Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    natter            07-25-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
I hyperextended my right knee which is my back knee {regular footed}. Was thinking about a knee brace. Couple of ques. Do you get one for both knees? How much do they help? Any sugg. On what type?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
my buddy just got the one that Parks wears,it was really expensive but he said it works great.
Old    painterdrew            07-27-2004, 4:27 PM Reply   
Check out the DonJoy Armor. http://www.donjoyarmor.com/index.asp
Great brace for sports. Good blowout protection. I have one for my right leg. I ride goofy. It works very well. I streched my LCL 1.5 wks ago. Im not wakeboarding yet but I am back wakesurfing with the brace. I paid about 450
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-27-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
torn my left ACL while wakeboarding and been riding with a DonJoy brace since the beginning of summer... I have been snowboarding with it before knee surgery and it didn't provide the support of an ACL... I wear it as a protective device for now just in case my knee isn't strong enough for hard impacts and hope to get rid of it soon enough... a brace might help but never will replace a healthy knee...
so my advice is, if you've been injured, get it fixed and don't rely on braces for the rest of your life...
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
I just had my ACL replaced a month ago, and was wearing a Townsend brace (about 600 bucks) when I blew it out. Needless to say I was a little disappointed when it happened, as I was wearing it to help prevent a knee injury. Looking forward to starting rehab later this week...can't stand not riding in the middle of the damn summer. I have been looking into several different companies that make braces. A friend of mine tore his ACL and the doctors gave him a Donjoy. That thing was ALWAYS sliding down his leg. I think that a lot of the pros use a brace made by CTi2. Emailed them and waiting reply. My doctor told me that my knee would as strong if not stronger than prior to the injury. We'll just have to see. www.westsidewakeboard.com
Old    painterdrew            07-27-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
Your correct about not relying on the brace forever. Im doin PT for the knee and its going well. Doc says I dont need surgery. I should be at full strength long before the snow comes. I hope to be back to wakeboarding soon. Will have to see how it goes.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
Brandon ~ The company is Innovation Sports http://www.isports.com. The CTi2 is the custom brace they make. I just hurt my knee and was looking at all the braces. I paid $650.00 for my brace and it was custom made to my leg. On top of that the sales rep Ed Montes hooked me up on all kinds of extras. I used the brace for the first time last weekend and I couldn't be more happy with it. Well worth the money.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
Bug--what did you do to your knee? Is there a particular model that you bought? Townsend is a good brace but I am really skeptical of getting another since I blew it out. Does it slide at all? Sorry for all the questions, but its getting close to decision time. www.westsidewakeboard.com
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       07-28-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Brandon the model is the CTi2, I believe.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       07-28-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
You also don't want to buy the brace until you have been in PT for awhile to build the leg muscles back up. If it is a custom brace and you get it after your leg has atrophied, then it my not fit when you build it back up.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Brandon ~ I am new at wakeboarding but I have been snowboarding for a while. I hurt my knee on a 180 reaching for the landing.

There are many models of the CTi2 brace. It will depend on what you will be doing with it (snowboarding, motocross). I bought the VAPOR Sport (new model). When i said all the extras, i ment it. I got all different kind of pads (gel, neoprene, etc..) Also the sale rep through in a patella cup. This coves the knee cap for protection. In regards to slipping down. They also gave me this strap that goes around your leg and velcros to the brace (i didn't need to use this strap last weekend). Also the gel pads hold to the skin very well.

Where are you located in Cali? I have the sale rep number for Southern Cali if you need it. He will drive to you and you can check out all the braces. Hope this helps.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Sean ~ This company will make you a new brace if your leg changes size in 1 year. But great point.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
do they have a web site?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Bug-- i'm in Bakersfield. I checked out the website in detail, and was thinking that the Vapor Sport would be best. I snowboard some, but mostly wakeboard, even in winter. I am thinking that insurance would cover it, since its post op, at least I hope. If you can pass on his number that would be cool. www.westsidewakeboard.com
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
Robert ~ http://www.isports.com

Brandon ~ I don't know if he covers your area but, his name is Ed Montes and he is at 1-800-222-4284 ext. 370, or 714-336-3116 (cell). Tell him Anthony Sent you.