Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-16-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hey all-

I need to upgrade my alternator for my upcoming stereo system. I emailed Ron at dbelectrical.com (he came highly recommended by folks on this forum) and he emailed me links to the following 3 alternators.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/400-20004%20marine%20alternator?

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/400-20003%20marine%20alternator?

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/10si-marine%20new%20-140%20amp?

He says these units are delco replacement for mando/prestolite and leece neville alternators. They all will do approximately 150 amps@ cruise and 65-75 amps@ 500 rpm. He told me to look at my alternator and let him know which of these looked like mine. Problem is, I am out of the country right now but I would like to get the alternator ordered now so that I can install it as soon as I return home. Obviously I can't walk out to my boat and take a look at it right now. I have a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV with the 340 Monsoon; does anyone know which of these alternators will fit?

Thanks-
Sam
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
update-

I called Indmar a little bit ago to see if they could tell me which model # alternator they isntalled on these boats, but they couldn't tell me exactly without knowing the engine serial #. They went on further to tell me that if I installed a larger alternator that I would have to upgrade the engine wiring harness, as the existing harness would not be of heavy-enough gauge to tolerate the increased load. He said that Indmar does not make such an upgraded harness, and that I would have to have such a harness custom-made at a reputable alternator/starter/engine shop. He said I most likely had a 70-amp v-belt-driven, AC Delco alternator.

Is it really this complex to add a bigger-output alternator? I am doing this only because I am installing a new stereo with 3 amplifiers (a total of about 1250 watts RMS). It isn't even that big of a stereo system. I know lots of you have added bigger alternators, and I don't recall seeing anything about needing to upgrade the engine wiring. What is the deal?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-17-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
IMO, don't even hassle with the upgrade alternator right now. Keep your batteries charged while in storage and you should be fine.

I knwo people thqt haev had good luck with his 140 amp alt's. I have had terrible luck with them. I've had two and both fried after only a few months. After that I've been sticking with the 90-105 amps. My local alt guy pulled open one of thsoe 140 amp alts and literally laughed at me....he said what did you think you were going to get for $140.