Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-23-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
I have been searching for tower speakers that can be heard clearly behind the boat. What I have found so far seems to cost minimum 2,000 with the cost of amplifiers, speakers, and other accessories. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing a more affordable option before I spent the money. Thanks
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-23-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Nope, you're not missing anything. Good, clear sound at wakeboarding length cost money. Surfing only, then costs come down.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-23-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
HLCD speakers are the key. HUGE HUGE difference over co-ax style car speakers. I think you could get a couple Bullet Hollow Point 7.7" HLCDs and a Decent amp and wire for around $1200. Not quite Wetsounds, but a night and day over Polk Audio Co-ax's.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-23-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Wetsounds has a good deal going on white pro 80's for $699. 1 pair will easily reach wake range.
http://wetsounds.com/pages/products/PRO80.html

Sonicelectronix has some good deals on amps for black friday. Heres a couple that would work for a pair of pro 80s and keep you under $1000 for speakers and amp. You have a ton of different choices with amps, most people are running one pair of HLCD speakers with either a 2 channel amp, or a 4 channel amp bridged. So if you decide to go with the pro 80's you will want to look for an amp that will give the speakers around 200w a piece but anywhere from 175-300w would be fine.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-GT-2200.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ch-P400-4.html
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-23-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
check out exile audio

They have a 20% off sale this weekend.

I have a pair of xm9's and you can hear them really clear while riding
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-23-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
Exile XM 9's sound incredible, I have 3 pair on my tower but my buddy has just one pair and it sounds as clear and loud as mine, Just not as full since i have more but for small budget it was a great way to go, and you can always add more!! Here's the link, I would recommend the Harpoon amp to go along with the XM 9's so if you do add more you will be covered!! http://www.exilecaraudio.com/
Old     (wakesetter672010)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-23-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-26-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
Power Corp - Your best affordable option (regardless) brand is going to be picking up some gear in the off season. You have a lot of options. Vince is correct - Exile is running an end of year Holiday sale that can save you an additional 20% off. It doesn't get better than that savings wise.

Hit me up if you need any help with configuration advice / tuning / or just old fashioned help. Most of the time I suggest to start looking at what your current boat stereo is (gear wise) and see if you can re-use some of it in the upgrade process to save a few bucks.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-26-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Luke,
You will find comparable Black Friday/Cyber Monday discounts and values on a number of products and from a number of venders. They may not promote their offerings on WakeWorld but the specials exist none the less. In other words, you are not restricted by brand in the least to get the 'good deal'.
Start with your local vendors and then go the internet route if you don't have a local supplier that can provide a competitive offering or the level of technical support you need.
If you are looking for a bargain, the Wetsounds Pro80s are 30 percent off and the least expensive product that has the authority to project at 80 feet. You'll find nothing larger or less expensive in that range. Plus, they are brand new rather than a re-tread/used/demo product.

David
Earmark Marine Audio
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-26-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
What options do you guys recommend for replacing the stock JL speakers in Mastercraft Pods? My X-30 has 4 speakers and I was thinking of going to HLCD's if there was somthing that would fit.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-26-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
Levi,

There are not too many raw driver HLCD options, but the first that comes to mind is the Bullet Hollowpoint 770.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       11-26-2012, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
What options do you guys recommend for replacing the stock JL speakers in Mastercraft Pods? My X-30 has 4 speakers and I was thinking of going to HLCD's if there was somthing that would fit.
What amps? I had to add power to my '12 X25 to get the JL's to wake up. It's plenty loud now!
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-28-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Good deal right now on 6500.2 kickers. I like mine alot. Paid the same for the refurbs and haven't had a single issue

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

obviously not wetsounds quality but a good option for less $
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-28-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
First thought would be to get them off the factory amplifier and give em more juice if you like them and they just need some more output.. But if your set on replacement and want HLCD sound, then I would sell them in the cans, you'll get way more and have a broader range of people to sell to if they are complete. Also this will allow you to choose the type of HLCD you want easier without having to find ones that fit in old odd cans, all HLCDs are very different from each other... Then pick up new or used HLCDs complete in the brand you heard and like...
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-28-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
If you want a drop-in for the factory MasterCraft/JL Audio 7.7" pods then the latest version of the HollowPoint 770 HLCD is a direct fit. You can use the same 6-hole machine thread pattern. And, the pod MC displacement is a good match for that particular HP 770 speaker.
It's tough to beat the JLs for near field sound quality but the HLCDs will definitely project better. And the HollowPoint 770s are pretty warm/smooth as HLCDs go and clearly an upgrade over 6.5" HLCDs.
A single JL Audio HD750/1 will absolutely drive four JL 770 tower speakers to their full potential and is substantially more than what factory uses. The JLs really deserve that extra power. The same amplifier will do a great job with the HollowPoint 770 HLCDs. Since the MC tower is already wired with 8-conductors, we have also used two stacked and bridged JL Audio XD400/4s. Per PasMag testing, these two amplifiers would collectively deliver four times 280 watts into a 4-ohm load. They're very clean and quiet amplifiers. And you can control both with a single JL Audio level controller.

David
Earmark Marine