Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                06-02-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
im doing some wakeboarding videotaping this summer for the 1st time and am looking for some helpful tips & techniques to use while shooting. am using a canon XL1. thanks.
Old                06-02-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
howd u come up with that camera if its ur first time? I would suggest gettin extra battereies and more dv tapes. Make sure u are focusing in on the boarder as he goes through the water not behind or in front of him. Also make the camera as stable as possible, nothign ruins a good film like shaking.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
1) Keep the Camera Steady: For land shots I use a tripod and for tube/tow/chase shots I use both hands about 90% of the time.

2) Smooth Pans: Keep your pans smooth as possible. You have to learn to anticipate the riders movement and don't jerk the camera around.

3) Framing: This varies depending on the shot be it land, slider, tube, chase, or tow boat. Be creative and experiment. As long as you don't miss the trick then you should have something you can work with...

4) Good Lighting: If the light is in the rider's eyes then you're driving in the right direction. There's nothing worse than filming into the sun as your rider will be just a dark figure.

5) Misc: a) Bring extra batteries. b) Bring extra tapes c) Only use a lens cloth when cleaning your lens and always make sure you lens is clean and free from lint...

6) Start/Stop: What to film? Depending on the level of riding you're filming you can burn through a LOT of tape if you record every rider getting up and straight through their entire run. Use discretion.... Unless it's the person's first time then I wouldn't even bother taping them getting up. Also most beginners take more time between jumps so don't start recording until the rider is making their outside cut and then stop about 2 seconds after they land their jump. It makes it easier to watch and easier to edit.

7) Practice: After a day of filming review your work on a TV set. This will allow you to critique your own work while it's still fresh in your mind and you can correct your mistake for the next time you're out filming.

8) Insurance: Make sure you contact your home owners/renters insurance policy carrier and tell them you want to schedule your camera equipment separately. This will cover accidental loss like dropping it in the water. I pay $16/yr per $1000 value of equipment. (e.g. $3000 is $48/yr) Otherwise your equipment is only covered if it is stolen....

Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-02-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
i am planning on getting that camcorder this summer when i get the money, i am wondering the same thing as nick, why did you go w/ such an expensive camera to start with.
Old                06-03-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
i mean even the GL2 is a very good camera to start with. I have a small single ccd small hand held and learned from that. It really helps u leanr the basics. And def go for the insurance
Old                06-03-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
WOW! thanks for all of the tips, ya'll

im an experienced videographer, got my degree in electronic media, been shooting stuff for about 7 years now. am new to wakeboarding, though. have never done any wakeboarding shooting and was looking for any tips. thanks again everyone who chimmed in.