM Reply   
hey guys, i'm moving back to the area in either october or november...anyone going to still have their boat in the water? let's shred!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-25-2013, 5:54 PM Reply   
Good to hear Mike! Unfortunately, I will be putting my boat away in mid Sept before I start traveling. I'm getting new vinyl put in, especially since after last night hail storm which amazingly shredded my engine compartment. Keep us posted on your move back when it gets closer.
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-25-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
that's crazy, especially for this time of year! sorry to hear that shima also sad that we will have to wait until next spring to ride together, but i'm looking forward to it already! i'll keep you posted on the move!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-26-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
Mike, maybe we'll still get to ride together, but it probably will be on someone elses boat. BTW, is Mimi coming with you this time?
Old     (rosenbergmike)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-26-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
sweet, i hope so! mimi will probably be coming, but she is also trying to find a job in LA doing anything with film, so if she lucks out there she won't be. but it's tough to get a gig out there so you will probably be seeing her too she did a lipslide the other day!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-26-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
That's awesome to hear!
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-09-2013, 2:29 PM Reply   
Hey Utah riders,
we are headed to bullfrog next week. the water level reports look like it is pretty low, what are the current launch conditions at bullfrog? planning to go down river with houseboat to escalante then farther, anyone been down recently? or where can i find good current conditions?
thanks
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-11-2013, 7:25 PM Reply   
Sorry TTDucan, I haven't to any part of Powell in over 3 years so I'm not sure what the conditions are like. Best of luck and have a great trip!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-24-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
Ive got a lead on a Storage unit (45' x 14') thats great for 2 boats going nose to nose. $140/month, and located in Ogden. Just passing along the info if any of you are looking at options.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-27-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
Man this weekend wind is a joke... Winter crew can't even get a break when it's cold. TT has the right idea with going to Powell, that's for sure.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-28-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Matt, but I was able to get indoor storage this year through a friend at a location nearby.

Josh, ain't no joke huh? And the weather is only suppose to get worse from what I hear. Is there anywhere that's even still launchable in the valley?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-28-2013, 8:39 PM Reply   
Shima ~ Not sure about in the valley but the mountain lakes are still ok. Took a bike ride passed East Canyon yesterday and Holy **** is the lowest I have seen a lake. Looks like a whole different body of water... Come on weather and pound us and lets get our water reserve back up.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-17-2014, 4:39 PM Reply   
Willard is breaking up
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-17-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
Matt ~Now the water depth! Will it last?
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-18-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
I hope so bud. The current snowpack for Northern Utah is looking good for the most part. Hopefully its enough to fill it and keep it full thru summer. Now If we can just keep Chevron pipeline from spewing diesel in Willard again so we can actually use it for a whole season.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-21-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
Is it time to start version 22 of this thread for the 2014 season? I think so! Doing it )