Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-29-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
Ok So noticed my title was wong...was in my buddie's boat all day with an LT1 I actually have the LTR engine.....Sorry

So latley I have been having some issues witha hot start after a set or 2. I turn off the boat to swap riders and the next start tends to be a little rough. Have to juice the throttle a little a little to get it going.Runs smooth and starts instantly on cold, but the hot start issue came about last year before winterization so just not sure what's going on.

Like I said runs great and purrs, but just a couple hot start times it needs some juice. Anyone with some insight could shoot some things my way.

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-29-2010 at 8:36 PM. Reason: Title update
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2010, 6:01 AM Reply   
Fuel pump might be about to hit the bed. It could also simply be it's hot, and it's been sitting without any water cooling it for a minute, maybe just don't turn it off.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
Vapor lock? Was it hot out? If you let it sit for 20 - 30 min., does it start & run like there was never a problem?

Crazy it's showing up in newer EFI engines more & more.

- Run the blower a lot.
- If your buying gas with ethanol in it, or using gas the boat was stored over the winter with, run a gas treatment like Stabil or SeaFoam in it.
- If it happens again, open your engine cover for 10 - 15 min. Now what?
- Tune it up.... ignition components mainly.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-01-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Yup when it sits for 15min or so 0 problems. Also the same on a cold start after a few days on the lift......Flawless start

It was 90degrees out and yes usually happens on hot days

Have to run ethanol gas. Only thing available

Boat has been through 3 tanks of gas already this year.

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-01-2010 at 8:15 PM.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Sounds like vapor lock.

The guys at skidim.com had a kit I used on my old 205. It was just a fuel line insulation kit.... cost like $10 or $15. It kept the engine's heat from vaporizing the gas inside the fuel lines that are right over the intake & down the side of the engine. Definitely worth a phone call to see what they suggest.

Meanwhile, run the blower a lot. Put some fuel treatment in your gas. Probably worth checking your fuel pressure under various situations to see if the fuel pump is failing at all.

Good luck.
Old    brentmilkey            06-03-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I had the same problem last summer. Boat would start great when cold. After it was warm and we cut the motor it was a disaster to restart. I started with fuel filter, ignition etc. but the problem never went away until I replaced the starter. No more problems at all. I talked to the local marina and the mechanic told me sometimes when the starters start going bad they "seize" up after there warm.
Old     (xxxChrisBxxx)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-06-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Try insulating your fuel lines before you drop money on a secondary pump. Also treat the gas with STA-BIL Marine... Worked for me...