Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    natter            08-26-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
need help every time i try to land in the flats i land real hard and i my knees buckle and i crash. im riding with 70' rope length at about 22 mph and landing about 10' in the flats. when i land im bending my knees alot but it dont help.
Old     (wakeheshin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-26-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
Try giving yourself a longer rope, about a 80' that means that the boat speed will have to be a little faster so the wake can be clean. About your knees buckling, you need to bend them when you land to absorb the effect of the board when it slaps the water then stand back up. Just balancing yourself is the key. You can do it. Lengthing the rope may help you so you land on the downside of the wake, then as you progress you can start going bigger to land in the flats. But I would try a faster boat speed. That could be why you are falling....
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-26-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
Land on edge and maintain your momentum into the flats. When you land flat on your board, not only is there greater impact, but you also decelerate very quickly, so your knees buckle and you go out the front. Changing rope length, speed, ect isn't going to help a thing if you are still landing flat on your board.
Old    natter            08-26-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
thanks, i was thinking if i up the speed i wouldnt have to make such a hard cut into the wake and maybe land more smoothly. if that makes sense
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
I switched to a bigger board. It helped smooth out my big landings. What are you riding?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-26-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
Smaller boards decelerate faster on landings.
Old    natter            08-26-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
im riding the parks 143 with the 2003 byerly bindings
Old    norcal_99            08-26-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
What Matt said.

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-26-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
I noticed that switching to a bigger board, especially one with an abrupt three stage rocker helped me. For a while I had the same problem as you. But ultimately I think what helped me was just getting my body and muscles conditioned to take those hard landings.