Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sskitebabe)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
After riding a blindside five-0 125 with some moon boot bindings for the last 7 years, I finally chose to upgrade to a Ronix One 132 and Ronix Rise boots! Here's my comparison, I'll try to keep it short.

Behind a whaler with the old board, I was pretty much at the max weight limit. I'm 115 and 5'6" and I bought that board back when I weighed more like 90 pounds! The board would edge well (it had 2 inch fins on one side and 1.25 on the other), do surface tricks easily, and I always thought the pop and landings were pretty good. However, my knees would always take a beating on landings and in the chop. A 4 foot jump was the max I could ever get out of it, and the bindings were a beast. They were that old rubber that would rub your ankles raw and cut off circulation in parts of your feet. I've had my toes jam so my foot nearly came of out the other side of the binding. I've also taken a few falls where one foot came out of a binding and the other stayed in. Not nice. But overall, my friends and I had a lot of fun with that board and didn't know what we were missing.

My new setup, a RONIX ONE AND RONIX RISE BINDINGS, has kept me smiling like a kid at Christmas all night long!!!! I tested it out as did a friend who's a beginner. In just a 30 minute session each for us, it took the sport to a new level!

The board is a three stage rocker, and my five-0 was a continuous. The Ronix is definitely way slower in the water, but it is NOT sticky. I had the fins switched from 1 inch to .8" before I had it shipped to me. It is actually more slick on the water than my old board, nice!! I can also hold an edge easier, but with a different technique. Instead of using my knees and leg contortion placement, I can use more hip movement and weight placement, if that makes sense. Basically, it takes so much strain off my knees. Surface tricks are going to be a breeze. Jumping was a bit tricky. I won't lie, I spent a good 20 minutes re-learning how to jump. I'm not sure I got it down either, but on occasion, without full force, I was flying higher than ever (on a wakeboard at least). At one point, I accidentally did half a backroll! WHAT!!! This board is UNREAL! Jumping was pie once you figure out how to do it. My beginner friend who was working on trying to jump the wake with my old board actually started jumping today for the first time. She said it seems was smoother to carve with and that it makes jumping easy. For me, the landings were smooth, not sticky, and EASY on the knees. Overall, this board feels like butter through the water as well as landing jumps! The jump height is unreal, although I would agree that the board jumps more height and less distance.

The bindings are great. I posted earlier about how much the toes should touch. Thanks for everyone's advice by the way! My toes were touching the edges, which is normal. In the water, they were a perfect fit! With the cinch straps, I couldn't believe how well they hold my feet. They are still a pain to tighten, and I couldn't get the straps to easily pull down and stay tight. However, there was no rubbing, no losing feeling in my feet, and super comfort just like a hiking boot (I won't say snowboard boot because my current pair sucks)!!

The board and boots have a learning curve for me, but I couldn't be more pleased! If you can, I recommend anybody to try out the Ronix One!! I'll post more and some pics after I get used to the new setup!

BTW, I have to mention that the setup has killer looks;) Oh, and as far as everyone's concerns about this board, people are saying its heavier than other girl boards and its sticky in the water. With .8" fins, its not sticky, and the weight isn't a burden even if its a bit more than other boards on the market. Try it out. If you can get used to the different ride, you'll probably get hooked;)