Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (booth_k)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Just wondering if any ones boat has ever been struck before. The storms have been insane in co this year and have to rush off the lake when they come
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
My first boat was struck by lightning - previous owner, not me. He spent some time in the ICU and fully recovered. The good thing for the boat was it got all new electronics before I bought it care of insurance.

Lightning is a real danger on the water.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Yeah it's best to get on dock when you even hear thunder or see lightning. If you have a wakeboat, the tower is a lightning rod for sure.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-18-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
buy a sail boat! the keel sends the energy from lightning into the water and youll be fine! or just head to the dock..
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-19-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
We got stuck in a lightning storm last week. Hit something with the prop while trying to outrun it at first, so we couldn't go very fast and it took about 15-20 minutes to get home. It was very scary with lightning all around us (really close) and driving by GPS since it was so dark, with big waves throwing us around. In retrospect, we should have turned around in the beginning (which would have meant heading back into the storm) and docked at a public ramp, but I didn't think of it at the time, thinking we had more time than we did since the storm was moving so fast.

From now on, any sign of lightning even in the distance, and I'm getting off the water fast.
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-20-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
No, but I have been too close for comfort. We got caught in one last year and were using our phones for the weather radar. Well that was all good until the storm switched directions in a 4 minute span (radar updates every 4 minutes). So instead of heading to the dock away from the storm we headed straight into it. We actually got scared and finally stopped in the middle of the lake to try and figure out what was going on and about a 100 yards in front of us we heard the snap, crackle, and pop and then we saw the lightning hit the water. It was so close and violent that you could actually see the water ripple. It was truly amazing, but one of the scariest things I have ever seen. I'm with John, now we don't even think about the lake if a storm is closer than 100 miles and if we see sky's getting dark, we move real quick.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-20-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
I posted this question once a few years ago after being in a lightning storm. There are incredibly few actual recorded events of lightning striking wakeboats. I would think we would hear of it all the time if it happened.

Unless it killed me, you guys would definitely hear about it!

The tower seems like a perfect setup for lightning, but I think it is not as strong of a rod as one would expect, since it is then attached to glass.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/349590.html
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-21-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
rugdr - wow , I don't think I could step foot in a boat again.
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-22-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
It does make you think about going out with just a chance of a thunderstorm...especially if the kids want to go.