Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-20-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
I'm new to wakesurfing, but find that since I got this new X2, we tend to surf more than anything else. I picked up an 04' Liquid Force Skimskate and learned on that. I look online at all the different boards that are offered, but one thing the manufacturers seem to omit from their marketing is which boards in their lineups are best for what. For example, Inland list the Blue Lake, the Yellow Loogie - etc - and they don't really talk about what the different boards are meant for.

Are they different skill levels? Are they for different size wakes? Are they for different styles of surfing?

Anyways, I'm looking for a new surfboard. Want to try something newer and different. Not even sure where to begin.

I weigh 170 and have an 09' X2. I have no idea how the wake on an X2 compares to other boats, so having someone tell me a board is good for 'a larger wake' means nothing to me. When I had my 197, I thought that wake at 10mph was pretty big. Now I have the X2 and it seems huge in comparison, but I'm sure there is something bigger.

Want something that will fit in MC swivel board racks, will allow us to do some surface tricks as we progress, and is relatively easy to just cruise on behind the boat.

Any suggestions?

Also - where does my current board fit into the spectrum. The LF skimskate - what is it meant for as far as style, wake size, etc?

Thanks!
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-23-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nobody?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-23-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
You may have to narrow your choices if you want something that will fit in the factory racks. Never been on the new X2's, how much space do those arms provide?

As far as board choices go, I'll assume you prefer riding skim over surf. I would look at the Phase 5 Prop or Drew's pro model. Shred Stixx has a new skim board, not sure if its out yet and I don't know much about it though. For that matter look at any of the skim style boards out there. Is it possible for you to demo where you live?

As far as board classifications, I wouldn't say there is really a standard for wakesurf waves right now, sure we all like a nice big wave, but whats big to one rider could be huge to another. Like you said, its all perception.
Old     (wallnut21)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-23-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
If you are wanting to do surface tricks I'd suggest getting a skim style board. I've got a 06 X2 and I just bought a Phase 5 Carbon Drew XL and I can cruise on it all day long and hopefully I'll get my 360's down pretty quick. I also have an Island Surfer Blue Lake and it's VERY easy to cruise on.

As for your current board I'd stay away from all mass produced boards... Hyperlite, Liquid Force, Ronix, etc. Stick with Phase 5, Island Surfer, Shred Stixx, Walker Project, etc. They are more money but worth every penny!
Old     (wallnut21)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-23-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
FYI...Phase 5 Prop & Drew models fit in MC racks. My island Surfer Blue Lake does not.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
I love the P5s fit in wake racks!

Mwall has it right on.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-23-2009, 3:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. What is the difference between skim and surf styles? I looked at the inland lake boards, but saw there was quite a variety and had no idea which boards in their lineup were good for what.

I'd like to do some 360's soon, or at least try.

As far as demo possibilities go, there are a couple shops locally. The marina I bought the boat at carried CWB and maybe one other wakeboard name, but nothing like mentioned here. There is another local shop but I haven't been there in years. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-23-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
BoardersMall has an 06' Yellow Loogey listed for a great price. On Inland's site it mentions the yellow as being a good cross between surf and trick.

Think this would be a good board for some cruising, and moving into some tricks as well? Is a 2006 model too ancient?
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-23-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
Nevermind, that was an ancient link to a product no longer carried that i found via google.
Old     (loudnproud)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-24-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
Check out the Triple X boards. I have an X2 with the racks and both the Slasher Surf Style and the Composite skim style fits in the racks. Both these boards ride great and the price is right too.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-24-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
don't stop now, swing for the fences and make it a grandslam of spam
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
If you want wake SURF boards, i know our Walker Project Composite X and our Endless Break EB56 fit in the Mastercraft racks. Any skim style board should fit no problem.

Disclaimer: I ride for The Walker Project and I've shot for Endless Break.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-25-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Well if everyone else is doing it. All the phase 5 boards except the XL drew and the razz will fit in the racks. Get a drew in carbon and it will be very fast and easy to ride on.
Most people think skim style is "hard" to learn on but I teach clinics all over and use skim style boards and have no complaints.