Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-24-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
I will try to keep ths short.
My buddy brought out a 142 ONE today and everybody one the boat got to try it.
All I can say is SWEEEEET!!!
Now I am no pro or even close to it, but this board was super fun to ride and had great pop, nice smooth transition, especiialy for a 3 stage abrupt rocker type board.
I use to ride a 04 Parks and wen to a 06 Watson cause I was sick of the hard landings and sometimes unpredictability of the Parks board.
The ONE boards seemed to be able to incorpoarte both of what I liked and wanted.
Great pop(more than the Watson) and much smoother than the Parks.
Landings were alot smoother than I expected, especially after first seeing the board on the boat, before riding it.
The only thing I persoally would change is it had 1.0 fins and I like a looser feel, so I would have liked to try it with some .7 or .8's.
Other than that I had alot of fun and am very impressed all the way around.
O yea, one really nice feature are the heel and toeside edges are rounded, where you would grab the board, feels great when your going for the grabs. Nice on the hands.
I am excited to try some of there other boards, especially the Covenant.
Time will only tell I guess.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
how does it compare to a premier? and ive heard rumors that it is REDICULOUSLY light. is this true???
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-24-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Kevin, anything is light compared to a Premier :-)
Old    skeezyrida            09-24-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
any board is light compared to a hyperlite.....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-24-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
i thought the ronix one had a subtle 3-stage rocker?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       09-24-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
I knew that I should have gone to the lake with you guys today!! Oh well, I'm sure your 'buddy' will let me borrow it sometime soon.

-Steve
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       09-25-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
Kevin,

Are you thinking about making another switch? Sounds like a pretty nice board... I'm anxious to give it, and the covenant, a try. Do you think your friend would hook me up with a "here, take her for a ride?"

-Blake
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-25-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
Maybe it is a subtle 3stage rocker, but it looks like a abrupt to me and felt like one too, except for the landings were alot smoother. I would have to ask I guess.
Said "buddy" I am sure will hook you up Steve and Blake.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
so im told about the premier being heavy, it just fits my riding style. Im seriously considering switchin over though, this is my 3rd hyperlite board do to them cracking and this is my 5th pair of hyperlite boots due to them ripping! Did you get to ride the Ronix boots? if so how is the workmanship on them?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-25-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Pop is 90% rider. Maybe more.
Landings as well. Actually, board shapes don't change the performance nearly as much as you all think. Isn't it funny that one guy will say, Man, that Marius is soooo slow, then another will say it's the fastest board ever. Then one will say, the 3DS lands butter soft while another says it is hard as hell.
It's all marketing.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-25-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Magellan, I agree with you that marketing plays a big part of getting you into a board, but once you ride it how does marketing play a role? I have an old Watson Helix. I loved it. Then I got a 3DS and now look at that Helix like it was a 2-ton tank plowing through the water. My Helix popped me off the wake, sometimes uncontrollably. My 3DS just rides up it. I may get less height, but I stay out of the water more. Those are tangible differences, for me, between two boards...and I'm the same rider.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-25-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
I suppose the advancements in golf balls and golf clubs don't help either? I agree you have to have a certain level of skill to really tell the difference board to board, but, assuming your technique is good, the right board will help you significantly. As good as Tiger Woods is, I'm pretty sure he couldn't shoot a 63 on a 7000 yard course using clubs from the 70's. Just like I think the One has helped Harf progress even faster than we're used to seeing, and he probably wouldn't have landed the 1080 (not yet atleast) without it. Obviously, he can still rip with anything under his feet--and talent and fundamentals are far more important than board choice--but you need a board that's just right for you to really maximize your ability.

Anyone know if Ronix has any openings in their advertising department?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-25-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
"Pop is 90% rider. Maybe more.
Landings as well. Actually, board shapes don't change the performance nearly as much as you all think. Isn't it funny that one guy will say, Man, that Marius is soooo slow, then another will say it's the fastest board ever. Then one will say, the 3DS lands butter soft while another says it is hard as hell.
It's all marketing."

That is what I have been trying to say for years.
However, you have to realize that half the people here can't even jump the wakes. (not aimed at anyone in particular)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
Wow!!!

" he probably wouldn't have landed the 1080 (not yet atleast) without it"!!!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-25-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
I stand by it. Would he have landed it eventually regardless? Of course. But I don't think he would have by September 6, 2006 (it would have taken him ATLEAST another day or two :-)). With a trick like a 1080, where the most important thing is how fast you can spin, you can't tell me 5 lbs. less attached to your feet wouldn't make a difference, however slight it may be. Mere inches determine whether or not you land something like that. I'd even go as far as to say Parks may not have landed his 1080 had he been wearing a vest, thus increasing his handle-pass time by fractions of a second. And no, I have no intention of going out and buying a Ronix board because Danny Harf landed a 1080 on one. I know for a fact the One won't make me a better rider--atleast not noticeably--but when you're at the top of your game like Harf is, you know what equipment is best suited for you and how to maximize its potential.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
im a PR major, i KNOW marketing. Have to give them props on taking the secretive approach. However when youve been screwed by the same company they supposedly got screwed by (and i dont know the whole story just what ive been told) you kinda wanna jump ship and go to a small underdog company so they will take care of you. I use to be hard core into Neptune because they took care of their customers and stood by their products.And i think we all know they were the underdogs against hype. Switching to hyperlite is something im starting to regret.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-25-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
I think the 1080 is just a big mental game. Harf has been riding so long that he finally beat the game. I bet he can do 3 or 4 different types of 1080s on the trampoline. It was just a matter of time before he landed one on the water.
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       09-28-2006, 12:31 AM Reply   
I think it's crazy that everyone loves the Ronix One because of Danny and his 1080.
Rusty has also a sick setup, J-star Empire and de 3DS (correct me if i'm wrong) Why don't we adore Rusty's board?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-28-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
The 1080 had no relation to how I felt about the board.
I liked the way it rode.
No 1080 influence here.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-28-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
i love rustys board...but then i rode a ronix covin...its over
Old     (robin_holland)      Join Date: May 2006       09-28-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
are you serious, tell me why?
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-28-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
the covin is a simple shape with a rail design similar to the j-star empire(rustys deck) and the boards overall profile is thinner than a hype/jstar...pops nice,lands soft/fast,bites on edge, breaks free when you want(.7s fins)...legit...nice job ronix

(Message edited by deltawakerider on September 28, 2006)
Old     (offspringz28)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-28-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
lol you guys are rediculous
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-28-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
I need a 99' FM Quest!! Anyone know where I can get one?? That was the board the first ever 1080 was landed on!! I want to start ridin it so I can do a 1080!!!!!

(Message edited by bigpapaf1f on September 28, 2006)
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-28-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Chris.. My sentiments exactly.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-02-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
actually the first 1080 was landed on a CWB by Mark Kenney....just no photos or videos.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-02-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
lol at offspringmulletz28.

I'm riding a three year old set-up (an Absolute with Parks boots) so I don't get into the new gear hype every year, but I tried on the Ronix boot the other day and it was damn comfy and light. Boots have come a long way even in the last three years.