Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-13-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
Ok so I fired my boat up for the first time in 7 months a few days ago...I had the "fake a lake" attached and the hose going full blast. After a few minutes I noticed I was BARELY getting any water out of the exhaust, then noticed my manifolds were getting hot to the touch so I shut it down right away. I couldn't imagine what the problem must have been since I JUST changed my raw impeller one year ago. I decided to check the inlet for obstruction on the power steering cooler, and look at what I found!!!

It turns out my one year old impeller literally blew to pieces, and all of them were cought by the screen in the cooler. Not only was most of it lodged in there, but apparently this must have happened in the past and the previous owner never thought to remove them because there were wayyyyy more broken fins/pieces in there. This explains why my motor would start to get slightly hot while idling for extended periods of time. I would have to put it in neutral and raise the rpm's a bit to get it cooled down. So take two minutes, get out there and check for obstructions!!

First pic is what I pulled out, second is a reference pic for anyone unfamiliar a power steering cooler...
Attached Images

Last edited by NotSure123; 05-13-2013 at 4:32 PM.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
Most of these boats dont have power steering (inboards), but good info for those that do own a boat with it.
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-13-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
Most of these boats dont have power steering (inboards), but good info for those that do own a boat with it.
hahaha I'm an idiot...it's a transmission cooler!! My bad! (used to my old I/O boat!)
Old     (Brearly_Mason)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-13-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
But they do have a transmission cooler that will do the same exact thing...
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-13-2013, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brearly_Mason View Post
But they do have a transmission cooler that will do the same exact thing...
Excellent point!

Still enjoying that like new 210? Still think about that boat when I see 1st gen 210s.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-13-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
yup!!!! our old merc 350 in the old malibu would do that when you shredded an impeller, couple screens in there though thank god.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-13-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
I don't trust merc impellers to last longer than a year... other mfrs I have heard of them lasting a long time. 20 bucks is cheap insurance I say change it every year/100 hrs or so..