Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2014, 1:53 PM Reply   
Have a buddy who asked me my opinion on swapping from his Pro 80's (powered by Syn 4) to the Rev 10

He asked my if I thought the sound upgrade was worth 600 bucks at rope length. I really didn't have an answer. I know hands down near field for sure, but he never floats or is rocking the stereo sitting still. His boat only runs the stereo while riding. So do you all think it's worth the upgrade and he will get 600 bucks more of sound at the end of the rope with an up to a Rev 10?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-08-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
No question about it. I ran rev 8's and they are plenty loud at rope length. Rode a few times with a guy who had 2 pro80's and 2 pro60's last year and not nearly the projection at the end of the line. IMO. We are not stereo snobs by any means, but the difference was plenty noticeable, IMO. Pretty much Night and day to me.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2014, 6:53 PM Reply   
My buddy just sold his pair of pro80s and pair of pro60s and went with one pair of rev10s. Much cleaner at riding distance.

Sent from my phablet using Tapatalk
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-08-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
I agree with you xstarrider, near field absolutely, at 80' I can't tell.
My pro 80's were insanely loud, I rarely turned them up. They were harsh inside the boat. With my rev 10's I rarely turn them down, they are much warmer inside the boat. But again I don't think they are any louder. I know I went from 8" to 10" and that's supposed to not even put them in the same league according to some but I can't tell. Even my friends couldn't tell when I did my pull away from the beach all the way across the lake test. (At least they weren't any more impressed then what they were by my 80's)
IMO it would come down to in boat experience and looks. Not sure if he upgraded the plastic grill to stainless on the 80's but I like the larger stainless grill on my 10's more (the plastic grill deteriorated fast on me).
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
If im reading it correctly, the amplifier power will stay the same. If so, then wake range volume between the Pro-80 and Rev-10 will be small. But, you will gain some sound quality both at wake range and most definitely, near-fields.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-09-2014, 7:23 AM Reply   
Ok, even running the same Syn4, YES, you will notice a difference in sound throw and sound quality… with the Pro80's your maxing the power they can handle and when warm can sound muddy after a few minutes at high volume. The Rev 10 can handle the 400 watts with ease and exceed that rating on peaks and Dynamics alone. This speaker also has REV tech which makes the sound at the end of the rope seem less projected... Then add a bit more surface area to the mix…. I think it will be noticeable. worth it? only the consumer can decide that….
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-09-2014, 7:31 AM Reply   
All comparisons have to assume that both speakers are optimumly powered.
The Wetsounds Pro80s are flat out loud. They are also unbridaled with an erratic response. At that time the goal was somewhat singular....max output at wake range. The Rev10 by comparison is tamed with a smoother response. They've done this without a loss of output having more cone surface area to work with. So you are comparing the peak output of a Pro80 to the average output of a Rev10. Based on that, at wake range in the face of considerable exhaust noise, the two have similar outputs. But that is where the comparison ends. Under every other listening situation the Rev10 is the top HLCD by a country mile (with the exception of a pair of Rev410s).
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-09-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
All I have to say is listen to the two at wakeboard range like I have being pulled… Power is a glimpse into how a speaker sounds and reacts in any environment, there are many variables.. I have replaced pro80's with Rev10's and am NOT making assumptions on output @ wake range… sorry man…. paper specs and a computer can only take you so far…. the Off axis sound is even more noticeable in the Rev taking cuts to the wake, this alone would make me switch… The sound is completely different from the two speaker set ups, not to mention the equipment (ie. horns and crossovers). NOW, worth $600? thats up to the spender….

Last edited by Truekaotik; 03-09-2014 at 8:23 AM.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-09-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
Just to add to my opinion and comparison of both speakers I had the pair of 80's on a JL hd600/4 and the pair of 10's on a JL hd750/1.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-10-2014, 3:57 AM Reply   
Yes
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-10-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
Worth every penny!