Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-16-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
SO my friend just learned how to consistently clear the wake a little while ago but doesnt get much pop and doesnt do any grabs yet or any other tricks. He started trying tantrums a few days ago and has now tried about 25 times and almost has it. Its weird cuz he gets much more air doing a tantrum then w2w. Anyways he lands in the flats and is getting the full rotation so he should be landing it soon. Is it normal for someone to be throwing inverts with out having any of the basics, is this a common thing, i know i didnt even try a tantrum till i had perfect w2w, grabs, 180 etc.
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
Sure you can start trying inverts such as the tantrum but I wouldn't advise that. You should have all the basics down, a good progressive edge on both heel and toeside, some 180's, and a ton of board control before you even begin to try inverts. Going upside down is cool but basic fundamentals will help you progress that much faster. Ride switch....you will be thankful you did later on!!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2006, 11:15 PM Reply   
ya..i got a buddy that can go wake to wake but that is it but he can land backrolls..kinda sketch but he lands them

stick to the basics and work your way up...but sounds like he doesnt much care about wakeboarding and in it more for the cool factor
Old    murrayair            08-16-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
Yeah, deffinately get a solid foundation before you start trying more advanced stuff. I know a few people who can do an invert but can barely jump the wake. They think it makes them look really cool, but all it does is expose them for who they truly are, posers only concerned with how the rest of the world views them.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
You dont need to call him a poser... Hes just tryin to have some fun out there.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Yeah except that not having the basics will catch up with him and also get him wrecked if he ventures into other inverts. Also seeig an tantrum thrown over and over without any style or other tricks will get really...old.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
"but sounds like he doesnt much care about wakeboarding and in it more for the cool factor"

"but all it does is expose them for who they truly are, posers only concerned with how the rest of the world views them."

Huh? Are we jealous or something? If somebody wants to do an invert then what's the big deal? It's their body they're punishing if they don't have the basics down. Barely going W2W may not be the best place to start trying inverts but if that's what they're interested in, then that's what they want to do. I just don't see how you can call them a "poser" when they're put the time and effort into learning a trick they want to perform. I also don't see how someone who doesn't care about wakeoarding would go through the punishment of learning inverts. If they look cooler than you do to outsiders then that's your problem, not theirs.

Back to the original question, no it's not common but it does happen.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Who gives a f^#@ if you think he looks like a poser or not, someone with the BALLS to try inverts without the basics down sounds like someone that is not afraid to try anything out there. That sounds like FUN to me....Eventually , the basics will catch up for him to progress, if not then he'll get stuck, let him worry about that.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-17-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
We'll I'm going out now lets see if he lands it. While I don't think hes a poser for trying it i think if he were to land it and then just do that everytime to look cool he kind of would be. BUt he's really into wakeboarding (thanks to me lol) and is really progressing. I'll just make sure that after he lands it he starts getting some of the foundations. And you guys gotta admit inverts get mad CHICKS!
Old     (cole_souers)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
just different ways to progress, i learned a tantrum before even trying anything but grabs, and it was easier and more natural than 180 or 360's or anything. "poser"? thats kindof cold to call someone who is trying to learn new stuff a "poser".
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
I'd love to be able to do advance stuff before getting the basics down. Not advised, but shows talents and balls. I'm perfecting one piece at a time through frustration.

I'm sure he'll hit a point where he realizes the basics will help him achieve certain goals. But I'll give him props for what he can do and what he's trying.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
Yeah man, I hang out with some pretty odd guys that will come down and try waterboarding for the first time and try some kind of invert the second time they get up. Sure, they get about 1/4 around, but it's sweet to see them throw something so those in the boat have something to see. They say, "That waterboarding if fun, but it can hurt too."

Oh yeah, original question: I had a backroll down right after my w2w which was cool, but I had to learn it all over again once I found out about that progressive edge thingy that makes everything more fun. Skibody Bop!
Old     (dfxr58)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-17-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
i could see calling someone out trying to do a backroll or something before they have a solid progressive edge, but you dont need one for the tantrum based tricks. no, he cant progress his tantrum until he learns grabs, 180s, and 3s. i only have a hs w2w and i am trying a tantrum. i get tired of crashing on ts w2w's. trying something new breaks up the monotony.
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
there are two types of people; those that can and those that can't, those that can, do tantrums, those that can't, work on the basics

j/k
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
I'm with the 'who says I should learn tricks in a certain order' brigade. It's all about getting out there and having fun, not having to do things because XYZ DVD says that they should be doing that.

I can only go W2W (with an occasional grab but no other tricks) and yes, I have tried inverts. Cos they look like fun, and I reckon it would be a great feeling to land one. Miles away from landing one though
Old    The Original            08-17-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
I'm sure there are many ppl on this site that think they have the basics when in reality they are far far from it! I have been riding a board a lot longer then most and I still need help on a few things!

Many of the older pro's, the early pioneers in the sport have water-ski/Trick-ski backgrounds. Why is Parks such a good all around rider? My guess would be a great sense of balance and the fact that he had a solid waterskiing background.

Manny, as long as your all having fun then great. Take the opportunity to learn from each other and build from there. Maybe you can start doing 3's and work off of your friends energy! Good luck man!